Forums Latest Members
  1. bupdyke Mar 6, 2014

Can I share one of my most amazing finds?

Back in November, one of my jewelry contacts called me to tell me about an Omega Constellation with a gold colored dial he had seen. I tried to stay calm when he said it came with a silver case. I set up a time to meet the seller at his store.

When the dude arrived, I almost pee’d my jeans. It was Deluxe with the original sterling box, paperwork, and bill of sale. What was most incredible was the story behind the watch.

In Mt. Airy (yes, where the TV show Andy Griffith was from) a man came in to the pawn shop with this watch. This was his father’s watch. The watch was ordered by a Sergeant Beck with the US Air Force. Beck was stationed with the Air Force at the Dhahran Airfield in Saudia Arabia. On November 6, 1957 Beck went inot the AFEX, Air Force Exchange store, and had the exchange order a solid gold DeLuxe Constellation directly from Bienne. He also ordered as an accessory a 7077 18k bracelet for the Connie Deluxe. The Constellation he received was a Cal. 2853 and has the 505 movement. The price of the Connie was $176. The price of the bracelet was $150. That was a lot less than the retail, which was around $550 for just the watch at that time. This watch was probably the pride and joy of Sergeant Beck.

Back to the present. The son came into the pawn shop to sell the watch. When the owner asked him what he wanted for the watch, the son said, “Well, I have to buy a scooter with the money. I can’t drive a car cause they took my license”. The shop owner offered $500 for the watch with band and $50 for the sterling box. The son said, “sure, that will probably be the price of a scooter”. The gold scrap value of the gold alone was about $3000!

I offered $3500 and was given the supreme priviledge of caring for this treasure! I don;t know what the condition of the son was, but I was very sad that he would sell his dad’s special watch for a motorized scooter. So I decided to honour his dad and his military sacrifice by restoring watch and the bracelet.

I had the watch cleaned and very lightly polished by a professional watchmaker here in the area who is an official Rolex and Swatch certified watchmaker. He is expensive, but he is a perfectionist, and knows how to respect the integrity of the vintage watches. He even water pressure tested the watch and it passed, which surprized me for a watch from 1957!

The band was stretched and the springs were broken. After much searching, and even after sending it to Omega and having it returned, I found that the only person in the universe who had the stretch springs was our own Michael e. Michael provided me with the last four springs he had, which were just what the bracelet needed. I had my local authorized jeweler clean and polish the band and repair the links. The result is shown in the pictures below.

I give the greatest thanks to Michael e not only for providing me with the springs, but also for introducing me to this really special and fun forum!

IMG_0765.jpg IMG_0719.jpg IMG_0764.jpg IMG_0767.jpg IMG_0768.jpg IMG_0717.JPG

IMG_0766.jpg
    BenBagbag, GregH, Skv and 25 others like this.
  2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 6, 2014

Remarkable story and remarkable find. First complete box set for one of these like this that I have seen and another new box style (Omega on right side). Interesting red interior for the Constellation. Absolutely fantastic.

bupdyke likes this.
  3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 6, 2014

Here is a Silver boxed set for a Centenary belonging to Doug Gravina. Velvet is brown.

007-13.jpg 006-19.jpg 007-20.jpg

GregH and bupdyke like this.
  4. bupdyke Mar 6, 2014

Thanks, Steve. I have been most fortunate to be the caretaker of this beautiful piece. I am only caring for it. Some day it will be passed on to someone else to take care of it.:)

5. ulackfocus Mar 6, 2014

Holy fecking sheeyat! :eek: That's a freakin' awesome find!

6. bupdyke Mar 6, 2014

Ooooh, that is very special. I would love to care for a beautiful Centenary, I once had four at the same time, but that was many years ago. I am catching the Omega fever again in a big way!::shy::

7. ulackfocus Mar 6, 2014

We're glad we're here to witness your revival. ;)

8. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Mar 6, 2014

Wow! ::love::

9. Jimmy Jim Mar 6, 2014

Wow! Just wow!!!

10. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Mar 6, 2014

Incredible...

11. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 6, 2014

Something tells me, "we're gonna need a bigger thread" :D

12. bupdyke Mar 6, 2014

Thanks. Obsessions are both exciting and scary all rolled up together in one big ball of fun!:taunt:

13. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 6, 2014

Only 29 posts and you pull this one on us, farrrrrrrrk! :eek:

And this so quickly after the cherry SM300!

Have you sold your soul, or found a rabbit's foot :D

14. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Mar 6, 2014

What an incredible find! Congrats.

15. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 6, 2014

Ah nice, not many Connies on 18K Flatlink bracelets around

16. Hijak Mar 7, 2014

A full set and a great story! Really incredible find::love:: And love the leather strap too.

17. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Mar 7, 2014

^5 x's infinity

I stopped to eat @ a diner in Mt. Airy the last time I drove a car back from Atlanta to NYC.

Should have went to the pawn shop instead! hehehehe

You seem like a good custodian for this watch. Everything happens for a reason and all that...

bupdyke likes this.
  18. Pahawi Mar 7, 2014

OMG::love::

Congrats, and thanks for sharing.......

19. cristos71 Mar 7, 2014

That is an amazing find! ::love:: Just perfect with all the extras too!

Please allow me to be the first to say Dibs!!

20. cristos71 Mar 7, 2014

I used to see a lot of posts from DG when he (and I for that matter) were active on TZ. He has some watches alright! Is he still around? As I haven't seen anything from him in a couple of years.