Forums Latest Members
  1. halgedahl Mar 18, 2019

Hello fellow Omega enthusiasts!

This is my first post on the forum, and I'll just dive in with a question of authenticity of a Constellation 505 that is currently located in Jakarta.

I know, I know… I've already heard an earful from several watchmakers that I've contacted directly. "If it sounds to good to be true, then undoubtedly IT IS !" OK, ok. But I'd be greatly indebted to anyone with real knowledge who would care to comment on these photos. I should state up front that I'm a patina guy, and the watch's dial was my initial attraction. Photos of other Constellation dials have shown a misalignment of the minute marks similar to what appears here. So perhaps that's not a deal-breaker. In any case, your opinions not only welcome, but gratefully received!

Have good days, all!

Fred Halgedahl
    Reinbeck, IA
    Omega Constellation 505 w patina.jpg OC6.jpg OC3.jpg s-l1600-1.jpg 505 movement 3.jpg 505 movement 1.jpg 505 movement 4.jpg Omega Constellation 505 w patina.jpg

jankymutt likes this.
  2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Mar 18, 2019

Hi res photos would help.

3. Waxtactic Mar 18, 2019

@efauser - if I may add on here, aren't we seeing too much discoloration in the dial as it stands? I believe (and correct me if I am wrong), but in some cases isn't that a sign of too much oiling? I know "dial wear" is a matter of what you as a consumer are willing to tolerate, but isn't this a kind of red flag?

Eager to learn. Thank you.

Maybe likes this.
  4. Noddyman Mar 18, 2019

I think I can see a ‘T’ next to Swiss Made which would be too early for a 50’s Constellation.
    T markings only appeared around mid 60’s.

5. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Mar 18, 2019

Honestly, I don't know. I wish the photos were higher resolution so I could see the minute markers but also so I can see the "patina" better. From what I see, I kind of like it, regardless of the cause.

Maybe and Waxtactic like this.
  6. halgedahl Mar 18, 2019

Fellows,

I thought I'd posted this photo. SO sorry! No "T," I think. And remember, the patina is what I'm after. The comment about too much oiling is interesting.

505 dial 1.jpg

Waxtactic and jankymutt like this.
  7. halgedahl Mar 18, 2019

Also… a watchmaker who was kind enough to comment on the photos today mentioned this ".. that loss of plating on the auto bridge is disconcerting, and indicative of numerous and/or harsh cleanings over the years." Thoughts? (And thanks!)

8. WYO_Watch Mar 18, 2019

Without disclosing an asking price it is hard to say one way or the other. At $100 or $3000 this is an easy decision.

The inside of the caseback shows plenty of wear from the rotor spinning. The case overall looks pretty good IMO. And you seem to like the dial so maybe it’s a go, again price is going to guide you on that one.

9. halgedahl Mar 18, 2019

"My bad!" as my students used to say. Asking price, $1K. I'm guessing another K+ to make it ship shape—or? And would I be able to wear the watch, say, on a daily basis every now and then? I love my Speedmaster, and have other watches to wear for household chores, cutting the lawn, and the like. With the right strap I can even see this as a dress watch. But knowing that I'm going to have to invest at least as much to put it right, I'm being cautious on this one. It would be my first "vintage" purchase.

10. Dan S Mar 19, 2019

The printing looks quite good, but the edges of the pie-pan do not look as sharp as I would expect.

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 19, 2019

I'm not sure why "numerous cleanings" over the years would be disconcerting, as it would indicate that the watch was serviced regularly and taken care of. In any case, I don't believe the loss of plating indicates that, or that there were "harsh" cleanings.

The automatic system on these can come off as a unit, and it was sometimes swapped as a unit, so plating differences can be seen and are part of the normal life of a watch sometimes. In addition, I've seen many instances of Omega's plating just flaking off - not necessarily a sign of "numerous" and "harsh" cleanings, but just poor surface prep before plating.

If plating missing is bothersome to you from an aesthetic point of view, that's one thing. To indicate it is a sign of some other problem is not a conclusion I would immediately jump to.

12. halgedahl Mar 19, 2019

Many thanks for this. I was hoping for someone with "hands on" experience to jump into the discussion. But what would your frank assessment be regarding the $1K asking price for such a piece. I'm getting the message that perhaps swapping of parts over time (as long as they were genuine Omega parts) would not be considered unusual on a watch this age. It's a confusing business for a neophyte, as one sees perfectly fine looking examples for sale for not much more money. And to the untrained eye, many of those movements look like they've always belonged together, with no loss of plating, etc., etc. I do like the "obvious age" of this patinated dial, and would be very happy to have such an example in my collection. But I'd like to think that what I had purchased was an actual Omega Constellation, and that the watch ticking away on my nightstand is an Omega all the way.

I realize that if I were to send this to Omega for a service, all manner of parts might be replaced due to wear and tear. And it has even been suggested that Omega might not allow the dial to remain in its present state due to issues regarding warrantee. SO this might have to go to an experienced Omega restorer (like The Watch Guy? although there are undoubtedly fine repairmen here in America) who would agreer to leave the dial alone. Am I wrong to think there might be ways to stabilize (arrest) the patina at its present degree of degradation?

SO many question! I hope I'm not exceeding your patience (or that of others)! Very grateful for your contribution! FH

13. Davidt Mar 19, 2019

Whichever way you dress it up, that's a horrible dial in my opinion.

For me, patina should be degradation that is attractive. The the dial in the OP is just knackered.