Forums Latest Members

Another "Help with next watch" thread plz!

1. alford78 Jan 27, 2016

I'm newer to collecting but have had a Sub 16610 since 2006 but have always glanced at watches while shopping but just never pulled the trigger since was perfectly content with the Sub.

But rewind back to the Omega commercials on the D/GSOTM and it was like a light switch was turned on because had went from browsing while shopping and randomly looking on the net to having an urge for a new piece.

It didn't take long at all to acquire the GSOTM and it was/still is my favorite watch I own but I'm searching/reading reviews, and price checking all over the net and forums like crazy for my next purchase.

A month after purchasing the GSOTM I bought a Rolex Cellini 5330 in Rose Gold. When it arrived I was happy but nowhere near as happy as either the Sub or GSOTM purchases. I find myself constantly searching for my next purchase hours out of each day with no clear direction.

My favorite brands based on appearance, feel, and reputation are- in no particular order

Rolex
    Omega
    Patek Philippe
    JLC
    VC
    A Lange and Sohne
    FP Journe
    Panerai (maybe)

I'm not really worried about spreading the collection out by different complications at first- instead I'm going for the pieces that speak to me the most.
    Rolex pros- most higher end models have superior clasps- many gold and SS models I truly like
    Cons- wish some of the gold models had strap watches like the day date for example. It's deployant clasp is awesome.

Patek pros- they are the most beautiful by far
    Cons- repair turn around time and QC recent issues - high dollar

JLC pros- affordable, very detailed, many genres
    Cons- precious metal units aren't much less than PP

VC pros- great movements and heritage
    Cons- kind of expensive for average design appearance

ALS pros- one of the best built, great detailing
    Cons- high dollars and personal preference on aesthetics

FP Journe pros- very elegant. Not over the top and just right in my eye
    Cons- high dollar yet again but built like a tank

Panerai pros- unique, tough, affordable, wide selections of models and accessories
    Cons- have read some scratching of crystal is possible

I left Omega out because I only really like the DSOTM models and very few others because the clasps issues.

I'm to the point where I'm either looking for a rose,pink, or white gold watch most of the time but then I catch myself looking at SS options like VC overseas, paneria, nautilus, aquanaut, and some Rolex models. I'm just stuck!!! I want a PP sport or Calatrava but feel Ill be missing out on a couple less expensive watches if went that way.

I can only afford to purchase between 1 and 3 watches a year so buyers remorse would really suck. I'm really leaning towards the Aquanaunt, Nautilus, or the JLC master control q1542520 rose gold with blue second hand but been around in circles with these for months now lol.

Any and all help would be great. Anything from overlooked watches to experiences with said watches.

Thanks all!
    Alex

2. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jan 27, 2016

You have quite the dilemma on your hands (wrist!)
    I can wholeheartedly recommend a Nautilus. I owned an Aquanaut just prior to the Nautilus. While many owners love the "fly under the radar" look and feel of the Aquanaut, for me it did nothing. A Nautilus on its bracelet is a sporty, classy watch that works in every situation for me, and I love the style which can be very polarizing.
    Yes, I will dread the service time (my first Nautilus took eight months for a cleaning, no repair as far as I know). As for QC, all watches suffer. You'll hear the high price watch owners scream the loudest because they expect perfection for the relative price.
    I haven't owned a contemporary JLC, so can't speak to ownership experience. I also cannot cite my sources at the moment, but have read the JLC movements can be finicky. Servicing the JLC doesn't sound like a real treat either.
    I think you have to accept the possible cons of owning a high-end example like Patek Philippe, or forever wonder what it's like. If you find it to be a miserable experience, they (PP Nautilus or Aquanaut) do hold value such that parting with one won't hurt too bad financially speaking.
    Good luck!

alford78 likes this.
  3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 27, 2016

Put them all into a hat and pick one or two out.

alford78 likes this.
  4. NT931 Jan 27, 2016

Alex, since you're in the PP/VC/FPJ/AL&S price range (lucky you!) , have you considered :
    1. the Royal Oak? That's another lovely watch that transitions from dressy to casual very easily.
    2. a Lange 1? If you don't mind asymmetric dials, that is (and I'm guessing you're OK with them since you mentioned FPJ). A bit dressier but can still be worn on weekdays and weekends, and come in YG, RG, plat and WG depending on your preference.
    3. a Reverso (many possibilities, with SS YG RG WG versions)
    The Nautilus, as mentioned, is another lovely one. I don't own one (I wish I did!) but having tried them on before, the 5711 and 5712 are lovely.

