Forums Latest Members
  1. Scandinavian May 21, 2017

Hello everybody
    Thank you for having this great forum!!
    First off all I am sorry for my broken English, if you dont understand me right I will be pleased to explain in another way.

In my spare time I am tinkering with old watches and repairing , but I have got my hands on a new watch, I bought it from antique shop as it was not expensive and I thought I would take the chance.....

Now to my questions!
    of what I know it should be an omega seamaster 562 movement and a 166.002 case, but as I can see the dial is not the correct size and the strap is some kind of aftermarket non genuine, but the omega logo is engraved in the middle of the crystal so that is probably valid or genuine.

I have attached some images, just tell me if I should grab my slr and make some macro fotos of it.....
    Can anybody tell me some facts about this maybe or maybe not fake, omega seamaster frankenwatch.

Best regards, and thank you for your time! FullSizeRender-1.jpg FullSizeRender-2.jpg FullSizeRender-3.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_9860.JPG IMG_9862.JPG

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado May 21, 2017

First off, the dial has been very poorly refinished, which is really too bad since the case is quite nice.

Second, have you googled Omega 166.002?

3. Scandinavian May 21, 2017

of course I have been on google looking for the 166.002 case but I am unsure if its just a seamaster case or is it called a de ville and so forth and also what the diameter of the case is so I can look for a dial that fits.
    great to know that the dial I rubbish also the hands is not the right ones after what I see so the dial and hands are on their way to the garbage.

Delroyb and BrianMcKay like this.
  4. WatchWarlock May 21, 2017

As pointed out earlier, yes the dial is refinished. Also the crown looks a bit suspect.

5. BenBagbag May 21, 2017

I've been meaning to ask and waiting for the right redial to come up:

Any of the vets here know of 50's 60's seamasters or pre-seamasters that didn't have any minute track (not the devilles)? I feel like it is an obvious sign that it has been redone but would like to know if it isn't a blanket rule.

6. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? May 21, 2017

166.002 and 165.002 can also have Geneve on the dial.
    2017-05-21 002.JPG 2017-05-21 003.JPG

BrianMcKay likes this.
  7. Canuck May 21, 2017

Several missing screws! If you've bought it, I'd suggest you take it back. Most recently acquired vintage watches should be given a thorough service. But I wonder how extensive a service might be required, considering the missing screws.

8. WatchWarlock May 21, 2017

I just glanced at the handful I have in my box and it seems like you're right. Usually the obvious redials have terrible minute tracks instead. haha

9. Scandinavian Jun 2, 2017

Also the movememt and dial is NOT fitted right.
    I have heard that the 166.002 case has the dial fitted between the case and the crystal? As the crystal stel ring has a drop Down for the endte of the dial Is this a wrong information? does anybody know?

10. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Jun 2, 2017

I suspect that the dial and movement may have been swapped into the case. The dial and hands appear to be from an earlier watch. It is hard to tell with just the one dial picture. It also appears that the movement is not held in place properly, which might be the cause of the gap around the dial. We need more pictures and better quality.