Forums Latest Members
  1. Psyche524 Mar 31, 2018

Now this looks like early 40’s. almost identical to those issued in WW2 minus the crows foot. Interested in your thoughts on originality and if it’s worth buying/Value. He’s asking around $600 but we tend to start high and he’ll probaby settle at 2/3 of the initial price

2C8AE71E-8464-4008-9385-FDA598B50D26.jpeg B9F8BC44-CE8E-411A-AEDE-8442A930577E.jpeg 2375210E-5429-476F-B049-730B61400957.jpeg
  2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Mar 31, 2018

Why are you starting a new thread with every post?

3. Psyche524 Mar 31, 2018

Sorry, thought that was preferred. Argh I’m not doing very well am I :(

4. hanky6 Mar 31, 2018

Maybe you are asking for a bit too much too soon.

5. Psyche524 Mar 31, 2018

Honestly gents, what
    i thought this was a forum to talk about Omega watches. All as I’ve done is posted some Omega watches to discuss. I’m really not wanting to be rude but come on, give a guy a break

6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 31, 2018

No your asking us to evaluate for free a bunch of watches of various styles. It’s like you want to find out if any of them are worth a lot so you can flip them. Why should we do all of the work for you.

What are you looking for you to own?

Hnansen, Davidt, rb10chris and 2 others like this.
  7. Psyche524 Mar 31, 2018

I really didn’t think that members of a watch forum would find looking at watches a chore. I came across what I thought a substantial amount of relatively sought after watches, which I can more than likely get at below market (UK) prices. The problem is, is that I don’t know what’s worth what, and the local selling me them is hardly going to point out the best ones. So what did I do? I went to a Omega enthusiast forum to ask people for advice. As I’ve said a few times, I do apologise if members have thought that I was taking liberties. Again, naive on my part and I apologise

sonwi likes this.
  8. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Mar 31, 2018

Trust me, the members have been kind.

Your expectations and ours may be different, but no one has been rude.

No, you went to an Omega Collector's forum and didn't follow polite requests to provide us what we need.

I have a clear conscience in that I treated you respectfully and if you are going to start complaining instead of participating, well, I'm done.

Toodaloo.

upload_2018-3-31_19-13-35.jpeg

mayankyadav likes this.
  9. Psyche524 Mar 31, 2018

Hmm, why pick out 5 and 6 word partial sentences from two paragraphs? I was apologising for Christ sake!

10. GuiltyBoomerang Mar 31, 2018

It's not so much as a "chore," we do this out of passion and experience and building that initial knowledge goes a long way into realizing just how much you need to do yourself in order to give and give back.

Myself for instance, I started with one tiny watch, made sure I had done some research, asked for constructive feedback and gained more and more knowledge over time.

Now for some unbiased feedback, and perhaps I am too friendly and forgiving:

* The dial looks to be a redial due to how thick the text is

While not the same watch, this is a genuine Omega dial with a 30T2SC in it:

IMG-20180328-WA0004.jpeg

* Case appears to have been polished, and a blank caseback with scratched reference/servicing mark only make it harder to recognise/be assured its kosher

* For the time period, crown appears era correct

* Movement is from 1939, and marked 30T2, non shock protected balance is correct for age - that regulator is all the way into 'R'etarde (slow) which brings me to the next point:

* The movement is on the dirty side, and who knows how much you will need to get it fully serviced.

On the last point, this is a big part of vintage watches. It is no point wearing a fresh pick up constantly as all you will do is wear down parts. Factor in the service price of a watch into your initial cost.

This is the sort of information that you can find out yourself with a bit of Googling and research. Yes you have been chewed out, however the time spent posting lots of replies could have been used to do ten minutes of looking at Ranffts movement page, Chuck Maddox's serial number list, comparable watches of the era, and of course, this site's treasure troves of information and stickies.

This reply took me about fifteen minutes. Now if you'll excuse me, I will stop procrastinating and work on three university assognments due in the next three days...

Edited Mar 31, 2018
    Edward53 and Psyche524 like this.
  11. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 31, 2018

We look at watches and share info with each other. It’s give and take. You show up brand new expecting people to evaluate for free 20 plus watches when you have done little to no research your self. Your just taking and not giving anything back. Why should we take time sharing hard won knowledge with someone just looking to get a deal and flip the watch? Most likely never to be seen on the forum again?

You also got some strong hints that 2 of them might have value with the words that are easily googled and you appeared to miss the hints.

Hnansen and sonwi like this.
  12. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 31, 2018

So you mention in one of your threads

A stopwatch bought in

Are you a antique dealer or pawnbroker by any chance ?

13. Psyche524 Mar 31, 2018

‘Brought in’ I’m a squaddie in Afghanistan and they’ve got loads of watches in the local shops (which are out of bounds). These watches are predominantly 60’s - 70’s when the locals were quite affluent (until the Russians arrived). There are locals on camp that bring items in from external vendors. He takes photos and I choose a selection for him to bring in for a closer look. I’m definitely not a dealer, however I did offer forum members to have a look through and I could buy them on their behalf.

14. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 31, 2018

Now that explains a lot.

:thumbsup:

Most of the watches shown in your photographs are rubbish but there are some decent brands in the mix, their condition is another matter.

Most of us are cautious of watches from that part of the world and what may look like a decent buy in photos etc could end up being a dog and the blame hounds would look to you.

It would be risky (on your part) to buy a watch for somebody else without having extensive knowledge of the brand/model and the ability to conduct a qualitative inspection of the item itself.

There's also the added complication of dealing with a third party and the level of trust you have in your facilitator.

I hope you don't have to spend too much more time over there, and what ever time you do have, learn a bit about what you would like to own and see if you can grab a bargain.

Keep your head down, stay safe.

Cheers

Jim

felsby and Psyche524 like this.
  15. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Mar 31, 2018

A lot of us here are Veterans (me, 11B, 2nd Inf.-Korea, '71-'72). We want to be able to help.

Unfortunately, your photos were just as fuzzy as our understanding of your situation.

It will work better if we see 20 different head-on dial shots than it will to see one shot of 20 watches.

Ask your Buds to try to keep the glare from overhead lights off the crystals and to get as close as they can and still be in focus.

They still issue P-38's?

16. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 31, 2018

upload_2018-4-1_12-46-52.png

What?

@Psyche524 is a squaddie Jimbo, not a flyboy :D.

17. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Mar 31, 2018

You high-tech engineering types fly in a different world than us grunts, Jim. Psyche may know what I meant, if my age isn't showing too much!

hqdefault.jpg

18. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 31, 2018

He's British Jim, they have butlers to open their rat packs.

:whistling:

19. Psyche524 Mar 31, 2018

Haha

20. Edward53 Apr 1, 2018

You'd have had an easier time if you'd said that straight off. Stay safe.
    That's funny, I heard it was the Dominion troops who refuse to open theirs as it's demeaning manual labour....:unsure:

Foo2rama likes this.