Forums Latest Members

Anthony Bourdain passed away

1. shishy www.hpmor.com Jun 8, 2018

2. llvhhui Jun 8, 2018

I thought it was a joke when the notification popped up on my phone this morning. Then I realized it’s real...

3. Delbok Jun 8, 2018

Tragic end for this incredible character. Sometimes some personalities look so strong and unbreakable but you discover they were actually just human like anybody else. That makes me think about Bernard Loiseau...

4. jimmyd13 Jun 8, 2018

I've stopped looking at my phone when I get the BBC News tone ... it's always someone else who's died.

5. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Jun 8, 2018

That's a harsh bit of writing you linked too.
    Don't remember many other reports being as blunt as that

6. Edward53 Jun 8, 2018

I can't improve on that. So sorry to learn of this. Mrs E and I loved Kitchen Confidential.

ext1 likes this.
  7. shishy www.hpmor.com Jun 8, 2018

It was the first one I had seen... but yes it is rather direct.

Unfortunately it seems like it's been on the rise, especially as of late, even controlling for the fact that media has been reporting on them more frequently.

8. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jun 8, 2018

Wife calls it the "BBC Death Chime"

jimmyd13 likes this.
  9. gdupree Jun 8, 2018

Aw man... that makes me sad. I always liked his no BS approach.

Always thought he looked so badass with his tattoos and Rolex Explorer...

10. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jun 8, 2018

Kate Spade and now him. Suicide is increasing as a cause of death. Get help if you have these thoughts.

merchandiser, Kmart, X350 XJR and 2 others like this.
  11. sjg22 Jun 8, 2018

Really bummed out by this. Always appeared to be effortlessly cool and someone just about everyone enjoyed living vicariously through.

Suicides are up 25% since 1999 - modern life, despite incredible advancements, is challenging in its own way.

Pjotr1 likes this.
  12. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Jun 8, 2018

Traveled the world on somebody else’s dime. Analysis of food and drink was his job. Hot women. Then ends up in the end of a rope at only 61.
    I see and unfortunately have to talk to homeless street people that are the happiest mothers you will ever meet.
    Go figure......

jmazpiazu likes this.
  13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 8, 2018

When I first saw the news I figured maybe he passed out after a night of heavy drinking and choked on vomit, or maybe had a heart attack, but not taking his own life - that was a complete surprise to me. Always enjoyed his various shows, and he seemed to be living life fully, and said he had the best job out there. But reading more today a job that has you away from home for 250 days a year is tough on your personal life...

14. Sidrox25 Jun 8, 2018

I was a huge fan of his shows. I read his books as well. I extremely saddened to hear this news. I think his lifestyle may have made him lonely since he lived on the road all the time.

Such a waste

lillatroll likes this.
  15. Rman Jun 8, 2018

Loved ‘Kitchen Confidential’ and being a chef and world traveler in a former life, he was a hero to me.

Somehow I feel he would laugh at people saying “rest in peace.”

But your deserve a rest, Tony, and peace.

“I wanted it all: the cuts and burns on hands and wrists, the ghoulish kitchen humor, the free food, the pilfered booze, the camaraderie that flourished within rigid order and nerve-shattering chaos. I love the sheer weirdness of the kitchen life: the dreamers, the crackpots, the refugees, and the sociopaths with whom I continue to work; the ever-present smells of roasting bones, searing fish, and simmering liquids; the noise and clatter, the hiss and spray, the flames, the smoke, and the steam.”

merchandiser, ext1, Kmart and 6 others like this.
  16. FREDMAYCOIN Jun 8, 2018

What hurts me most is that they are leaving behind children who have to deal with their action for the rest of their young life’s.

jmazpiazu likes this.
  17. cristos71 Jun 8, 2018

I also worked more than 25 years in kitchens here, there and everywhere and am still in the industry to this day. His books were legendary amongst myself and my peers and they really gave an amazing and gritty description of life at the sharp end of cooking.

RIP Tony

18. larryganz The cable guy Jun 8, 2018

Yeah, sad, just now read about it when I woke up. R.I.P.

Sidrox25 likes this.
  19. Speedmasterfan88 Jun 8, 2018

Really sad news. Loved his shows, and have to catch up on his books. The Emilia Romana episode of No reservations remains my absolute favorite piece of Food-TV and I can’t count how many times I‘ve seen it to this day.

Rest in piece Anthony.

20. SteveZ28 Jun 8, 2018

A wonderful story teller that will live on through all of his shows and books.