In any case, yours is a happy dilemma :D. Take your time, and don't rush the decision!

Edited Jan 27, 2016
  5. alford78 Jan 27, 2016

Thanks all. I should have mentioned my price range for this next piece. The plan is to only purchase one watch this year so it can be a little more expensive than normally. I'm shooting for no more than $25-27k USD which would be enough for a Nautilus, an entry level ALS, or FPJ. The JLC rose gold q1542520 can be had for under $12k but it's more of a dress watch only or really dress casual which is fine since that how I dress most days. The same could be said about the different Calatravas I'm interested in as well but won't let that affect my judgement.

VC and Panerai are last on my list for this purchase; although, I will have some of their offerings at some point. Right now I'm just starting to build my collection and feel like I want a statement piece next even though I feel like my GSOTM is quite the statement piece in its own right but in its own way.

As far as a Royal Oak I just don't really gravitate to them for some reason. I can see the beauty and appeal of them but just not for me. But that's also coming from a person who wasn't tried one on yet. I just feel that PP did a better job of designing the ship's window/hatch so don't see the need in two watches of the same principle design just yet in my early stage of building the collection. Just like I personally like VC's Overseas model equally if not better than my RLX Sub but can't flip the Sub because it was my first nice watch that I bought for myself as a graduation present to self lol. But one day I will break and buy the Overseas for sure.

My daily dress is designer jeans or slacks, Robert Graham shirts (not the colorful club shirts but the nicer stuff) Ralph Lauren Purple, Tom Ford, many sweaters and many French cuffs, exotic skin shoes and hand made shoes of many designs, can't go without wild colorful socks. Never wear yellow gold or rings (not even my carbon fiber wedding ring) or necklaces. The only jewelry I wear are watches, cuff links, and nice modern custom belt buckles (not western). I'm 6'2" 225lb average build.

Ok so maybe that painted a picture. Of me and my character/lifestyle

My watches

Rolex SS Sub date 40mm Sports watch that can be casual or dressed up but no jacket

Rolex Cellini 5330 Rose Gold cream dial rose numbers with brown gator strap. Can be casual with a new strap change but kinda small at 35-36mm so more towards dress. Manual wind

Omega GSOTM I think this watch is extremely versatile especially when I finally get a Ti/Ceramic deploymant clasp way can put on my black strap. Has chrono, is on down low since not commonly seen. Dial isn't white or dark. Kinda just right to mix in well.

With all that laid out it makes me realize it might not be a good idea to get the Aquanaunt 40mm since it would be another black dial SS sport watch. But have a bracelet and rubber strap available on it could be nice. That may be the only positive. ????? Thoughts

The JLC Q1542520 Rose Gold 39mm slim too is just one of them watches that I'm really drawn to. It has a white/cream colored dial like two of the watches I already have but is in a completely different league than the Cellini by far. So it would be my first true dress watch.

PP 5711 is one of the best looking watches bar none IMO. I'd have to have the blue dial since I'm white heavy even though I like the white dial pretty much just as much. I don't know if I could wear it with a jacket even though many do. Guess I'm just a little old school like that. Pride of owning it may take over to the dark side once try it out though. And what type of adjustments can be made with the Natulis bracelet clasps? Is there any micro adjustments or is it purely based on replacing different link sizes until it fits just right? And I could go for just about any of the new Calatravas in a white or rose gold no problem but they aren't much more refined than the likes of JLC for the money IMO. Too many options and variables when talking Calatravas.

ALS would most likely have to be an entry level watch along the lines of the 1815 or a used higher end piece. I like the randomness of their dials when step up in price.

FPJ would also need to be more of an entry piece like the Invenit et Fecit Chrono Bleu. That dial is just amazing and it is an all around piece. Dress it up or down.

Then one last curve ball- RGM made in the ol' US of A. Something about their watches scream luxury and the dials are to kill for but there's just not much information on them for me to spend the coin. But if anyone has any input I'm all ears.

I'm not really much of a complication nutt just yet so that will play well less of a roll in my perception of a watch than its appearance/overall character. I do want an annual and perpetual one day but that will be a ways off until I can truly afford one that I really really want, not one to just satisfy the need for the collection.

