Forums Latest Members
  1. Dablitzer Sep 5, 2013

Just picked this up of the bay recently, I have no idea what it will turn out like, But I'm really diggin' these dial & case styles! :)

$(KGrHqJHJE0FIKNC4Tu,BSJwUB87Kw~~60_12.jpg

Going off this rather shady picture, so hopefully will check out. Should arrive tomorrow so i'll post up some more pics then hopefully..

Borrowed this from AJTT:

[​IMG]

citizenrich and UncleBuck like this.
  2. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Sep 5, 2013

Alex, very cool !
    I hope you become proficient at removing gunk off these old beauties so I can pick your brain. Are you going to try to wear any of these?
    Picking a strap for these small scale watches will be crucial I think. I'm feeling something thin or tapered , reminiscent of the old belts and neckties.

3. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 5, 2013

I think yours is the original version of the dial shown in the AJTT picture. That one is a redial.

Dial looks very nice, as I think the issues are with the crystal. IMO, and decent 16mm band will look fine.

Due to the steel case and dial markings, I'd stick with something in black leather. Watch is thick enough to handle a moderately padded band.

Nice pick-up,
    gatorcpa

Dablitzer likes this.
  4. Dablitzer Sep 5, 2013

Thanks!

Yes, after seeing how nice yours was I thought I'd take the plunge! ;) I think you're right about the strap. Mine still comes with its original one but it's all mouldy.

Will be looking forward to giving her a clean up and finding a strap, to wear on occasion! I also have this one (currently with my watch man...)

image.jpg

5. Dablitzer Sep 5, 2013

Thanks Evan,

What was worrying me about this one was the "Swiss Made" on the dial. I noticed yours didn't have this? Any idea if that's correct or just a different dial print?

Was thinking a pig skin strap with square stitching, most likely in black ;)

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 5, 2013

I don't know about the Swiss Made. Most of the ones I've seen do not have it. I can't see it in your example, either. But the angle is kind of off, so I really can't tell.

Pigskin would be nice. IW has some decent ones.

http://www.internationalwatchman.com/pigbands/GENPIGSKIN1940S.html

Take care,
    gatorcpa

7. Dablitzer Sep 5, 2013

Those are nice straps! Thanks!

It has "Swiss Made" in the chapter ring. Like in this example.

image.jpg

8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 5, 2013

That one looks 100% right to me. In those days the printing was dependent on the law in the market where the watch was sold.

There may be some styles that exist with and without Swiss Made.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

9. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Sep 5, 2013

Different tastes, that's why there is so many flavors of ice cream ! You go with pig, I'm probably going lizard, I bet they both look great !
    [​IMG]
    Keyword Search: 16mm
    Home »
    Genuine Lizard Watchband Black 16mm Watch band - by deBeer

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think the small pattern coordinates with the watches scale.

Alex, you've done well, I sense a movement afoot, a paradigm shift away from the connies and speedies! Well......maybe not but it's still a cool watch.

Dablitzer likes this.
  10. Dablitzer Sep 6, 2013

Thanks U. Buck :)

I like the lizard idea too.. :) definitely straying in the Art Deco direction for a while..

Here's some quick pictures as it arrived this morning..

I think it might be the original strap, it's so rotten!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just applied a touch of poly watch and the dial can up a real treat! It's amazing how this dial catches the light, it has two golden chapter rings, and beautiful blue breguet hands. Case looks sharp and relatively unpolished. I am amazed this watch is from around 1935!

Movement looks good, it even has a blue hairspring! Looks similar to the one in AJTT.

Very happy with this one, think it's time to treat to a new strap and a clean..

John R Smith and UncleBuck like this.
  11. Dablitzer Sep 6, 2013

Do these watches have fixed spring bars?

12. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 6, 2013

Alex, these appear to be fixed wire lugs (not spring bars)...I may have an open-end pigskin strap in that size (16mm?). Send me a PM.

By all means, please remove that old strap immediately! :taunt:

Hijak likes this.
  13. John R Smith Sep 6, 2013

The movement looks really good too :thumbsup:

14. Dablitzer Sep 6, 2013

The strap on it doesn't look like a open ended as its actually stitched underneath. That confused me! ;)

15. Mothra Sep 6, 2013

wow. That cleaned up nicely. Feel free to point out any non art deco constellations that pop up while you are focused elsewhere....:)

habrisbane and Dablitzer like this.
  16. Dablitzer Sep 6, 2013

Thanks Matey,

I have some insider information for you, when we go to Uxbridge. Just had some tip off about a guy bringing 9 constellations. Start saving! ;)

17. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Sep 6, 2013

This model is very beautiful and one of the first art deco I bought when I started collecting. The dial is in worse condition than on yours, but it says hello nevertheless :
    [​IMG]

Dablitzer likes this.
  18. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Sep 6, 2013

That's probably Warren trying to raise some lunch money!

Dablitzer likes this.
  19. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Sep 6, 2013

Nice pair also

The first one is the Foibos (ref CK 785) launched in 1932, which I also have with the art deco dial as in AJTT :
    [​IMG].

The 1933 Catalog showing the Foibos :
    [​IMG]

The second one is the ref CK 615 from 1937. It existed with the same art deco dial as the Foibos I showed, or with 'standard one :

[​IMG]

Vintage, Raymondo5508 and cicindela like this.
  20. Mothra Sep 7, 2013

oh god! I'm moving some money, but i don't think its going to arrive in time!!!