Forums Latest Members
  1. subnuc Sep 14, 2015

I humbly enter this forum with many years of appreciation of Omega and a desire to learn all that I may from your wealth of expertise and experience. I purchased my Speedmaster Professional from the ship's store on the USS Proteus (AS-19) on October 24, 1973 in Apra Harbor, Guam. I have cherished it ever since and would like to know more about it's place in the lineage of Speedmasters.

UncleBuck likes this.
  2. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Sep 14, 2015

We welcome all you bubblehead tenders and we really love great pictures of cool watches!
    Would love to see yours, I have a Seamaster I bought in a PX in Korea in '72 that says "hello".

IMGP4062-1.jpg

TNTwatch and Mad Dog like this.
  3. subnuc Sep 14, 2015

As it happens, Uncle Buck, I wasn't a tender puke. I was awaiting the arrival of my submarine, the USS Henry Clay (SSBN 625) back from it's previous patrol to the tender. I made six patrols out of Guam aboard the Clay between 1972 and 1975. The Speedmaster Professional was my continuous companion throughout many evolutions, including reactor SCRAMS, etc. I love this watch. I wear it every day.
    Do any of you have Speedmasters which you wear routinely dating from before this time period? I hope you are enjoying them! Mine is a workhorse.No muss, no fuss. Like the Energizer Bunny, it just keeps on ticking........
    I do have a question or two regarding the engraving on the back of my Speedmaster, however. I have never seen anything like it in any online sources. As I said, I bought it in 1973. The case back is beveled, obviously. Within, and concentrically engraved around the flat surface is the text "Flight Qualified By NASA For All Manned Space Missions".
    Inside that area is the engraved Omega symbol, surmounting the layered text "The First Watch Worn On The Moon" Any clues?.

4. subnuc Sep 15, 2015

That's a very cool Seamaster, UncleBuck. "PX" and Korea make me guess Army. Correct? If so, it makes me wonder at your choice of a Seamaster. It is exceptionally sharp looking; perhaps it's looks drew you in. Good choice! Do you have others?

5. subnuc Sep 15, 2015

As a more general statement to the forum at large, allow me to relate my relationship with wristwatches. I am not a watch collector, per se (although, if finances permitted, I probably would be). Instead, since my teens I have harbored a love for, and fascination with, beautiful, finely crafted timepieces. To me they are works of art which also have a useful function. A rare combination! I especially was mesmerized by the chronograph type. When, at some now forgotten moment, I first gazed upon the Omega Speedmaster Professional, I was galvanized. It became my paradigm. Even before I was aware of it's history and association with the space program, I was smitten. I had to someday own one.
    I kept my eye open, but the civilian price was just too much for my enlisted military income. They were going for around $300 back in Hawaii at the time. When I happened to spot this one in the display case in the ship's store on the tender I was stunned. When I saw that it was priced at $103 I couldn't get my wallet out fast enough. As the decades have passed, I have watched the Speedmaster's value climb with interest and amusement. Would I ever sell it? Not for any sane amount. It's too much a part of my life and history. Besides, it is promised to one of my sons. He is a submarine officer. My other son will inherit my 1980's ref.16750 Rolex GMT Master. (Another watch, by the way, which has some ties to the NASA space program back in the day.)
    As time has passed and I learn more about the history of the Speedmaster, I have become more curious about the various iterations of this iconic timepiece. I want to understand just where in this family history my watch stands. It is obviously not an early 321. I believe it to be a calibre 861. But the bezel has the dot next to the 90, rather than above, so it is a post - 1969 model. Logical, as I purchased it in 1973. However, it is the engraving on the case back which intrigues me. I've seen images of the early models, and, of course, all the later iterations incorporating the various versions of the sculpted Hippocampus and variations in text. I can't seem to find any images of the engraving which appears on my watch, however. I know it's not a fake. I just want to learn where it fits in the lineup.
    I'm an old fart (if you hadn't figured that out already) and not too computer savvy. As soon as I figure out how to get photos on this site I'll post some pics of my Speedmaster. Hopefully, somebody will have some info regarding it's history. Until then, thanks for bearing with my long-winded ramblings.

abrod520 and UncleBuck like this.
  6. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Sep 15, 2015

SP4 US ARMY, I'd sing "Let The Caissons Keep Rolling" if I thought the Brothers would put up with it. I was drunk when I bought the Seamaster, I sure wasn't going to buy some puke zoomie moon watch!
    Now, I want a 2179 US ARMY WWII and a WWI trench watch in the worst way!

Joined this forum a few years ago to get advice on selling that Seamaster that I didn't like. A bloke named Warren @SpikiSpikester was so warm, friendly, intelligent and helpful that I stuck around.
    Now I have about a dozen Omega's and another dozen others and believe me(seriously, no BS), I am nothing compared to most that frequent this gathering!
    I just have a gift for gab.

