Forums Latest Members
  1. RancheroMaster Feb 4, 2017

I've been absent from the forums a little while (not that I've ever been very active), but I'd like to share with you my latest acquisition, a 1966 Omega Constellation (Calibre 561 Ref 186.005 - one of the 100,000 consecutive certified Omega chronometers) with an original black dial. Traded my old Omega Seamaster 600 towards it at a price I could hardly refuse. In the first photo the indices and dial text may look silver but it's more to show that all the text is still there. The second photo more accurately reflects the colour of the text however the patina on the dial is more subtle in person.

Anyone have information on black dial Constellations? Approximately how many of these are out there compared to the regular silver dials?

Thanks for looking! :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edited Feb 4, 2017
    peatnick and ahsposo like this.
  2. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Feb 4, 2017

::confused2::
    are these before and after shots? (or vice versa)

RancheroMaster likes this.
  3. RancheroMaster Feb 4, 2017

Well, one was taken after the other so technically they are before and after. They're only 15 minutes apart, if you noticed that little detail!

4. bgrisso Feb 4, 2017

Don't have the expertise to give feedback on the Connie.
    Side note, color temp on both shots not consistent, contributing to making things look different. Happens a lot with highly reflective objects, mixed lighting, etc.
    Hint of the day, when evaluating color temp between shots, don't look at the subject, look at the background, like the white linen cloth, it's blue in the first shot and yellow in the second, tells you everything you need to know. (I'm a pro photographer, probably a little more obsessed about this stuff than normal).
    End photography rant and back to the watch.....
    [emoji106]

5. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Feb 4, 2017

just shows what lighting can do - and how important good photos are

I'll be honest - the second pic looks spot on
    but the first makes the dial look as though all the serifs are missing from the fonts

if you'd only posted the first I might be asking for a steward's enquiry on a potential (albeit nicely executed) redial
    but since they're same watch 15 mins apart - then just shows how wrong you can be
    enjoy!

6. RancheroMaster Feb 4, 2017

Thanks for the feedback, friends! My photography skills are lacking, not helped by the fact those were taken with a phone camera on auto mode. I'll take on board the tips and try for some better shots later. Still can't believe my luck in owning an original black dial Connie!

7. Furze Feb 5, 2017

welcome, congrats, from couple more.

2016-11-08 11.28.27.jpg

TNTwatch, Peemacgee, ahartfie and 4 others like this.
  8. RancheroMaster Feb 5, 2017

Thank you! What a stunning pair you have. It's hard to be sure because monitors display colour differently, but is the one on the left gold text and on the right, silver? Both original dials?

9. Furze Feb 6, 2017

Both silver script, and both original, serial numbers about 5 apart.

10. RancheroMaster Feb 6, 2017

Very cool! They look to be in exquisite condition. Mine has seen the polishing wheel a couple of times in the past five decades but I paid accordingly, figuring the original and seemingly quite rare black dial more than made up for it.

11. RancheroMaster Feb 15, 2017

I hate to flog a dead horse, but what's the favourite strap option for old Pie Pans around here? I'm undecided between a brown leather strap, a BOR bracelet, a brick link bracelet (a la Constellation Grand Luxe) or a Milanese mesh bracelet. One day I'll have a few different options but I've gotta start somewhere!!!