Forums Latest Members
  1. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jan 16, 2015

[​IMG]

A few weeks back, I made a tentative inquiry about a Speedmaster that had been located in a pawn shop in a nearby town. http://omegaforums.net/threads/how-much-speedmaster-can-1400-buy.19634/

I returned to the shop yesterday and got it so the "fat's in the fire" and for better or worse I've adopted the first Speedmaster into the collection. The Forum's bad that way. I was happy with three Omega watches when I joined the Forum yet two more have wormed their way into the watch menagerie since joining. The Forum and its many posts is helpful when a crash course in Speedmaster variants is needed.

The inevitable inquiry about the possibility of price negotiation produced a quoted price lower, startlingly lower than the price I was initially prepared to offer so that I meekly agreed to pay it without even attempting a counter-offer. It was as if they wanted the watch out of there. As if it was infecting the Seiko, Citizen and Fossil models that cluttered the case.

No box, no paperwork, but the watch appears to be original when compared to other examples found here and elsewhere online. Though it has the original equipment Omega crystal, that is pretty well trashed. A quick polish helped but some of the scratches seem almost to be cuts. It's still running on the wind provided at 10:25 yesterday morning when the watch was set and it's only gained 12 seconds since, best I can tell. The little micro-serial number is in the 46000000 range so it is assumed that the watch was produced in 1985. I would be grateful for the Speedmaster experts to assess it for originality, grade it, and provide any suggestions for its future health and well-being. It'll be heading to the watch shop next week for thorough maintenance.

Other than a superficial effort at polishing the crystal, it's not been cleaned up yet. I'm not going to use the old dial caliper trick I've sometimes used to try to unscrew the back of this one. I have no other way of opening it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

UncleBuck, alam and DocHolliday like this.
  2. Mothra Jan 17, 2015

Looks good. It can do way better than 12s a day so definitely get it serviced and pop a new crystal on it....

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 17, 2015

If you do not have the proper tools, please do not try to open the case. The case back is in good shape, so wait and let someone who knows what they are doing open it for you.

Overall looks good. Glad to hear you are taking it in for service.

Cheers, Al

4. alam Jan 17, 2015

Good catch! :thumbsup: BTW, that's when all problems begin, with a "tentative inquire about <add watch model here>" The enablers around here will give you that little push your subconscious is looking for…. welcome to the club!

SpeedyProClub-1.jpg
  5. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jan 17, 2015

Yes, it's easy to see that there is a lot of enablement about on the Forum.

I was enthused about the Speedmaster and how it was gathered in, a fun experience. Got on here and found that another Forum member, 250scr, had just posted about his new Speedmaster http://omegaforums.net/threads/my-first-speedy.20588/ and I was enthused for him too.

Then I noticed while studying the photos of his watch, that the watches were registering the same time. Now his may not have been set and running and he may not live in the Central time zone, but what are the chances of two turning up displaying the same time? I took the photos yesterday afternoon while home for lunch.

6. 250scr Jan 17, 2015

That's a pretty cool story on how you acquired it. What are the odds these days of getting one from a pawn shop. A new crystal will be make the watch look great. Thanks for the post

7. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Feb 27, 2015

[​IMG]

We'll resurrect this same thread to show the Speedmaster all better after a trip to the watch shop for freshening up . A FLUCO Horween "whiskey" strap was ordered while it was away for installation when the watch returned home.

Some white stuff had provided a dusting to the steps and so was utilized for a bit of uncommon (for our part of Texas) background texture.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TLIGuy likes this.
  8. Slevin kelevra Feb 27, 2015

Strap looks good!

9. JG808 Feb 27, 2015

I've thought about buying that exact strap. How's the quality? It looks great on your watch.

10. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Feb 27, 2015

It's a thin strap so be aware. Might go 2.5 mm or so. Might. It's not lined. So, be aware. I particularly wanted "thin" as "less is more" for me when considering straps and bracelets and I don't much care for a bracelet or strap that competes with the watch. The hue of the "Whiskey" model is very appealing and coordinates with the black Speedmaster dial, seen in the photographs as somewhat obscured by glare on the crystal. The strap is well-sewn so should hold up well, even to the weight of the watch. The watch stays put as the third hole draws the watch right up where it rides against the top of the fore arm as it should without being excessively tight or exhibiting so much looseness that it's slopping around all over the place.

It arrived mid-morning to my office and I've worn it all day since. It's very comfortable, like a familiar pair of jeans.

11. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Feb 27, 2015

Congrats!

12. JG808 Feb 27, 2015

Thanks for the review! I like my leather straps thin as well so that would be a plus for me. Congrats on the new watch!