I am hooked on a wonderful hobby, shared with some consummate Gentlemen. I've never sold a watch as I have always found that their story means more to me than the $ that I lied to my wife about.

I will sell some one day, I am looking at a couple that are not my style but deserve joining the club, so to speak.

Save up for a book called "Moon Watch Only" (MWO) and " A Journey Through Time" (AJTT) and strap in for a crazy, somewhat expensive ride.

Here's a few: (I like the oldies)

DSCN0173 (2).JPG 14423036107_ab6bb1203c_c.jpg DSCN0205 (2).JPG IMGP3740.JPG P1020408.JPG

7. italy1861 Sep 15, 2015

The caseback's have been used on Speedmaster Pro's from late 1969 to present.. The top is the early caseback, the bottom is the modern version. Not sure when the change was made but, I'm sure one of the more knowledgeable Speedmaster members will be able to give you more info. The significance is the mid sixties version of the watch was worn by the Apollo astronauts during the missions to the moon.

8. subnuc Sep 15, 2015

UncleBuck, your selection is lust-worthy. I, too, love the older classic designs. Don't part with them unless your heart tells you to. Once a bond is formed it should not be easily broken. Custodianship can be ephemeral; regret can be forever. Trust me, I've learned that painful lesson myself. I can elaborate later, if anyone wants to hear it. For now, enjoy your treasures. They seem to be in good hands. Future generations will applaud you for conserving these specimens of horological history. At any rate, I will!

UncleBuck likes this.
  9. italy1861 Sep 15, 2015

Not sure. I googled Speedmaster Professional caseback for the pics. Check this website out if you'd like more info on all the different Speedmaster references.
    http://speedmaster101.com

10. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Sep 15, 2015

Nuke, please set an avatar for your honorable posts!

I have a suggestion:

images8HOAAFJA.jpg

11. biffy83 Sep 15, 2015

I have been looking for a watch for my husband, and a vendor has this available for sale. I had concern, as he said it was a 'transitional' 1969 but the bezel looks like its a '70. What should I pay for something like this? He is asking $4,900.

Photos are attached. Any advice? What would be a good place to look for a decent vintage (he does not care about the year). Thanks!

image1.JPG image2.JPG
    subnuc likes this.
  12. subnuc Sep 16, 2015

602px-USS_Henry_Clay_(SSBN-625)_polaris_surface_launch.jpg
    Thanks for the suggestion, but he has way more hair than I do (or did). As soon as I can get my computer savvy 25 year old son to help, I'll try and set up an avatar. That's the little picture above the user name, right? I'll also get him to show me how to post pictures. As I said, I'm an oldtimer with very little computer knowledge.

001-050g002.jpg
    Edited Sep 20, 2015
    Taddyangle and Mad Dog like this.
  13. subnuc Sep 23, 2015

20150922_185621.jpg 20150922_185648.jpg 20150922_185805.jpg 20150922_190211.jpg 20150922_190346.jpg 20150922_190650.jpg 20150922_190814.jpg 20150922_190827.jpg 20150922_191030.jpg 20150922_191124.jpg
    I'm going to try and post some photos of my Speedmaster. Here goes...

14. subnuc Sep 23, 2015

As a newbie to this forum I certainly defer to the vastly greater knowledge and competence of other members. Having said that, and based on my limited experience in the world of watch collecting, I would share some thoughts of my own concerning the Speedmaster you posted and inquired about.

The watch illustrated appears to be basically the same as my own Speedmaster which I purchased new in 1973. The caseback is the same; even the printing on the bezel displays the same lack of the "pip" above the first E in TACHYMETRE as does mine, as I remarked in my last post.

I'm not sure what the seller is referring to when calling it a "transitional" 1969 model. I'm also curious as to how you identify it as a 1970 bezel. I need to learn all I can about all the nuances involved. I suppose knowing for sure which calibre movement it has would go a long way toward a sound evaluation of it's value. 861? 1861?

At the risk of overstepping my newcomer status here, I will venture my observation -- based on my own not-inconsiderable research -- that $4900 seems a bit high for that particular watch. Unless it is in pristine, like-new condition you can find decent similar watches for sale in the $3000 - $4000 range.

Over the years I have had dealings with Bernard Watch Co. and have found them to be reputable. I am most definitely NOT shilling for them; I am just indicating that there are other options available you may want to look into before making a final decision. I hope you find the right watch for your (very lucky) husband!

15. subnuc Sep 23, 2015

I have failed to mention that my Speedmaster has been, along with my GMT Master, my daily "beater" watch for the last 42 years. Along the way I've also worn a pre-Daytona chronograph, a couple Submariners, and a few "cheapies". I worked at a coal-fired power plant for 23 years and the Speedy was my constant companion through some rough treatment.

