Forums Latest Members

Another"watchmaker" gadget.

1. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 20, 2021

I have a dial from a Seiko 6105 Captain Willard / Naomi Uemura that's in pretty bad condition regarding the markers.
    Seems to be a common problem with vintage 6105s, probably due to the less than successful crown design.

Anyway, this dial needs to be re-lumed.

DialTest.png

First thing I did was make a dial holder from an old poly chopping board donated by Ms JiO. Then I tried making a dial mask to protect the dial while removing the lume.

DialMask.JPG

The mask idea was frustratingly fiddly and would probably cause more damage than protection, so another plan was needed.

While staring at the dial in its protective storage case, I had a light bulb moment.

Scarecrow Boat likes this.
  2. Willi Aug 20, 2021

And… what happened next?

3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 20, 2021

So back out to the garage and onto the lathe with the dial holder. A nice sharp graver and some material removal and the first bit was done.

DialHolderTrimmed.JPG

Next, I took another dial storage case cover, put it on the lathe and turned out the centre spigot and then drilled a 7mm dia hole in the cover at the same radius as the markers. Now test fitted and it looks fine. The blob of Rodeo is to provide a flexi mount for the lower dial foot.

DialHolderCover.JPG

After polishing/cleaning the parts it was put together with the dial for a test fit.

DialHolderComplete.JPG

As each marker is cleaned out, I use a vacuum probe to remove lume dust, then I'll lift the cover and place the aperture over the next marker.

If needed, I may put a strip of double sided tape under the dial to provide extra stability. I'll see how it goes.