Forums Latest Members

ANOTHER GMT 1675 OFFERED

1. erpin9 Jun 7, 2015

This 1675 GMT was offered to me by a local dealer. This is the picture of the watch emailed to me. It looks very clean and I am not sure if the bezel is the correct one. Any comment would be highly appreciated. Thanks.
    [​IMG]

2. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Jun 8, 2015

As this thread seems very similar to other ones you have posted in the past, I suggest that you take some more time to study these watches. I don't mind helping out but many of your threads are of the same nature. Vintage Rolex Sport Models by Skeet & Urul might be a good starting point.

From a quick glance, I can tell you that the dial looks off and should not have date at the end of the text for a 1675. I'm not sure if it's the lighting, but the printing also looks a weird silverish color. I would pass.

Dedalus and Nobel Prize like this.
  3. erpin9 Jun 8, 2015

Thanks for the help. When I check the internet for information on the GMT 1675, I have not come across something that is as informative and thorough that will help me check the authenticity and originality.

I live in the Philippines and not so many vintage watch collectors here who are experts in old brands like Omega and Rolex. If I rely on the pre-owned dealers, I am sure they will tell me everything I want to hear about the watch because they are just after my money.

As far as checking if its authentic I can handle that but for me to tell if that bezel, hands or dial is original for that model or not is where I get lost sometimes. I have made some costly mistakes before. For example, I was offered a few years ago a Rolex Explorer II 1655 complete with box and papers and we brought it to the local Rolex Center who certified the watch was authentic. The problem was the center did not tell me that the watch I bought has a service dial and bezel already. Its only now that I realized such original replacement parts will knock off several thousands of the dollars from the price compared to an all original watch.

Many thanks to all the members here who have been very helpful to all my queries. I am still a greenhorn as far as collecting watches are concerned but I am getting there.

4. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Jun 8, 2015

Some good resources here :)

http://www.gmtmasterhistory.com/
    http://www.5513mattedial.com/About.html

Vintage Rolex Dial archive on VRF

http://vintagerolexforum.com/

5. redpcar Jun 8, 2015

Dial and bezel insert both look Chinese. Makes me wonder about the rest of the watch. Reason enough to stay away.

6. LarryG not KennyG, not OG, just LarryG Jun 10, 2015

I find it hard to believe that you can tell the difference between a Mark IV and V dial on a 1680, but can't tell the obvious flaws in this woeful 1675.

7. erpin9 Jun 11, 2015

Yes because the Red Sub has many detailed information on the internet but for the 1675 I don't see much.

8. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jun 11, 2015

Did you place a call to dealers to offer you shit like this? My suggestion is to absolutely not deal with whomever is trying to push this on you. Reverse the system, find a reputable dealer and give him a list of what you want and make it clear to them that their job is to source real, authentic watches to you and filter the shit out. If I got offered some of the duds you do for what I can only assume are prime fees I would have a blacklist to rival Kim Jong Un's

Edited Jun 29, 2015
    lenny likes this.
  9. Stratos Jun 29, 2015

the dial is a poorly done immitation...

this said and if more people agree on this, there is nothing else to say about this example.

marco likes this.