Forums Latest Members
  1. chipsotoole May 26, 2017

Hi Omegoids,

So I just got my very first speedy. A 69 mark II currently residing at the watchmakers for a service (not bad for a newbie..listening to advice from here!!). Whilst I've been waiting , I've been casually looking at various websites, forums, and the bay at all things Vintage Mark II. It's quite clear that whilst it is not as revered as the Moonwatch in all it's forms (with good reason) , it is still a remarkable and quality timepiece with great design, and well respected to boot!
    But where is the Speedmaster102 website? The comparative price lists where we judge how the market and the buyers are judging it? The dedicated Mark II comparative lists of serial numbers along with members who've got the Official Transcripts aiding others in guessing an approximate production date?
    It really seems that the Mark II is a bit of poor cousin despite the significant numbers produced and seems often referred to here by many happy owners as their "beater" ..Though to be fair perhaps it's not quite as poor a cousin as the Mark III or IV.... In information terms, they're still playing a banjo and fiddle in the woods in northern Maine. Great music, but not to everyones' taste! :)
    There are indeed loads of lovely pics and the odd nice stories of Mark II's around here and I thank the members for taking the time to post them up. I may have recently got the an exceptional deal myself, but it appears I'm suddenly seeing prices for non-pristine or super renovated ones nudging over 2000 Euro mark. (there are still a lot of "buy it nows" at the quite optimistic 2500+ mark....but then again what do I know?
    With all things Moonie soon to be firmly in the crosshairs as the 50th anniversary approaches, should we brace ourselves for a new level of interest and another lurch in prices moon watch or otherwise?
    I don't have the time or the expertise to start an ambitious project like this up, but it might be nice if someone here with the know how and enthusiasm could pull some of all the wayward Man II threads and references together and make the info available so that the "cousin from out of town" might be a little better understood and appreciated.

speedy.jpg
  2. vienna May 26, 2017

nice dial :)

3. vienna May 26, 2017

Sister... ;-)

20170526_004036.jpg
    Taddyangle and Zack like this.
  4. Zack May 26, 2017

Agree about the 102 website, let's see it now!
    Seriously I'm confident that the cousin will rise in the future due to the limited years of production ( and the coolness of it:))

5. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. May 26, 2017

Congrats! The Mark II and the other Marks are a bit neglected aren't they? This bit made me laugh:
    I'm doing my best banjo and fiddle routine for the III and IV here: http://www.calibre1040.com/ :D

Paedipod, vienna and Zack like this.
  6. Jkuback May 26, 2017

Congrats, enjoy it, was also my first Speedy, and with the 861 I really like it and it gets a lot of wrist time :) IMG_20170526_222808.jpg

vienna likes this.
  7. chipsotoole May 28, 2017

I had a nosey around there...that's a lot of work you've put it. Well done! You might just become the Carter Family equivalent for Mark III's and IV's.

Incidentally I just picked up a beat up vintage early 80's Eberhard and Co Frecce Tricolore Italian Airforce display team Master Chronograph loaded with a Lemania 5100 for under 300 bucks....AND there's an empty MkIII case on ebay Spain.....It would be just plain wrong wouldn't it... ;) LOL!

Andy K likes this.
  8. jaguar11 May 28, 2017

Nice watch. Enjoy and wear in the best of health!!! Something to be said about being a 'poor cousin' is that prices are nice and low in comparison to other more desirable models. The watch will be the same no mater what the value is so long may such values remain low.

9. chipsotoole May 28, 2017

Yeah long may they stay low!!!. I get the nagging feeling however that I'll always be jonesing after a late 60's early 70's 145.022. That said, there is a wonderful world of vintage watches out there for the collector and enthusiast. To me it's about quality, the movement and about time on the wrist.... If it's too precious to wear, or gathering micro dust particles in a basement safe, then I'm out.

Jkuback likes this.
  10. Nathan1967 May 28, 2017

Say hello to Flatt and Scruggs to bogart your analogy!

IMG_4514.JPG IMG_4833.JPG

They're more Ralf and Florian to my mind though!

11. Nathan1967 May 28, 2017

I'm doing my best banjo and fiddle routine for the III and IV here: http://www.calibre1040.com/ :D[/QUOTE]
    Great site Andy K- interesting stuff, it's just been favourited...if that's even a word!

Andy K likes this.
  12. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. May 28, 2017

Wrong maybe but I'd like to see it! As long as you don't try to sell it as a "rare prototype" for $8,999!

13. chipsotoole May 28, 2017

A deliverance3.jpg Any all y'awl got a Tootonic to complete the band? :)

14. chipsotoole May 28, 2017

the original has somehow got a too " purty mouth" to jes go mussin' up......

eberhard.jpg

Andy K likes this.