It's never let me down. I think I last had it serviced 20+ years ago. Probably about time again! But it still keeps perfect time and is always ready to go. Just slap it on, give it a quick wind, and you're golden.

It's odd, now that I think about it... I've been a Rolex nut since I was a kid. I fell in love with the Submariner when I first read the James Bond novels in the early '60s. My first "good" watch was the pre-Daytona chronograph my parents gave me as a Christmas present in 1969. (I actually wanted the Daytona Cosmograph but my mother thought this one was "prettier"). I just had a passion for chronographs.

At some point, I came across the Omega Speedmaster Professional. I don't recall having any prior awareness of it or it's significance (although I was a huge fan of the space race). It was like a kick to the gut! It immediately became my paradigm for chronographs. It was the example by which all chronographs were to be measured -- and damn few came even close.

I vowed that someday I would own one. Little could I guess that I would eventually run across it on a bare-bones, forward-based, nitty-gritty nuclear submarine tender in Apra Harbor, Guam. It was like... I don't know. Karma, or something. When I acquired it, something clicked. It was meant to be. I can't imagine being without it.

To this day I've seen no chronograph I consider even remotely close in desirability to the Speedmaster. I realize that mine is just a run-of-the-mill model; not some limited edition special version. That's fine. I'm happy. We've been through four+ decades of adventures and drudgery together. And, we're both still ticking, strong as ever.

I feel sort of sorry for the Speedmaster. My expiration date is probably approaching. No rest for the weary, however. When I shuffle off this mortal coil, the Speedy will become the treasured accomplice of my oldest son -- himself a nuclear submarine officer. Who knows, maybe the old girl will still be seeing duty in the twenty-second century. Wouldn't that be a hoot!

Mad Dog, LawBrk, UncleBuck and 2 others like this.
  16. abrod520 Sep 23, 2015

This is an amazing story and deserves its own thread so it's easy to go back and find!

subnuc and boat2dan like this.
  17. subnuc Sep 24, 2015

You are too kind. And I apologize for my long-winded rants. UncleBuck stated in one of his posts that he had the "gift of gab". Sorry to say, but he may have met his match.

P.S. I'm still working on getting my avatar set up.

18. italy1861 Sep 24, 2015

Nice Speedy subnuc! When you decide to have it serviced make sure they only clean it, service the movement and no polish! Don't replace anything that changes the appearance of the watch. It looks great as is, tells the story of it's life.

subnuc likes this.
  19. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Sep 24, 2015

Typical Navy time frame on the avatar,........I didn't think you were even allowed to own such a sweet Speedy without an avatar!
    Couple more ideas: (be careful before this catches Dennis' eyes!)

untitled.png mH28SRf87DRB8mzoKyFOXKA.jpg

subnuc and Darlinboy like this.
  20. subnuc Sep 24, 2015

Roger that, italy 1861. It's earned each and every one of it's dings and scratches over the decades. I'm pretty anal where it comes to my wristwatches but even I couldn't prevent a few minor "war wounds" from being inflicted on occasion. Probably the one I most regret is the scratch through the word TACHYMETRE on the bezel.

I don't even remember when or how it occurred anymore. Maybe it was on the sub or, perhaps, while I was working at the power plant. Anyway, it's there as a reminder of the years of service it's seen. Hell, I've more than a few scratches on myself, for that matter. Doesn't keep me from enjoying chatting with all you wonderful folks!

When I last had it serviced back in the '80s they, of course, inspected and lubed all the necessary components, replaced the push button gaskets and the crystal. It was replaced with an original hesalite crystal bearing the proper Omega symbol in the center. I still love noting it when I scrutinize the watch.

As we speak, I am having my ref. 16750 Rolex GMT Master serviced. This watch was purchased new by a good friend in the mid '80s. Unfortunately, due to marital discord, he decided to divest himself of the watch and offered it to me. With sadness, I took possession of it. I had "turned him on" to fine watches a couple years earlier and he had chosen the GMT as his first acquisition.

He was a great fellow who happened to be into bikes. He worked on many Harley's during this time. Not being as fastidious as I was when it came to protecting his watch, it suffered some "road rash" cosmetically. I wore the GMT, along with the Speedmaster, for many years. Finally, a couple years ago, the GMT threw in the towel.

It has been benched ever since while I wore the Speedmaster. Then, a month or so ago, I took the Rolex to have it serviced. Along with having it mechanically serviced, I asked them to refurbish the case. I know...I know... Heresy!!! But it was pretty bad. I hope they do a decent job. I will leave the original, faded (patina) red and blue bezel as is. I'm on pins and needles.

I love talking to you folks and will keep you posted on the developments. If you are interested, that is. Let me know.