Forums Latest Members

Another Rare 18k Tri-compax (ref. 181102)

1. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member May 26, 2013

This one didn't last long because the seller decided to let it go for USD3000 - a pittance given its rarity. It is the last 18K Tri-Compax reference, contemporary with the twisted lug steel references well known to UG enthusiasts.

It is not in the best condition, and was lifted out of a lot of 8 or so watches, most of them garbage or good watches in very poor shape at an estate sale earlier this month. The price allows the seller to make his nut, but again we have an instance of a person who has little idea about the watch's value ending early for a behind the scenes offer. Do people like that not realize that the offer would probably not be made if the buyer was not hoping to undercut a straight auction? In this case, the watch would have broken $5000 at auction.

tricompax.JPG

tricompax2.JPG

tricompax3.JPG

tricompax4.JPG

On the design side, it isn't as well composed as some other Tri-Compaxes IMO. There is necessarily a lot going on in a Tri-Compax, and the dial easily becomes overloaded and busy unless designed very carefully. Compare with a similar sister watch in steel..

[​IMG]

..and a similarly conceived Primero reference, the G 382

[​IMG]

I find both to be more successful

I am very interested to see a case so similar to the Zenith A 386/G 381 - clearly from the same drawing board. I don't recall the hallmark on the Zenith, but I won't be surprised to find hammerhead 136 inside.

[​IMG]

filmir and theblotted like this.
  2. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member May 26, 2013

Lou

Forgive the potential hijack from the Omega side of the fence, but the Tri-Compax dial puts me in mind of the Speedmaster moonphase dials which I think first appeared in 1999 with this cal 1866 piece

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1369604770.714351.jpg
    (Photo from Fratello/RJ)

As RJ points out, cal 1866 is based on Lemania caliber 1884, with the addition of a moonphase disc, a date and better finishing. The Tri-Compax further adds the day and month discs.

So, I'm wondering... how similar are the Tri-Compax movement(s) to the 1866 & do they share any common origins ?

3. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member May 26, 2013

No hijack at all - no fences in this forum!

Well, I don't know from the Lemania side, but from the UG side, the movement dates from the 1940s and belongs to Martel. Martel spun off from UG in the 1950s and was acquired lock, stock and barrel by Zenith in 1960. It is from Martel that Zenith gained the expertise to create El Primero. On the basis of that, I'd say there's no connection at all, similar though they may be from the dial side.

Anyone who knows the Lemania side of the history, or who knows more than I about the above, please jump in. How old is the 1866 and its parent movement?

4. tomvox1 Jun 16, 2013

I agree with virtually everything you said here, Lou, with the exception of your critique of the dial design. In the metal it is pretty stunning--the subregisters and minute track are the most delightful shade of cocoa. I was also strongly reminded of the early gold El Primero designs when I saw this watch in terms of case design with the wide faceted lugs and the layout of the dial. Other interesting things to note are that this model is actually a "jumbo" at about 37mm wide rather than the standard UG 35mm and that the inner casebacks all seem to have the "1" stamped in there--not sure if that is a casemakers signature or signifies something else.
    BTW, how did you find the reference # of "181102"?
    In any event, I definitely agree with your valuation estimate: in better condition, this late 18k Tri-Compax is worth well north of $5k. I've only ever seen this one that you posted and the one I just bought:
    18kTriCompax-Wrst_edited-1.JPG

;)
    All the best,
    Tom

Phranz and theblotted like this.
  5. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jun 17, 2013

I'm sure it's pretty darned impressive in person, Tom - I virtually never met a Tri-Compax I didn't like to some degree, and gold on gold rarely fails to make a statement. Besides, what I wrote just may have been colored by some regret at the fact that I was outbid at the estate auction where the watch in question sold initially (for handily under $3000). I got the reference number out of Pietro Sala's book - he's got one of these documented therein.

