Forums Latest Members

Anatomy of an Attempted Scam

1. WatchVaultNYC Mar 6, 2018

It started normal enough, buyer makes an offer to my store for a Rolex GMT Master:

Then I get a message from a buyer, who wanted to pay via certified check. Unusual that someone would prefer this method of payment vs a more buyer-secure method such as a credit card. But some collectors are set in their ways and want to pay the old fashioned way:

I respond by providing my mailing address (which is neither my home or physical address - security, security):

Several days later, I receive a personal check. Not a certified check (as he had mentioned), not a cashier's check (as I had wanted). And no return address on the envelope.
    523480-2a800b9511c021ab9c0595ed088c62aa.jpg

Note, at this point I wanted to cash the check and send the watch, because at the time I was redirecting my inventory way from Rolex to more Omegas. $7.5K in my hands, why not cash it? So verry tempting. But in the end self-discipline prevailed:

One week later, crickets! No one in his right mind leaves a personal check for $7500 laying around in someone else's possession. Clearly this is some sort of scam. I send him another message:

With which he responds with:

Nothing yet, you rat b@$+@rd. Scam avoided. Moral lesson: never take personal checks

Edited by a mod Mar 6, 2018
  2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 6, 2018

I have looked up the location/home on Google and after examining photos of the location I believe there is also a chance that the check/order (whether good or not) was sent by a senile or incompetent senior citizen. (no it wasn't a member)
    Accordingly I have removed identifying data from you photo. :thumbsup:

3. GuiltyBoomerang Mar 6, 2018

Case of sell the buyer?

Togri v. 2.0 and gostang9 like this.
  4. kkt Mar 6, 2018

At check number 1026, the account probably hasn't been open very long.

5. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 6, 2018

Perhaps or an old person that does not write many checks.
    The point is yes, Jerome acted prudently: but as we don't have a detailed forensic report, it is not productive for us to speculate further or to ID someone with out an official government investigation.
    So the message here is to use caution and if presented with a suspicious transaction, halt the purchase or sale.

MaiLollo and Traveler like this.
  6. Tuura990 Mar 6, 2018

A scam that has been presented to me many times at my company is they wish to pay by credit card and have their shipping service pick up the item. ETF/WT is always the safest, if you can operate that way.

WatchVaultNYC likes this.
  7. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 6, 2018

Maybe a quick recap of the precautions would be helpful...

Dont use your home address
    Only accept verifiable payments
    Don't jump at the money, pause and reflect before acting
    Be alert for warning signs (no return address, etc)

What else can we add to the list?

8. R3D9 Mar 6, 2018

I’ve been in banking (Canada) for just shy of 20 years, the first seven of which were spent in our retail division.

My advice to everyone here on the forum is: do not, under any circumstances, accept a certified cheque as payment from an individual or business unfamiliar to you - especially if it is drawn on a bank from a country other than the one you live in.

Too many opportunities to falsify the instrument. Way too difficult to confirm the validity.

If it’s a foreign cheque, it can take months for the cheque to come back as altered or counterfeit because countries have terrible systems of communication between one another and many countries’ banking systems are incredibly slow to respond to inquiries and investigations.

It’s just not worth it. PayPal or wire payment. For large transactions, ideally wire payment.

Edward53, kilofinal, Kmart and 3 others like this.
  9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 6, 2018

Don't sell Rolex?:rolleyes:

Kmart, kkt, Dash1 and 6 others like this.
  10. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 6, 2018

@R3D9, I've been curious about the questions I get from bank personnel when I send a wire. I understand they are expected to, and that transactions over 10k are reported, but what is the rationale behind the questions? If I steeply answer "a piece of artwork" when they ask why I'm sending a large sum to a foreign country, do they reporty answer?

11. BenBagbag Mar 6, 2018

Let's take a second to recognize the Nigerian princes who can't share their fortunes with us because a few bad apples ruin it for the rest of them. :(

Kmart, kkt, jetkins and 5 others like this.
  12. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 6, 2018

In effect all wire transfers are reported. All wires go through the Federal Reserve ,as well as any communication regarding them.

13. R3D9 Mar 6, 2018

They’re looking to understand if the transaction is reasonable based upon what they know about you. If what you say you’re paying for makes sense based upon who you are and your history with them it wouldn’t be something you would need to be concerned about.

14. R3D9 Mar 6, 2018

This is correct that all wires are recorded and flow through a common pipe.

15. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Mar 6, 2018

I don't quite understand the scam yet. If a check clears then the payment is received, no?

77deluxe likes this.
  16. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 6, 2018

I'm not concerned really about them getting reported, I was always just curious about how the questioning ties to the transfer. If the answers didn't jive with what they know of me, does that trigger a next step? Do they flag it as suspicious or something?

17. WatchVaultNYC Mar 6, 2018

The scam is that the check is not supposed to clear.

In no situation would the "buyer" leave me with a "$7500 check" and no watch. He would either insist on the watch be sent to him, or instruct me to return/destroy his check.

WhatYourWatchSay likes this.
  18. Tuura990 Mar 6, 2018

Yep, they are looking for things that seem out of place. If everything lines up you are good. I had a wire canceled to Russia once based on I don't know what. Was able to complete it a week later, bank had to clear something up.

19. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Mar 6, 2018

Well, he did not insist to ship the watch. Assuming the buyer was legit, from his viewpoint, he was waiting for the check to clear, which he knows may take some time (a few weeks). He was waiting for an eventual response from you in the likes "checked cleared, shipping tomorrow".

20. ATWG Mar 6, 2018

I don't understand the scam either.....why not deposit and wait and see if it clears and then ship? I have done that in the past with the buyer fully in agreement.