Forums Latest Members
  1. DIV Jan 3, 2018

Hello friends. I just acquired this "beater" 1969 Admiralty and I really love it, but since they're not as popular and produce fewer detailed WIS discussions (yet, and YES, I've looked) I figured what better place to ask some questions than the OF!....
    20180102_174548.jpg
    I know this model came in Black dials and white dials, with dates, no dates, automatic movements and manual wound movements. I wanted a no-date manual wind and I landed this less common GRAY dial version. I find the dial to be attractive, but unfortunately as the gray dial has faded a bit and the white hand tips have darkened over time...the contrast is minimal and it's certainly not the most legible watch to quickly read the time, especially in the dark. At first I thought that maybe the hands were replaced by the wrong color variety (the reverse color found on the white dialed versions), but I have seen other gray-dialed Admiralties and they both had these white-tipped hands.
    1) Am I correct in assuming this?
    I believe that everything except the winding crown are original including the signed crystal, hands, dial (with some missing minute ticks) and the Omega-signed Fixo-Flex expansion bracelet. The bracelet is too loose and I would like to remove it and wear it with a leather strap. So far as I can measure, the lugs are 18mm, but they might be 17.
    I'm having trouble removing the Fixo-Flex because the spring bars are badly rusted and I'm afraid I'll have to cut them off (I'm a dentist and have the right tools to do this without damaging anything besides the spring bars).
    2) Before I proceed, are there any other tips in removing the Fixo-Flex?
    Anything else?

tnt9, fskywalker, Dug and 13 others like this.
  2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 3, 2018

Lugs are 17-mm.

IMG_1595.jpg

Dug, Jones in LA, 0uss and 10 others like this.
  3. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Jan 3, 2018

As @X350 XJR confirmed they are 17mm.

The fixoflex end pieces consist of two parts. You coulld remove the inner plate by folding the tabs back ( I have no idea how brittle they are and I personally have not done this) to expose the spring bar. I know this because mine is missing one.

End pieces_010318 9192.jpg
    The links are also removable. There are these staple-like like holders at the edge of the links if you need to shorten your band.

Geneve 165.038_090717 7384.jpg

4. DIV Jan 3, 2018

hey! Great information, guys! 17mm....darn! I was afraid of that. I won't try to cram on my 18mm leather strap. Thanks.
    Interesting about removing the inner plate of the endpiece of the Fixo-Flex....Thank you, ahsposo!

5. DIV Jan 3, 2018

: yeah, that's one of the gray-dialed ones I was talking about!
    My dial probably USED to look like that and overtime faded...or maybe someone used harsh chemicals to try to clean the dial...

6. DIV Jan 3, 2018

man, 17mm straps are like IMPOSSIBLE to find anywhere! It's gotta be a very unusual size. Darn. I was hoping to find a nice 2 piece Nato.
    Does anyone have suggested retailers?

7. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jan 3, 2018

There’s someone down under might want your fixoflex
    @JimInOz

8. ChrisN Jan 3, 2018

I think they look best with the Fixoflex as, if not, the lug holes are a long way from the case (looks to me like you have the long lugs model like mine here) and the strap looks odd. Your choice but, once you've taken out a few links the Fixoflex is very comfortable to wear.

Your crown looks too deep, and a slightly smaller diameter than mine. I replaced mine with a new Omega crown and it looks right to me but may be different from a period item.

They're nice watches:thumbsup:

Cheers, Chris

Davidt and ahsposo like this.
  9. DIV Jan 3, 2018

hmm....tough call. I was thinking of keeping it...ChrisN is right about the long lugs and how they might look weird on a strap.
    Another thing is that my Fixo-Flex is missing the center "clasp" square with the Omega logo, probably a no-go for any collector.

10. ChrisN Jan 3, 2018

There's a picture of mine on a strap here.

That reminds me I still have one 563 end link (Jim knows) and a complete Fixoflex with 558s for sale somewhere on here. Must find that ad and bump it but there's little interest in these unusual bracelets.

Cheers, Chris

11. DIV Jan 3, 2018

I just hope I can remove the Fixo-Flex safely....I'm sorry, to each his/her own, but I've just never been a fan of expansion bracelets. The watch screams "vintage", but to me the expansion band yells "cheap"....sorry....just me.

12. DIV Jan 3, 2018

and X350 XJR: I know you sold that watch, but did you ever suspect that the wrong hands were on your watch? That was truly a gray dial, right? Not a "dirty white dial"???

13. jimmyd13 Jan 3, 2018

Nice watch. It's something that's never really appeared on my radar but regarding the strap issue, get one made for it with curved ends. There are plenty of makers out there who will produce you something to order i you supply watch and wrist dimensions. (Not wanting to plug but I use steveostraps - just be aware that he makes "chunky" straps. Double check his site if you're interested but watch for the thickness. I think the thinnest is 3mm).

14. WhatYourWatchSay Jan 3, 2018

I never knew these had a name to them. Very nice looking example DIV, congratulations.

DIV likes this.
  15. DIV Jan 3, 2018

Yes, I know the crown is wrong as I mentioned in my initial post. I would like to source the correct crown. Hats on to fellow poster @raider44 who recently went through the same dance with a very similar piece, just with white dial.
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/help-with-admiralty-part-numbers.64573/

16. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Jan 3, 2018

I felt the same way at first. Then I re-sized the bracelet so it fit and feel a lot better about it, but still it would be nice to find a more "substantial" bracelet. I put on a nice double braid 18mm perlon and thought it looked pretty good.
    Geneve 165 038_093017 7595.jpg
    I also have a bonklip style bracelet that I tried. It was OK but those lugs are really long.

I have considered a custom leather, maybe shark or stingray, with a curved bar end and with the bar channels set back but haven't really pursued it.

The perlon, BTW, is from Amazon seller Clockwork Synergy https://www.amazon.com/Double-Braid...5015755&sr=1-2&keywords=double+braided+perlon

Dr No, Seaborg, George.A and 5 others like this.
  17. DIV Jan 3, 2018

Thank you everyone for helping to evolve this discussion thread! Future Admiralty owners will stumble upon this page years from now (2018) and appreciate this as they learn about this under-appreciated gem of the Omega world.

And thanks for the compliments!...more photos are warranted! 20180102_173052.jpg 20180102_173303.jpg 20180102_175532.jpg

18. ChrisN Jan 3, 2018

Sorry, I misunderstood your comment - when you said the crown was not original, I wasn't sure you were also aware it was the wrong type.

Do you know the case reference? I can tell you the crown part number but would need the case reference to be sure. It appears to be the same as mine but, get it to a watchmaker to confirm the reference so you don't waste your money. To be honest, he should be happy enough to supply that in addition to a service. Might need a stem as well because they are trimmed to length for that particular case and crown.

Chris

DIV likes this.
  19. kwiklot Jan 3, 2018

I think that's a superb photo of your watch.

ahsposo likes this.
  20. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Jan 3, 2018

Mine is 165.038. I am under the impression that the crown is made from unobtanium. That's why there are so many examples of this reference with the wrong crown. But, hey! I could be wrong.

Probo likes this.