Forums Latest Members

An ownership review of the Omega Globemaster, or “The Idiot Button”

1. Longbow Sep 15, 2018

Hi @Gogarty,
    No, I don’t think you can over-wind your Globemaster. If you keep on winding and hold the watch to your ear you will hear a sort of clicking sound which I believe is the mainspring slipping inside on of the twin barrels. That’s not something that you should do for hours on end but your not going to break your Globemaster that way.

If your Globemaster has been sat in a drawer unused for many days and has stopped running you will find that initial winding is very light. As you keep going it will become progressively harder to turn the crown until both springs are fully wound, but the crown will not stop rotating like on a Speedmaster Pro for example.

For comparison purposes a manual wind Speedmaster (caliber 861) will need about 35 turns of the crown between thumb and forefinger from fully unwound to the crown stopping dead. The twin-barrel 8900 in your Globemaster will need about 50 turns before you hear that tell-tale click. A further 10 turns and it will click again. Obviously you might get different numbers than I did depending on how far you run the crown between your fingers, but the comparison is still valid.

If you ask @Archer nicely I’m sure you will get a more robust explanation and generally fascinating answer.

I wish you many trouble-free years of enjoyment with your GM.

Cheers

Longbow

Dochoersch and mikekchc like this.
  2. Gogarty Sep 15, 2018

Thanks a lot Longbow, really appreciate your fast and detailled answer.
    I'm reassured now :)

By the way, it's so nice to see the 2 barrels turning while you manually wind the watch...
    Make me think about getting a speedy pro with saphir back-case, one of these days....

Thank you again :)

Longbow likes this.
  3. Longbow Sep 15, 2018

You’re welcome.
    Don’t forget your family now!

4. Gogarty Sep 21, 2018

Friday morning wrist check

20180921_105937.jpg

5. Gogarty Sep 26, 2018

Not an expert in macro photo shots, but I though it was worth the try ...

20180926_090551.jpg

6. timestamp Sep 26, 2018

I've had mine for a few weeks now and I'm totally happy with it.

Regarding the comfort of the bracelet's sharp edge - I've read that a couple of times, but it really is an individual thing. For me, I find it wears actually really comfortable.

Then again, what I find irritating is that you can't put down the watch and have the bracelet fold flat... but I knew that beforehand, so pure nitpicking there ;)

Longbow and colonel like this.
  7. colonel Oct 3, 2018

I agree
    The bracelet for me is one of the more comfortable metal bracelets
    I think just a few members have complained about it. Its definitely not as adjustable as diving bracelets with micro links but the links are fine enough that I find it doesn't matter

Longbow likes this.
  8. chanbar Oct 3, 2018

Great review! Off to the OB to try one on this weekend!

Longbow likes this.
  9. Longbow Oct 4, 2018

Good luck and don’t forget the bracelet first, haggle for a leather strap second, the other way round is expensive.

Let us know how you get on.

Onion0909 likes this.
  10. Mitsonian Oct 8, 2018

I love your comprehensive review. I am very tempted to buy the globemaster. One of my new criteria for buying watches for me is comfort and size. The thing that gets to me is the unnatural weightiness of the globemaster which itself is not a big watch. It seems to be that hefty bracelet. Can you tell me how heavy is your globemaster with its bracelet after adjusting to your wrist? I know not everyone has the same wrist size but it will at least give me some baseline reference as I know Omega have been very generous with their links for this model. How many links did you remove to fit your wrist?

Longbow likes this.
  11. Longbow Oct 8, 2018

Hi @Mitsonian,
    Welcome to OF and thanks for choosing my Globemaster thread for your first post.

Yes the GM does feel heavy and that’s why I proposed the use of Titanium for my fantasy GM-GMT.

If I remember correctly I had just one link removed from my GM so the as worn weight is 160g.

Weight-wise, the GM seems to me to be better balanced on the bracelet but somehow more comfortable on a leather strap. How it will feel on your wrist when correctly sized only you can judge; I’m not sure my or anyone else’s opinion in that regard matters much.

