Forums Latest Members

Another Jaeger chronograph, redial?

1. mr.kaplan Jan 22, 2016

Hello, I would like your help about this watch: is it a redial?
    I think so but I am not 100% sure.
    Thanks.

Jlc1.png Jlc2.png
  2. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 22, 2016

It looks like a 1940-50's non-US model, probably with a Universal Geneve cal 285 movement (indicated by the flat pushers). The dial markings do look correct, although there were so many dial variants it's hard to be totally sure. The printing is good quality, although the red telemetre track bugs me. It's a bit heavy. If it's a redial it might be a proper JLC restoration job.

Circumstantially, one would have to believe that a non-waterproof watch could survive for 70 years in this condition. What do you know about it's history, the climate of the country the owner lived in, etc? There's a high probability its a restoration, but it's hard to be totally sure based on two pictures.

Basically, it's unusual to see one this old in this condition - if it's a dealer watch & the dealer has a good stock of similar condition pieces like this then I'd lean towards it being a restoration. That's just me though, YMMV !

3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 22, 2016

Could be a Jaeger done restoration as they do good work

Darlinboy likes this.
  4. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jan 22, 2016

This is the most likely I'd say.

I haven't seen any non-JLCs redials this good, and I do think this one is very well done, though it doesn't line up as well with the hour/minute hands as an original would.

5. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 22, 2016

Dennis had them do some work and he was amazed. @ulackfocus

6. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Jan 22, 2016

It's a redial - but a very pleasing one. Not a fan of the hands, though. They're not meaty enough for that watch IMO.

7. ulackfocus Jan 22, 2016

8. timjohn Jan 22, 2016

It's well done, but the red of the telemetre scale is a bit startling for a 70-year old watch.

image.jpeg

BlueBoy likes this.