Forums Latest Members

And now for something completely different ZENITH 2572 Automatic 17 Jewels Swiss Date Movement Dial

1. blackwatch wants tickets to the HyperBole. Jan 10, 2014

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZENITH-2572...827?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a352dbad3Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

This is not really a specific question about any specific auction... I'd just like to know if there's any value in something like/similar-to this movement/dial (only). The claim is that's it's running and there's nothing wrong with it, but it's sold for parts only, just the same. Mmmmm-kay. What are the chances of finding a case? I assume zero percent or it would have already been done. But... somehow the idea of a superlative quality movement is enticing, even if I just set it next to my bed and look at it every once in a while. IS this intended for the frankenmarket? Intended for a rube (me)? What's the deal?

2. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 10, 2014

Well, one of the very early purchases in my vintage collecting days was an 18K gold cal 146 with what I saw later to be a redial. It's been sitting unloved at the back of the watchbox for many years and I keep telling myself I've got to sell it. A few months ago, a proper dial and handset with a movement in pretty shoddy condition showed up. Now it's off at the watchmaker's to be given new life.

[​IMG]

Just about a year ago, I bought a square Zenith that I'd been wanting for a long time, not realizing that it was missing a base metal spacer to stabilize the movement within the case. Stewart pointed out signs of contact of the oscillating weight with the case, tipping me off to the fact that a part was missing. A few months ago, I found a movement with spacer like the one below - now the watch is complete.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't think the seller of such parts "intends" anything other than to sell what he is selling. If you want to buy movements to look at nekkid, you can do that. If you want to assemble frankens, you can do that. If you want to restore watches to their former glory you can do that too...

blackwatch and shaun hk like this.