Forums Latest Members

Antique silver Rolex Watch

1. Wongo Jun 12, 2015

What to do with it?
    I had it sitting in my safe of the past 5 years.
    I love this cos I have not seen anything like this in my collecting life.
    But how much would you guys say about this watch worth, it's not auction house worthy is it? Also looking for comments as to where to sell once I finished enjoying this..

image.jpg image.jpg

Geo! likes this.
  2. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jun 12, 2015

Protect that sticker on the back at any cost! If it sits in the safe, make it face down with nothing touching the reverse/sticker. Not a lot else you can do. You don't want the dial touched (for the radium), and it would just look awkward to wear.
    If it were mine, I would research the heck out of it and create a "bio" for it. I would then list it on a forum with heavy Rolex traffic (much as I love Omega Forum, I would suggest The Rolex Forum or Vintage Rolex Forum).
    As to value? Much of it is in that sticker on the back, but beyond a curiosity piece I couldn't say. Speaking again as if it were mine, it would be one of those things to keep where the curiosity value exceeded the monetary value.
    Unless this piece is worth a kajillion dollars and I'm completely clueless...

Geo! likes this.
  3. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jun 12, 2015

Not so much Vintage as Antique BTW

4. Wongo Jun 12, 2015

I think is one of those things... Can't do jack with it... Just let it sit for another 5 years....
    Taking it back to the safe again tomorrow.
    If this without sticker, no one would even bother.
    One interest thing I read from the sticker.. Kew Observatory in 1913-1914...

5. Wongo Jun 12, 2015

I never understood the difference. ::confused2::

6. LarryG not KennyG, not OG, just LarryG Jun 12, 2015

I've seen a number of these early Rolex trench watches- signed W&D (Wilsdorf & Davis) inside caseback- though never one with the sticker; they tend not to fetch top dollar at auction.
    Lovely though.

7. Wongo Jun 12, 2015

Its double with Rolex and W&D. Wish this will fetch me top dollar when I retire. haha, god knows when....

8. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jun 12, 2015

Very generally speaking over a century old is antique, to me anything before the 1935 really is antique and I often place WW2 as a benchmark because...why not? and because of the technology and economical changes that took place from 1935 to 1945. 25 years and older (up to 100 years) is Vintage, although in watches 25 falls a little short as a 1990 's are80is not often seen as Vintage...but many in the 80's are.

You're right it is a slippery slope and avery gray area, but to me this watch, as a 100+year old pocket watch with some components probably very early 20th century or late 19th is antique. I also see WW1 trench watches as more antiques than Vintage.