Forums Latest Members

An open letter to younger collectors who long for shiny old things.

1. vintagestuff Feb 5, 2018

This is the first thread I've created, and I'm new to the forum, but I have loved and collected watches pretty much my entire life. What changed as I grew older and had more disposable income was the cost associated with my purchases. I would expect the same is true of most of the collectors here. They have worked hard for many years and are now able to buy what they love, much like the white-haired men I have so often seen driving Corvettes. They are finally able to afford the toy they wanted most, and they bought it.

My purpose in writing this note is to encourage any of the younger collectors to not be dejected or distraught when they see high prices for many of the watches they want most. I'll use Speedmasters as an example, since that has been my poison for a very long time. I had a co worker a few years ago who was in his early 20s, and he had developed an appetite for vintage watches. Unlike me, he liked many brands and references, but he did love Speedmasters. I felt a little sad at times to see him look longingly at whatever I was wearing, knowing spending several thousand dollars or more for a watch was not going to be an option for him for quite some time. But then I would remind myself that I wore inexpensive watches through my 20s and well into my 30s. I'm sure this is true of many others here. I waited and worked for a very long time to afford nice things. There was no inheritance or family money of any kind. Sorry, this isn't about me, really. I was prompted to write this after reading a post just a few minutes ago in which what I suspect was a young guy expressed his great desire to have a certain LE Speedmaster. I felt his pain and remembered that kind of longing. I guess I just want to say to him and any other younger collectors whose desires exceed their means, for now: You will get there, and getting those toys can be much more gratifying if you have to wait and work to get them. In fact, it's cliche', but I tend to think everything worth having requires a good deal of work and sacrifice. In the meantime, buy what you can afford and enjoy what you have. There are plenty of great watches for a few hundred dollars. I hope this doesn't seem like too much from the new guy. If so, I apologize.

gemstar, nickgr, ASE and 37 others like this.
  2. vintagestuff Feb 5, 2018

And I debated about posting in open discussion or this forum, so please move it if it should live elsewhere.

3. isaacg Feb 5, 2018

I can attest to feeling the exact kind of longing that you mentioned above. As a young collector, I don't have the funds to purchase some of the amazing pieces that are featured on this forum. I've spent the last year baby-sitting and tutoring kids in order to get enough money to make my first foray into the world of vintage watches, and I study daily the minutia of collecting. I've decided to start with Constellations given their history and the vast resources available for collectors. Still, it is hard to not be distracted by watches that will likely be out of my budget for several years. For me, I am partly drawn by this forum because it allows me the opportunity to live vicariously through the incredible purchases of fellow forum members.

Perhaps the greatest challenge I've encountered thus far is my hesitancy to pull the trigger on a watch. If I were to spend $1500 on a Constellation, then I would have spent a year's worth of income whereas a more seasoned collector with far more disposable income may view a $1500 purchase as a standard affair. For me, I feel as if there is no room for error because the cost of something fairly trivial (such as exchanging an incorrect crown) can be out of my budget. And my aspiration to collect on the level of some of the veteran collectors on this forum makes it difficult to settle for anything less than absolutely correct.

I understand that the world of collecting favors deft action combined with diligence. I am constantly checking eBay and, more often, the sales corner of the forum for that perfect piece. However, while there are few things more fun than searching for a watch that I know I will have earned, I certainly have felt serious envy for the incredible pieces already in the collection of members on this forum and frustration at my own inability to collect at such a high level. After the awe of seeing a stunning Connie passes, I am sometimes a little disheartened to know that such stunning examples are already in the hands of collectors who like have "dibs" lists with countless names.

I very much appreciated this post for several reasons. Firstly, it persuaded me that I am by no means the first or only person to experience such sentiments. Secondly, it reminded me that the amazing pieces shown by forum members are not the product of simply having more disposable income but are rather the fruits of years of focused collecting and effort. Lastly, it assured me that as a high schooler I must be patient with my ambitions to collect more expensive watches and grateful to be able to collect what I can afford.

I am very excited to be a part of the Omega Forums community, and I am extremely thankful for all the amazing forum members who share their passion with us young collectors.

Thank you for your post.

ASE, Kmart, dall-houston and 18 others like this.
  4. lillatroll Feb 6, 2018

Great post. I too could not afford extra things for many many years, in fact it was only after my then girlfriend left me that I started to have any disposable income. My first purchase was an Omega megahertz, definately at the cheaper end of the market but I love that watch and will never part with it.
    I was talking to my dad the other day, he is 73 and wants to buy a Porsche 911 but can t get his head around spending so much money on a car.He struggled for many years but managed to save some money. I hope he buys It, my siblings and I are trying to persuade him to get it because we know he will get plenty of enjoyment out of it especially knowing that he has had to wait so long to be able to afford it.

Kmart, Psych, BenBagbag and 4 others like this.
  5. Lucasssssss Feb 6, 2018

As a young collector still in university, I would like to communicate my appreciation for not only this post but all the members here at Omegaforums. I find myself constantly buying and selling watches in order to get exposure to the extensive catalogue Omega have to offer, I wish I could keep them all :(

6. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Feb 6, 2018

I'm a retired old fart and still can't afford all the watches that I desire!

Still, I nibble as I can, plan my next moves carefully and watch for opportunities, whether it be a watch, a part or a tool.
    Often, the hunt is just as exciting as the prize.

