Forums Latest Members

Another Gentle Reminder to Insure Your Packages

1. WatchVaultNYC Feb 19, 2018

I just got off a call with Fedex, apparently the shipping label was separated from the package (quite impossible, as the label was printed on sticker paper) and is now lost. I am thinking it is theft. It's insured though, so both me and my buyer will be made whole. Waste of a 2220.80 though.

Stolen packages through Fedex are rare occurrences to me, about 1 in 750 packages are lost or stolen (99.87% arrive without a hitch), the last being a Railmaster last year that was lost somewhere in the 50 miles between me and my buyer.

Take away is - insure your packages! You never know if your package is in the unlucky 0.13% !

2. Perseus Feb 19, 2018

What insurance do you recommend for individuals? I usually use USPS but I question what it would take to get a claim paid if the unexpected happened.

Thanks!

3. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 19, 2018

Parcel pro.

WatchVaultNYC likes this.
  4. IDXM Feb 19, 2018

That hits hard. How difficult is the claim process? CA59E0CA-6C84-4F11-AB1C-3663974ED1AD.jpeg

5. gemstar Feb 19, 2018

Sorry to see this happened.That and all the porch pirates thefts happening. Had a similar problem with Canada post in the mid 80's as a Teen entrepreneur. Item was registered and sig required. A crook dealer refused to accept return of thousands of dollars worth of Golden age comics (2) package mysteriously disappeared on it's way back to me from Quebec. Took Canada post to court at 17 wearing my Don Johnson Miami vice outfit .Lol. I won but through a legal loophole I was only entitled to $50.. Hope you get all your money back..

6. Starman71 Feb 19, 2018

I once had a business shipping products to consumers. Read the fine print on USPS insurance. If you are willing to wait months for your claims...

WatchVaultNYC and IDXM like this.
  7. 77deluxe Feb 19, 2018

+1 Parcel Pro.

8. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Feb 20, 2018

not uncommon for a sticky label to come off. I make it a hapit of taping over the label in addition to using sticky labels on the box.

9. larryganz The cable guy Feb 20, 2018

Lately when I've sent watches via overnight FedEx they won't let me tape the label to the box, and insist that the label go in a pouch adhered to the box. That seems like asking for trouble to me.

A couple of years back my NOMOS Midnight Orion #5/75 was stolen AFTER FedEx picked it up, where the label was moved from my generic but specially marked and identifiable box into a FedEx marked box, and delivered to the NOMOS service center filled with potato chips.

Fortunately there was video at the FedEx drop-off showing that my specially marked box made it onto the FedEx truck, and so the theft occurred within the FedEx infrastructure. Dan at Timeless Luxury Watches used ParcelPro for the insurance, but I never heard back whether they caught the Perp.

WatchVaultNYC and jetkins like this.
  10. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Feb 20, 2018

Sounds like you need another Fedex office :)
    There is no reason you cant use a normal label....and they are preferred for domestic shipments.

I use the pouches all the time...but they are intended for International shipments which require 3 copies of the waybill along with customs docs. They are completely safe...ive sent hundreds of packages using the pouches and not one single issue.

Archer likes this.
  11. larryganz The cable guy Feb 20, 2018

Well, today I went to another location, and they did go ahead and tape my label directly to the box as requested. But the usual place where I go to pack them up with a witness wants to make me use an envelope - told me they "have to take out the label to scan it".

12. kkt Feb 20, 2018

And what could possibly go wrong with taken the label out to scan at every point?

13. trackpad Feb 20, 2018

My own gentle reminder in support of double boxing – where both the inner and outer boxes carry shipping labels. Also, the larger your outbox can be the better. Shoebox size is ideal for preventing theft or "misplacement".

I think these are roughly the guidlines offered by ParcelPro, but are good practice regardless of your insurer's requirements – and an absolute must if you are just winging it on your own....which you shouldn't do!

For good measure, I always include a third label wrapped in the padding of the item itself. Probably overkill. :whistling: And lastly, a photocopy of my extended middle finger. JUST IN CASE!

BenBagbag, Kmart, ATWG and 3 others like this.
  14. WatchVaultNYC Feb 20, 2018

Although Parcel Pro has had a bit of a mess in the last month while updating their website that affected everyone.

It's so easy. Highly recommend it, if you're using Parcel Pro. USPS OTOH is a nightmare. I am not sure if anyone remembers my lost inbound WG 1803, but the seller still has not gotten a refund from USPS yet, and thats been more than a year!

Are you serious???

Thats a very good idea. I will implement this ASAP.

larryganz likes this.
  15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 20, 2018

Yep - I always tape over the label...

WYO_Watch, BenBagbag, ATWG and 3 others like this.
  16. kov Trüffelschwein. Feb 20, 2018

For those who suggest ParcelPro - how to use it as a private seller?

I've tried to register on their webiste but it looks like I must be an established business to register. :unsure:

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 20, 2018

Call them and talk to someone...they do allow private sellers to get accounts.

WatchVaultNYC and speedamatuer like this.
  18. Wryfox Feb 20, 2018

+1 Tape over the label.

Also tape along all edges of the box or pouch. I don't care how tough those tyvek pouches are, I've seen some that come to me that look like they have been flushed and fished out of the river.

ALWAYS include an invoice or packing list inside outer box and a business card in the inner package.

I also take pictures of box in inner packaging and then outer package with label. Cell phone cameras today make that too easy. Set your camera to date and time stamp. Have something recognizable in your house or shop in the background of the pic to prove you took it.

Wrap inner packages in plastic wrap or ziplock bags. Again, I've received soggy messes in my mail box and doorstep.

If possible snap a quick pic of it on the counter at the drop off (if you drop off), ideally with the employee in the frame. Be discreet, some folks don't like that but I just say I can't be too careful (in a fatherly tone). I'm an older guy so I look most most of these guys dads.

If you drop off at the USPS/Fedex/UPS, drop it in the inside chute or hand personally to desk person. Most will do this without you having to stand in line. I walk in and say in slightly elevated but determined voice "I have a drop off, can I just hand this too you?". I never drop off in outside chutes, ever. I've seen other people's packages hung up on the chute box swing door,..could have taken them right back out...nobody would have known.

I have found that the most critical person in the loop is the person who touches it first at the shipper. I have relationships with as many as I can...in fact its so good now I have the personal phone numbers for my USPS carriers and Fedex dist center schedulers and pickup/delivery people. Happy people take better care of how the package enters the system, and I let them know nicely when its important to take care. Nothings better than having someone to call directly to help chase down a shipment.

I have just signed up with Parcel Pro and the rep seems very helpful and decent, so I'll try that out with the next high value.

19. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 20, 2018

HI

I did the exact same thing at a Staples UPS drop off... Was shipping an uncommon clock... they just slapped the stickly lable on the box... at an angle... I asked if they had any tape to put over the label to secure it... NO clear tape.... I went to aisle 5# and bought a 3 pack of tape then went back to the shipping counter and taped over the label!

end of story package arrived !!

Bill

trackpad likes this.
  20. kov Trüffelschwein. Feb 20, 2018

Thank you, Al. Will do. :thumbsup: