Forums Latest Members

Another Private Sales Forum Etiquette Question

1. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 11, 2024

Dear Fellow OF Forum Members: I’m finally steeling myself to more purposefully cull some of the “collection”. I identified two candidates to go next. Both are excellent examples of a particular manufacturer series. Lo and behold, I note one such model of said series already up on Private sales, significantly weathered, and priced at or above where I was thinking of going with my watches. Do I proceed as planned? Do I let the sale already posted play out? If this was the Bay or C24, I’d not care but I don’t want to ruffle feathers here. Thanks as always for your collected wisdom….

2. YY77 Mar 11, 2024

How long are you willing to wait. If the price is/remains "too high" it won't sell, that shouldn't be your problem imho.

Dsloan, Omegafanman, Syrte and 4 others like this.
  3. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Mar 11, 2024

Just my opinion Larry but I have often seen this exact scenario play out in the Privates sales. If you choose to sell at a lower price or maybe the alternative is over-priced then I don't see the issue. The other member could adjust their price accordingly or not as the case maybe but I wouldn't be offended if it were me.

Fish70, Twocats and Larry S like this.
  4. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Mar 11, 2024

Larry S and cineaste like this.
  5. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Mar 11, 2024

I see no issue. :thumbsup:

Maybe, Deafboy and Larry S like this.
  6. 140dave Mar 11, 2024

No harm no foul IMO, more of a sales positioning or marketing question to me, not an ethical one. I only wait when I have a watch to sell in the same condition at the same/similar price levels as one listed. I dont feel I have to, just seems advantageous to me as a seller to wait in that case.

Maybe and Larry S like this.
  7. cristos71 Mar 11, 2024

Only a problem when the other one is both better and cheaper than the one you're planning on selling!

Aludic, Bernhard J, CBM1590 and 5 others like this.
  8. wagudc Mar 11, 2024

I think you are being too polite here @Larry S. Each person sets their own price based on their reading of the market and their own personal motivations. The other seller might be thinking to themselves consciously or unconsciously "I don't really want to let this watch go, but if I can get $$$$ I will." Either that or you have simply read the market differently. The other seller may think that you have erred in pricing your watch too low or that they have priced theirs too high, but I don't think that anyone will think you are maliciously trying to undercut them.

One could also take the perspective of the buyer who buys the watch in poorer condition only to have you post a nicer one in better condition at or below the price they paid. I think the proper etiquette is to post your watch for what you think is the appropriate price without waiting.

9. josiahg52 Mar 11, 2024

No issue.

Larry S likes this.
  10. fiberguy Mar 11, 2024

I dont see an issue.

Larry S likes this.
  11. YYTIN Mar 11, 2024

I find it nice that this can be discussed here.

From a buyer perspective it happened to me to buy a good example at a correct price to see the next week a better one at very similar price so I wished the 2nd seller would have not wait and I would have bought the better one.

From a seller perspective : I got your point but it remains a market place so the offer/demand remains true. GLWS !

pdxleaf and Larry S like this.
  12. Evitzee Mar 11, 2024

Zero issue, none. It's your property and you can do whatever you want with it; sell it, give it away, throw it away, it's up to you. Set your price and let the market work.

13. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Mar 11, 2024

Go for it, you're not responsible for other members possibly inflated valuations.

CBM1590, wagudc, JwRosenthal and 3 others like this.
  14. Davidt Mar 11, 2024

People can purposefully or inadvertently mis-price watches when listing them for sale, here or on any other platform. Neither should stop anyone from listing their own watch the the price they see fit.

Larry S likes this.
  15. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Mar 11, 2024

I see no issue.

Larry S likes this.
  16. peatnick Mar 11, 2024

I waited once for another member’s private sale to sell before listing a similar watch from the same brand and style.
    By the time the other member’s watch sold I had a change of heart on my sale, I still have that watch . . .

if you have 2 you plan to sell anyway maybe post the one that hasn’t got a similar version in the private sales forum first?

Larry S likes this.
  17. Dan S Mar 11, 2024

If the other watch were listed at a bargain price, then I might wait. But in the situation you described, I'd just go ahead and list the watch.

CBM1590, Gav1967, Mark020 and 2 others like this.
  18. JwRosenthal Mar 11, 2024

I held off listing a watch to give another member enough grace to let theirs play out (it was high for the condition imo). After a couple weeks it hadn’t sold and the member hadn’t adjusted their price, so I posted mine at the price I wanted and it sold quickly. If they had heartburn with that, perhaps they should reevaluate their expectations.

cineaste, cristos71, DaveK and 5 others like this.
  19. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Mar 11, 2024

This^^

Larry S likes this.
  20. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Mar 11, 2024

A very good point.

wagudc and Larry S like this.