Thanks all if you made it this far as I truly appreciate all the input. After all I'm just a novice compared to most around here.

Edited Jan 28, 2016
  6. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jan 27, 2016

Check IWC

7. alford78 Jan 27, 2016

I like quite a few of their watches very much but not for my 2016-2018/20 Grail. There are a bunch in the $8k to $15k price range I will try on at some point for sure. I'd say they are next on my list under what I wrote above.

I really like bracelet watches but only have worn ones from Rolex that I really like the adjustability of. It seems like way too many companies skimp on the clasp and bracelet on $4k-$10k watches. I had always thought most luxury watches were like Rolex since it was my first and only watch for some 8 years. Then I tried on an Omega that couldn't be adjusted and it blew my mind!!!!! I like strap watches too but with shorts I prefer bracelets most of the time.

And my favorite Rolex strap watch has to be the 2013 Day Date 36mm series with the hidden clasp that isn't all bulky. I wish I could have a clasp like that on all my Rolex strap watches. It's a shame the Day Date II has the big clunky clasp

Edited Jan 27, 2016
  8. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Jan 27, 2016

Well, I have wanted a VC Overseas for years. My Sub was my favorite watch, always getting the most wrist time in rotation with several other watches. I finally got an Overseas in a trade on Jan. 5 and have not even considered putting one of my other watches, Sub included, since.

alford78 likes this.
  9. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jan 27, 2016

PP and VC are a whole other matter. JLC is amazing. But at this level you're looking for I would focus less on a brand and more on a watch. At least for me if I had that budget I would literally not care at all about the brand and just look for a watch that made me smile.

alford78 and Optimizer13 like this.
  10. alford78 Jan 28, 2016

I totally agree it just so happens that the watches I mentioned are made by these brands. Just like the JLC q1542520. It might be my favorite watch based on looks that I can afford but some say they can be finicky.

11. flyingout Jan 28, 2016

I've got the earlier cal 889/2 version. I have read comments about it with respect to the IWC Mark XII that it is not sturdy enough. Who knows. Maybe in a sports watch if you bang it around. In my case it has been a stellar movement. Silky smooth and accurate despite waiting 15 years before its first servicing. I wouldn't shy away, especially for a dress watch. Now if the watchmakers among us have a different opinion…

Cheers

alford78 likes this.
  12. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jan 28, 2016

I see a lot of watches listed and being discussed, but I don't see a lot of pictures...

:taunt:

alford78 and CanberraOmega like this.
  13. alford78 Jan 28, 2016

Lol ok I'll post them up just for the fun of it.

We all know threads like this are pointless without pics! ;-)

oddboy likes this.
  14. alford78 Jan 28, 2016

Top is JLC q1392420. This is very similar to the next one but has a gold deploymant which I prefer so could go with this over the q1542520. Both are 39mm.

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Edited Jan 28, 2016
    oddboy likes this.
  15. alford78 Jan 28, 2016

VC Overseas blue of course but like other models as well.

image.jpeg
    Edited Jan 28, 2016
    AAAKK and Taddyangle like this.
  16. alford78 Jan 28, 2016

I can't figure out how to place pics where I want way can just make a chain in one post so bare with me please.

RGM 801-ee but they have some other nice offerings as well but just not much info or reviews so doubt would have one made and second hand are few and far between

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Edited Jan 28, 2016
  17. alford78 Jan 28, 2016

FPJ Chrono Bleu love the dial

image.jpeg
    Taddyangle likes this.
  18. alford78 Jan 28, 2016

ALS these two are in the mix

image.jpeg image.jpeg
  19. alford78 Jan 28, 2016

Everyone knows these PP watches but here are what I would choose from
    5127r
    5227g
    5711/1a-010

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.png
  20. alford78 Jan 28, 2016

Now I know there are a bunch of watches listed but these are the ones I find myself reading/watching reviews of time and time again. I'm drawn to them for sure but have never been able to wear one or try one on since there isn't a retailer anywhere near me.

Also keep in mind that even though I'm going to be able to purchase a Grail watch in my standards that doesn't mean I will be able to do so again for quite some time. Saving for a $5000-$10,000 purchase isn't easy but can manage to do it every now and then but a $20k+ purchase is much harder for me.

Thanks all again!