Forums Latest Members
  1. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Dec 6, 2014

I'm interested in this one, too; also offered at $1500, seems a bit high?

longinessteel-54-01(1).jpg longinessteel-54-02(1).jpg longinessteel-54-03(1).jpg longinessteel-54-04(1).jpg longinessteel-54-05(1).jpg longinessteel-54-06(1).jpg longinessteel-54-07(1).jpg longinessteel-54-08(1).jpg

2. ulackfocus Dec 6, 2014

Man, you can pick 'em. :confused:

3. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Dec 6, 2014

Hey, thanks!

So, bogus, too,huh? Maybe I should stick to the super-cool ones, the Conquests and Flagships...::love::

4. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Dec 6, 2014

I guess I didn't look too closely, now those hands are looking AWFUL! ::puke::

5. Skv Dec 7, 2014

Just look at that case, you can immediately see that it has been polished once or twice too often.

6. Skv Dec 7, 2014

The arrow line at 9 seems to continue on top of the marker and is not present between the edge of the 9 and the end of the marker. At 6, the crosshair seems to continue between marker and Arabic number. Then, at 3, the crosshair stops right at the marker. Furthermore the color of the dial is strange and the hands are stripped. Also, the crown seems to be replaced for a generic one. I almost can't imagine why you would even inquire if it is any good. ;-)

Edited Dec 7, 2014
  7. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Dec 7, 2014

I have to admit I got sucked in by the seller's classy-looking webpage/blog with lots of beautiful pictures and information on previous watches he says have been in his collection:

http://www.vintage-watches-collection.com/watches/longines/

When I inquired about the Conquest, he sent me pics/descriptions of the 7 currently available, none of which, as it turns out, are truly collectible; but my eye (and brain!) still has much to learn!

8. ulackfocus Dec 7, 2014

The n00b tax is cheaper to pay in public (via possible criticism by posting on the forum before buying) than in private (buying a redial or otherwise substandard watch without asking first). You might be a little embarrassed by the first few examples you ask to have vetted, but at least you won't be out the cash.

DaveK, Fritz, Hijak and 3 others like this.
  9. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Dec 7, 2014

Yes, I still have my money, thanks to gentlemen like you, Dennis!

I really got lucky with my first vintage purchase about 6 weeks ago, when I bought a '54 Constellation I really knew nothing about, and never even asked... purely beginner's luck, but I'm not about to count on that anymore:D!

10. Hijak Dec 7, 2014

Every so often I get a little confident in my knowledge of vintage watches, then I come across something and I realize how much I don't know!!!:cautious: It always pays to get a second opinion.

11. Skv Dec 7, 2014

Indeed it does, this forum has helped me several times!

12. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 7, 2014

You seem to be looking at the offerings of one vendor. Might I suggest that you move on from this seller?

His clientele seem to be mostly from the school of "Oooh...shiny!" Old watches are actually supposed to look old and the wear should be consistent throughout the piece.

Most watches from the 1940's through the 1970's had matte or brushed finished on the cases, particularly in steel. The main reason for this is that the matte finishes tended to hide scratches from normal wear. Something that shiny is going to show every scratch, bit of dirt or fingerprint.

Another tell is the position of the "Swiss Made" on the dials. This is almost always found underneath the "6", or the marker at that position. When it's up high and split like that, it is the sign of a lazy redialler. There are some original dials that do have the words split (Omega Pie-Pans and the US Army style dials [Google these for pictures]).

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

13. NT931 Dec 7, 2014

14. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Dec 7, 2014

I am most definitely done looking at offering from thIs seller. I'm actually much more of a fan of the matte, or true worn, vintage look, not polished. When I had my 'newly – purchased' '54 Constellation serviced a few weeks ago, I even made a special point to the watchmaker that he not touch the case at all, and leave it with its original scratches intact.

As for this buyer, originally, it looked like he had a mint condition Conquest in his stable. His dialogue consisted of a lot of Longines history that I knew was accurate, and from this I assumed, incorrectly, that his watches would be equally true and original. A stupid mistake. I still knew I must check things out with the true experts here at the Forum before throwing caution to the wind, and I am very glad I did!

Edited Dec 7, 2014
  15. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Dec 7, 2014