I find your watch looks better than the one I started the thread without the black paint on the hands, even if it decreases legibility. The matte black hands - original, as far as I can determine - are one of those design elements I was taking issue with in my comments above. Functional sure, but boy does it kill the look. Why not use hands that simply have a black element down the center, like the Zeniths? For that matter, why does UG insist on using these fat planks of metal on a watch that has so much information underneath them on the dial - there is hardly a time of the day when day, date, month or some subsantial part of the chronograph counters are not obscured.

6. tomvox1 Jun 17, 2013

Thanks, Lou--there must be some catalog material Mr. Sala has access to, as there is no number on these watches that I can find.
    FWIW, I believe mine is unpolished and there is no bevel or rounded edge to the lugs, as opposed to the example you show & the Zenith-style case. So maybe there are some minor differences with these perhaps due to chronology. I would have to believe these were produced in extremely small batches. But even if you missed out on that bargain, I have a feeling you're going to find another someday! :thumbsup:
    And I totally agree about UG hands--they are distinctive but somewhat ugly and certainly not very functional on a chronograph, much less a Triple Moon Chrono. At least with an all-gold tone, they kind of disappear into the dial on this model!
    All the best,
    Tom

7. tomvox1 Jun 17, 2013

There is no relation between the Omega Lemania 866/1866 (introduced 1985) and the UG 281/481. The Omega 866 is a sort of jury rigged moonphase grafted on to the 861. In speaking to my watchmaker, he did not have high regard for the Omega moonphase caliber even though he loves classic Omegas.

Here are the additional parts needed for the 866 (from Omega-Fanatic.com and all due credit to him):

[​IMG]

Another similar layout to these two is the Venus 190, a rare bird most "commonly" found in the Breitling 801 of the late 1940s:
    [​IMG]

Also no relation to the UG or the Omega. ;)
    Best,
    T.

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  8. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 18, 2013

Thanks Tom.

9. Alex Parreiras Jun 28, 2013

tricompax183.jpg tricompax182.jpg tricompax18.jpg I believe my was never polished and I like it with black hands tricompax183.jpg .
    Any idea how many where made?
    Alex
    tricompax183.jpg tricompax182.jpg tricompax18.jpg

LoMat, Phranz, theblotted and 3 others like this.
  10. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jun 28, 2013

Alex,

Great watch. Let me begin by saying... Dibs!

I don't know how many were made... I just know that it is beautiful, that it is the last of the gold Tri-Compaxes, and that it shares a case with one of my favorite watches, the El Primero G381, seen here on my hirsute wrist:

[​IMG]

I will add that yours is much nicer than the frightfully polished one in Sala's excellent book.

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 28, 2013

Hi and welcome Alex, very nice first post!

12. Alex Parreiras Jun 29, 2013

I think the tachymetre on the gold Universal is to wide, exotic but not as nice as your El Primero, the design of the hands and dials are often not the most legives, but always interesting, I love this 24 hours Compax with the scale of hours farther from the center of the display them the scale of minutes, obviously not worked, so they lengthened the pointer minutes which creates a lot of confusion to read the time.
    The following year the model was replaced and tidy design, which made the watch more readable however much less interesting.

2compax24h.jpg
    Rman, LouS and Gavin like this.
  13. Alex Parreiras Jul 3, 2013

I M not sure but I think this particular Universal model is a watch today for something around US$10-15k, I pay mine US$10k.

14. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 3, 2013

A few people use Tapatalk. Although it isn't fully supported it works well for the most part.

citizenrich likes this.
  15. Ki Su Bok Dec 16, 2015

I WANT PURCHASE. POSSIBLE?

16. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Dec 16, 2015

Probably not, since this thread is 2.5 years old, but I like your moxie.

mmpass, CafeRacer, southtexas and 7 others like this.
  17. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Dec 16, 2015

I want purchase at the prices of 2.5 years ago. :(

southtexas likes this.
  18. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Dec 17, 2015

I'm not sure I want purchase of that watch at the price Alex Parreiras mentions, even now.

19. TheRealMe Sep 1, 2019

I’d happily pay Alex’s price now.

20. Tempus Sep 2, 2019

Ah 2013, now I get the valuations! I was thinking "what are you guys talking about"::confused2::;)