Forums Latest Members
  1. WhiteThorn Jun 16, 2021

So I’m looking at some of these vintage omegas and they look rather pleasing. Wanting to understand what I’m buying... I’ve read the how to fish section (amazing) and the first thing I need a reference photo...find the reference on omega website... it’s a different watch.
    I’m stuck...

this is the watch I’m looking at

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324678549639Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

this is the omega site.

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-gb/watch-omega-geneve-omega-st-166-0118

would sure appreciate a bit more help learning how to fish.

2. MRC Jun 16, 2021

Seven photos from the dial side and all of them have the hands obscuring the Omega signature? Hmmmmm.....

3. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jun 16, 2021

and seller specializes in selling watches so should know. And there’s a big scratch at the back. And most importantly no picture of the inside of the case back, where the reference number should be inscribed.

if it is indeed the same reference on the Omega website and it is a completely different watch it means the case back has been swapped or transplanted, it’s called a « franken » or a « put together ».

YY77 likes this.
  4. apsm100 applysome! Jun 16, 2021

I think it's all good (ref 166098) besides the crown (and it being from the "dark era" of Omega-- plastic movement holder :unsure:).

Edited Jun 16, 2021
    WhiteThorn likes this.
  5. WhiteThorn Jun 16, 2021

Thanks for the comments. I was really hoping someone could help me find the original reference (or point me in the direction of how I find it) so that I can see if I can work out what’s wrong with it :)

p.S. just noticed the last post has given me the reference! :)

did you just know it or did you manage to look it up somehow?

6. WhiteThorn Jun 16, 2021

What can you see wrong with the crown?

I note the watch is quite scratched generally.

obviously not an omega strap.

I notice a phew of these that look serviced / polished in various places for £750-£1000 with omega strap. I imagine it would cost that much for a strap and service

7. apsm100 applysome! Jun 16, 2021

A quick Google search of the caliber will show you all the references that exist. Find one that matches and narrow down your search. If you can find several examples that match (dial, case, hands, crown, movement, etc) you can be fairly confident it's original. But this takes practice!

I honestly would not want to pay more than £200 for a watch like this, even in better condition.

8. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jun 16, 2021

timecube and apsm100 like this.
  9. WhiteThorn Jun 17, 2021

thank you, I never thought of searching the caliber!

apsm100 likes this.
  10. WhiteThorn Jun 17, 2021

I should have been clearer, I’m not looking for an easy buy, the link you sent is clearly a lovely example. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy from someone in the forum but I don’t think I’ll learn anything doing it that way. (Other than how to advertise a watch!)