Cheers

Longbow

12. Mitsonian Oct 8, 2018

Longbow, thanks for your reply. Only 1 link remove, you must have a huge wrist! Do you own a Speedmaster pro, if so how many links do you have on that watch. That is the only omega I own and can use as a baseline comparison. I have 17 and a half cm wrist so will probably need 4 or 5 links removed on the GM I think making it 151g which would make it heavier than my ceramic sub at 149g. It is a heavy watch as it is comparable to datejust 41mm which my one weighs 146g. I kind of made myself a promise in not owning a heavy watch. My Seamaster ceramic was 160g and I sold it because of the weight. However the GM is so good looking!!

13. Longbow Oct 8, 2018

Not really, it's a little under 18cm.

Yes, but I'm not sure if all Speedmaster bracelets have exactly the same link size. My 1450 bracelet with closed clasp is set at 155mm between spring-bar centres.

I'm wondering how you got to 4 - 5 links removal? Something to consider is that I purchased my GM on a leather strap originally, the bracelet came later, so now I'm wondering if there is a difference in length between the original bracelet on the Ref 130.30.39.21.03.001 and an after-market Omega GM bracelet because I'm sure I only removed one link.
    Virgin GM Bracelet.JPG

14. Mitsonian Oct 8, 2018

This is my Omegas Speedy Pro in the latest incarnation with the big box. You can see how many links are in my bracelet. How many links do you think will be removed from a GM that will fit me? If you are 18 and you took 1 link out, then I'll have 2 to 3 out which would mean the watch will weigh 161 minus 4 to 6 g. Resulting 155g. That's halfway between a ceramic smp and a ceramic sub. That's awfully heavy for a dress/ sports watch!!

20181008_212300.jpg
  15. Longbow Oct 8, 2018

Assuming the OEM and after-market bracelets are the same size I would guess you would need to remove 2 links max. It looks like the GM is going to be too heavy for you. Maybe you should try a Grand Seiko SBGJ211 or SBGJ213, they are ultra lightweight Titanium and quite dressy. Take a look here:-
    https://omegaforums.net/attachments/sbgj213-1-jpg.514480/

Hvu1989 likes this.
  16. Mitsonian Oct 8, 2018

I always like the look of the Globemaster. Shame Omega made it so heavy since they wanted it to have the chunky antimagnetic movement. I am so glad we are moving away from the heavy, chunky watch era. Both my smp ceramic & breitling Nav bracelet were just too heavy and uncomfortable. I am glad i got rid of them. The omega gm is a world class looking watch that would sit proudly with my other watches. I did own a seiko spring drive auto and was very disappointed at the hyped up quality it was perceived and it was too thick. I trimmed down to only 1 "Omega" (Moon) amongst my other watches.

17. Slowpoker Oct 9, 2018

Simply an amazing review, I'm not currently after a Globemaster however with all these photos and reviews I'm starting to maybe think about buying one eventually.

It's timeless, classic; elegant and yet so very modern, I think Omega really nailed it with the Globemaster.

Longbow likes this.
  18. iatacs19 Nov 28, 2018

Great review!

What is the part number for the original Omega leather strap and clasp? I just got the metal bracelet version, but I want to replace the strap with the leather one.

Thank you!

Longbow likes this.
  19. Longbow Nov 29, 2018

Welcome to the Globemaster Club and to OmegaForums!
    I’m not sure what the full Omega part numbers are for the dark blue strap and stainless steel deployant clasp, but these are the numbers that I found on those two parts respectively:-
    676063EE-5895-47DA-A546-F77D308242EA.jpeg A7A35C95-98F4-428B-9800-56E8A6EFB90B.jpeg

iatacs19 likes this.
  20. Waltesefalcon Nov 29, 2018

What a gorgeous watch, it turns out that there is a modern Omega that I would like to own.

Longbow likes this.