Forums Latest Members
  1. TexOmega Oct 23, 2015

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg I will be making an offer on this. It will be a private, in person, transaction with someone I know and done business with a lot in the past.

It is in great condition mechanically, but the darkened numerals gives me pause.

should there be more gold showing on the numerals? Or does the lume on these obscure them over time and this is normal?

$1200 is the asking, and we both know and use the watchmaker that did the COA recently.

Market price? Or not

Edited Nov 4, 2015
  2. pcdubc Oct 24, 2015

Normal or not, I think the dial is very charming as is. It looks genuine. And I have never seen anyone remove numerals on purpose. Perhaps you should make an offer, pricing in the faded numerals?

Best of luck. Beautiful watch

3. TexOmega Oct 24, 2015

Thanks for the comment, I thought the case was also outstanding for a 60-70 year old watch.

4. TexOmega Nov 2, 2015

5. Skrotis Nov 2, 2015

This watch normaly have dial problems but 1200 is a buy in my world, belive its getting harder to find waterproof chronos from the 40s and i like the movement.

6. Buddha Jones Nov 2, 2015

BUY! If the movement works $1,200 is a good price. The Cal.215 is a great one and the company is making a rebirth so that's always a good thing IMO.

7. nicolas07 Nov 2, 2015

At such price, buy it ;)
    Black and gilt dials are always very sought after

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 3, 2015

He is referring to any number of springs that are part of the chronograph mechanism. These help actuate the functions of the watch and are anchored to the plates by pins. The pins can be in the spring, which means the plate has holes to accept them. But if the pins are in the plate, then the spring has to have holes to accept those. It seems on this movement they made versions both ways, so finding parts is now more complicated since you have to find the right type.

Here is a Cal. 861 and the red arrow points to the spring for the coupling clutch - it is screwed down with one screw that you can see, but there are also 2 pins on the underside of the spring:

[​IMG]

With the spring removed, you can see the tapped hole for the screw, and the two smaller holes for the pins:

[​IMG]

Now imagine you need one of these and you order it in, but find that instead of the pins being in the spring they are on the bridge, so now you need a different version with holes in the spring instead of pins...

Cheers, Al

TexOmega likes this.
  9. TexOmega Nov 3, 2015

Super explanation, Al. And I love visual aids!:thumbsup:

Now, which design came first in the production life of the cal 215?

Edited Nov 3, 2015