Forums Latest Members
  1. M.D. Jan 30, 2016

I'll start by saying I know there have been several threads on dive watches, beater watches, etc. Forgive me for starting another one.

I've been looking awhile now for a modern dive watch, with no date, mechanical, for less than $1,000. I have a Seiko scuba prospex that I wear often. Looking for a second option that I won't worry about getting wet or knocking around a bit. There are a ton of options with a date feature, but hard to find without a date.

Looking forward to hearing your suggestions.

2. abrod520 Jan 30, 2016

It's not modern, but a (not so) old TAG 980-series diver would probably fit the bill

3. Drawarms Jan 30, 2016

new seiko turtle!

2016011895163518.jpg 2016011895163540.jpg

Kreindog24 and JohnSteed like this.
  4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 30, 2016

Why not do an skx mod? With all of the different face options out there, they are many options that do not have the date window. Or a SNZH 50 fathoms tribute minus the date. Basically for 500 you can create whatever you want and have a totally custom watch.

I like the idea of those new turtles, but the face is no where near as nice as the vintage ones.

JohnSteed likes this.
  5. RCAFBuster Jan 30, 2016

A RCN Clearance Diver friend reckons the Citizen Acqualand does everything he wanted a dive watch to do, and they are reasonably priced.

Buster

6. keepschanging Jan 31, 2016

Potentially controversial, but at that price point and for the purpose of a beater, I would stick to quartz. It will be very accurate, essentially won't need a service, will be more resistant to a beating and all round more convenient. I would then save up for an automatic in the usd 4k - 10k range, where you can get a more meaningful automatic - ideally vintage! So in fact I would suggest a simple Seiko solar diver...put it on and it should keep ticking away pretty close to atmic time for decades without any need for attention :)

Here are two of my beaters - a seiko solar and an omega 300m gmt ;)

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  7. M.D. Jan 31, 2016

Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions.

What I'm looking for is:
    - Analog
    - No date
    - Mechanical
    - Less than $1,000

I have some nicer watches already in my collection, I just don't wear them in the water. That's just my personal preference. I've looked for awhile and haven't found much that fits the bill, which is why I'm asking here.

8. LawBrk Jan 31, 2016

Not forgetting the no homage watch rules, have you considered Ste__hart? Quality ETA movements with styling that is familiar. ;)

I cannot personally vouch for them but maybe worth a look.

9. duc Jan 31, 2016

I had one of these briefly. It is a durable watch that meets your specs. The only thing I didn't like about it was the fact that it didn't have an AR coating. The domed crystal tends to be too reflective in my opinion without AR. I gave it to a buddy of mine.

http://www.countycomm.com/sr3mid.html

[​IMG]

Kreindog24 likes this.
  10. M.D. Jan 31, 2016

LawBrk, I didn't want to mention those, but I have seen them. Could be a good option.
    duc, that has potential. Thanks for the suggestion.

Kreindog24 and LawBrk like this.
  11. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Jan 31, 2016

I will sidestep the usual recommendations and move right over to the odd cousin ;-)

.... nicknamed : sexy fothermucker

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Full retail: $4k+

... but its the type of watch that you can get with 60,70 or more % off :cautious: ::screwloose::

- no date, titanium, the always highly regarded 2892-A2 - really nicely done watch

... and the guy who does your taxes isn't wearing one :D:D:D

paid 300something for a pretty new one with a crown problem ... deal panned out rather nicely ::psy::

Edited Jan 31, 2016
  12. CdnWatchDoc Jan 31, 2016

Try TWCO (http://www.twcowatches.com/index.html).
    Great quality, Myiota 9015 movements, very nice design. I have had one for 3 yrs, in the water, the muck and the snow, without any problems at all. For around 800 Euro, which would be just under $1000 USD.

13. trama Feb 2, 2016

MkII has plenty of no-date divers. Lots of homages they seem well made. I have a Benrus Type 1 homage (MKII Blackwater) and it has held up well.

14. duc Feb 2, 2016

These are hard to come by, at least from what I have been able to discern.

15. timjohn Feb 2, 2016

1. The "no date" criterion rules out Seiko (http://www.watchsleuth.com/seikodiverfinder/) unless you're feeling adventurous and willing to mod it with a new no date dial from Yobokies or someone similar. I have the Maratac and can't love it, partly because of the crystal as @duc says, and partly because the crown feels tinny. You could try the Helson skin-diver range or an H2O Helberg -- haven't seen either in the flesh, but they're good-looking watches.

16. M.D. Feb 3, 2016