The cool thing is that I get to swim with the big fish every day here, view and enjoy countless fantastic works of art, and don't have to pay to get them serviced!

Paedipod, bazamu, MaiLollo and 14 others like this.
  7. jove14 Feb 6, 2018

Hi.
    As I have only recently retired and I find that like the younger generation we cannot afford all of the watches we would like to own.
    For myself I try to fund my better purchases by buying lesser makes of watches on car boot sales here in the UK.
    I then sell them on the bay thus making a little money to purchase or repair my better watches.
    As I understand it from members on here Thrift shops in the States are a good source for watches, have you tried any yourself?
    They could be a good source of funds.
    The car boot season is due to start soon here, personally I cannot wait, I mean getting up at 3-45 when its freezing cold and dark and damp, who wouldn't!!!
    Good luck.
    Joe.

8. rcs914 Feb 6, 2018

It was over 10 years in the hobby before I managed to swing getting a '77 Speedmaster, which is what I really wanted all along. Of course now I'd like an earlier one, but with 2 young kids, car payments, etc. that is very unlikely to happen unless I manage to luck into one.

vintagestuff likes this.
  9. gdupree Feb 6, 2018

Great post.

It's cool that there seems to be a decent number of young collectors out there these days. I am among them, at 28 years old now. I will add to this by also saying if you set your mind to it, you can get it; provided that you are willing to work for it.

I am lucky enough to be a married "DINK" (dual income no kids, haha), so perhaps I'm in a good situation - but still it's difficult to rationalize spending $3k+ on a 70's Speedmaster. I have loved watches since I was a kid, and also a huge space fan my entire life, so Speedmaster's were my natural obsession. I decided I was going to get one, so I laid out a plan. The plan involved selling any of my stuff that I wasn't too attached to, and making a deal with my wife that if I could find a way to make extra money outside of our normal income, I could use it on watches. So I started driving for Uber/Lyft for the 2 spare hours I had in my day. It took a while, but eventually I made it happen. It makes adds an appreciation and attachment to the watch by knowing that you worked for it, even if I could have technically afforded it without the work.

I am actually currently on the same plan for a vintage Rolex GMT. That's going to take a bit longer...

10. vintagestuff Feb 6, 2018

I think I see a REALITY TV show in the making. Are there four boots on a car? Seriously, I wonder why the car boot (we Yanks call it a trunk) thing hasn't happened in the US. Can you explain how it works there? This is the first I've heard of it, but it sounds a lot like the auctions for storage spaces we have here, and that became a tv show. Are these impounded vehicles? Wrecks?

Very thoughtful responses here.

11. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Feb 6, 2018

It’s usually a muddy field where folks set up a tressle table behind their car.
    Like this
    8CFC150B-7590-486A-A101-4A7BF771E1A9.jpeg

jove14, jetkins and vintagestuff like this.
  12. Lucasssssss Feb 6, 2018

Not the OP, but been to my fair share of car boots hunting for watches. Usually what happens is you turn up in a muddy field, nice and early to get there the same time as the dealers. Full of hope and expectation you start trudging through the isles of people with a small table stacked high with things taken out of their 'car boots [trunks]'. Almost exclusively the things there are charity shop rejects/fakes/things taken off the back of a van. What happens then about half way along is you get a little bored, having found no watches appart from quartz rotary ladies watches and get a cupa tea and a bacon buttie out the back of a greasy van. Then you keep walking, still finding nothing, and go home empty handed for the 100th time.

And then do it next week, in the hope that as you are walking past you spot an Omega, or Longines, or to be honest anything without a quartz movement made in China.

bazamu, jetkins, Tet and 1 other person like this.
  13. vintagestuff Feb 6, 2018

OH. Now that sounds more like a version of what we call flea markets. Now I need to know what is a bacon buttie.

And I really do think this would make an excellent reality tv show. I think I made an oxymoron there. ;)

"I understand that the world of collecting favors deft action combined with diligence." -- Isaacg

If my brain worked this well in HS, I might own Omega by now. The only "deft" I knew then was a clear coat/varnish for wood furniture.

Edited Feb 6, 2018
  14. ewand Feb 6, 2018

15. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Feb 6, 2018

Spending thousands of dollars for watches is hard to rationalize for me. With the aid of this forum I have been somewhat successful in recognizing value in vintage watches. I have purchased a number of modestly priced watches I had no intention of keeping. With a little spit and polish (crystal and a new band), I have flipped many of these watches for a modest profits, which enabled me to purchase watches I would have had a hard time justifying to myself.
    My Watchco is one of them, purchased almost entirely with profits from watch and bracelet flips.
    2017-10-01 001.JPG
    Patience and studying is the key. I started collecting a little over three years ago. I started with modestly priced watches and over time, I have been able to move up in quality.
    For me watch collecting is very much like playing Blackjack. You want to be working with house money if possible.

Edited Feb 6, 2018
  16. Lucasssssss Feb 6, 2018

You should have a look at Bargain Hunt/put your money where your mouth is/any number of BBC antique programmes.

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 6, 2018

18. Kja Feb 6, 2018

I remember when I couldn't afford premoons at three grand...

I still can't afford anything for three grand..

Spruce likes this.
  19. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Feb 6, 2018

I think I can afford the bacon roll......good investment?

vintagestuff and Lucasssssss like this.
  20. Lucasssssss Feb 6, 2018

Spruce, merchandiser and vintagestuff like this.