Forums Latest Members

Another rare speedy saved from the scrap heap by STS

1. Tom Dick and Harry Sep 20, 2017

Afternoon all

As you know my tastes in omega are very eclectic, they range from RG chronometres to whacky 70's offerings

Now let me start by saying this watch is NOT for everyone but I love them, I have quite a few speedmasters ranging from 2998 to Speedsonics

I love the LCD speedies and whilst they are really marmite they have an important place in omega history and stable.

Some time back I bought and excellent condition LCD speedy but the movement was dead, as so many are

I eventually got round to sending it to STS, the MD tony did the work. We had a very long conversation over the watch and thankfully Tony is far more than a watch maker (don't get me started on the boat he build and showed me in their car park). Now many would simply replace the movement, Tony didn't, he put in a new quartz bar, part of the original LCD display and did some work to the circuit (including the light) and now here she is

Cudos to STS for having the talent, resources and spares to keep these beauties alive

IMG_8349.JPG IMG_8350.JPG IMG_8353.JPG IMG_8354.JPG

Edited Sep 20, 2017
  2. trackpad Sep 20, 2017

Cool piece. I love the bracelet on this one. :thumbsup:

3. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Sep 20, 2017

It also goes to prove that these movements can be repaired! PS I'm a huge Marmite fan. Love the comparison. Nice watch.

4. kov Trüffelschwein. Sep 20, 2017

Love it, congrats for having it back alive :thumbsup:

5. Mozziebite Sep 20, 2017

What's the deal with the Speedy bezel? ::confused2::

6. Tom Dick and Harry Sep 20, 2017

Assume you mean the Ed White? It is a very rare and most importantly original 1960's Decimal bezel available as an optional extra instead of the DON. Very similar to the service replacement but this is the real deal, you can tell the difference between this and the service replacement by the font and the spacing between numbers, especially the 7&0 etc, the font of the 7 is also different on the original V's service (along with other numbers)

Edited Sep 20, 2017
  7. Tom Dick and Harry Sep 20, 2017

Also, thanks for the comments chaps, I know these LCD speedies either have fans or don't (not much middle ground) but as you say its great that people will work on these movements. STS could have easily replaced the whole module (because they have lots of spares) but Tony really wanted to make sure the serial matched the watch as these watches like most other Omegas are recorded on their archive

Its an awesome thing and I love the fact everyone thinks I am wearing a casio, in fact one of my colleagues said today, 'I thought you liked watches? why are you wearing a casio?' needless to say they regretted the question ha ha ha

Edited Sep 20, 2017
    GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  8. MAT_ZAP Sep 20, 2017

I can't say that the LCD Omega's are my favorite, but I love seeing others passion for them and how different others taste is watches can be. I think the diversity keeps the whole community more interesting!

9. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Sep 20, 2017

Love it. Brings a lot of memories from the 70's.

10. Tom Dick and Harry Sep 20, 2017

Amazing leap in technology for me between the two watches pictures, there are only 12 years between the two watches, the 70's was a groundbreaking period for horology and whilst it nearly killed the swiss industry it changed the face of watch making forever

11. lillatroll Sep 20, 2017

Kudos to you for taking the time to get it sorted and even more kudos to STS for making such an effort to get it sorted. I am a big fan of the LCD/LED omega watches and I hope to add a few more to my collection down the line.

12. Ken G Sep 20, 2017

Wonderful stuff! Love it. Hats off to both you and the good people of STS. :thumbsup:

Big fan of LCD Omegas here - I don't have this particular model, but hoping to add it to the LCD stable one day...