Forums Latest Members

An interesting watch collection theme: Science!

1. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Feb 17, 2016

A thread posted recently by @alon "Share your love for the 15K Gauss SM AT"

https://omegaforums.net/threads/share-your-love-for-the-15k-gauss-sm-at.35792/

reminded me how much I like this watch, even though I own another Aqua Terra that I love very much.

at_15000g.jpg
    Image credit: www.jomashop.com

And I got to thinking...the AT 15,000+ Gauss is analogous to the Rolex Milgauss, which is another watch that I've always thought is really cool

Mgauss.jpg
    Image credit: www.jomashop.com

Then I got to thinking some more and said to myself: "What a great idea for a collection theme! Science!" I've been working as an Earth Scientist for the last 33+ years (in the weird and obscure field of Rock Mechanics), so what better way could there be to combine my passion for my vocation with my passion for watches?

It should be clear from what I've written previously in this Forum that I have limited interest in vintage (translate: oftimes beat-up) watches. I like new, shiny stuff a lot more. And aside from the examples shown above, there is at least one other really cool, new, science-themed watch that I know about:

JLC_gp1.jpg
    Image credit: www.Jaeger-LeCoultre.com

I think I can make a case that I've already got a good start to a Science-themed collection, as this watch is closely associated with space exploration and even contains a chunk of Space itself:

IMG_0299_mods.jpg

A question for Forum members: are there any other contemporary, mechanical watches that would be good candidates for a Science-themed collection?

Edited Feb 17, 2016
    Mad Dog, arkstfan and Lou P like this.
  2. Northernman Lemaniac Feb 17, 2016

IWC Ingenieur?

davidswiss, Darlinboy and Jones in LA like this.
  3. fibonacci086 Feb 17, 2016

Omega speedmaster aventurine dial is a nice piece of rock

Jones in LA likes this.
  4. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Feb 17, 2016

I'm not familiar with this watch although I've seen lots of lovely photos of it. Is there something about its function or history that connects it to Science?

5. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Feb 17, 2016

I've always thought that was a beautiful watch, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to get into collecting multiple Speedmasters just yet :)

6. abrod520 Feb 17, 2016

Well, the name Ingenieur translates to Engineer, for starters! It was an antimagnetic watch along the lines of the Milgauss and Railmaster, and was similarly developed for CERN scientists.

Jones in LA likes this.
  7. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Feb 17, 2016

Sounds like a clear collection candidate to me and I've always appreciated the classic look of many of IWC's offerings. Thanks for the suggestion!

Northernman likes this.
  8. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Feb 17, 2016

Looks like a winner and the price is right, too. It's interesting that it features a date window: if you buy into the Omega 15,000 Gauss propaganda, this was a no-no for an iron-caged anti-magnetic movement.

iwc_ing.jpg
    Image credit: www.iwc.com

Edited Feb 17, 2016
  9. chunkythebulldog Feb 17, 2016

Paedipod, ahartfie and Jones in LA like this.
  10. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Feb 17, 2016

That is so frickin' cool! Thanks, Chunky!

[price-wise, though, I may have to wait a while on that one]

[and I already broke the code on the rotor :) ]

ahartfie likes this.
  11. trama Feb 17, 2016

You need a diver! Lots of..uh...science...and uh...and cool stuff down there. ;)

12. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Feb 17, 2016

You have a point, though I think a diver might be a little too general in nature. One could make a similar argument for the Rolex Explorer because of its role in dry-land exploration.

Funny you should bring up diving and "cool stuff". I went on a diving trip a couple of years to test some underwater photo gear the but the water clarity was horrendous due to a recent plankton bloom. I took quite a bit of video nevertheless and when I returned from the trip I became an amateur Planktonologist (not actually sure if there is such a thing) for a few days and spun the video into a little science vignette. My video has been viewed a whopping 216 times, so if Forum members could get it to 220 views I'll consider it a tremendous success.

Edited Feb 17, 2016
    trama likes this.
  13. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Feb 17, 2016

14. Severin Feb 17, 2016

Apologies for the thread Hijak, but in case interested, this is one of the better videos/lectures I've seen on how the enigma machine works, presented well by a fellow from the NSA:

For a general overview of cryptography, including its history and evolution, I would highly recommend "The Code Book" by Simon Singh.

Jones in LA likes this.
  15. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 17, 2016

Terra Cielo Mare
    How about a solar compass and star navigation
    image.jpeg

Jones in LA likes this.
  16. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Feb 17, 2016

No, it's not mine (yet). I stopped by a local Rolex AD and did some prelim reconn. There's a lot of bling to this watch that would take some getting used to. Not gangster-bling, but kind of a geeky-bling.

IMG_0711_mg.jpg

17. jud Feb 17, 2016

Cool idea for a collection.

Think hard about a Milgauss. I loved the look, but it bruised my wrist. If I wore it straight through the work week I wouldn't wear a watch all weekend to let my wrist recover. I eventually traded it.

Jones in LA likes this.
  18. ulackfocus Feb 17, 2016

abrod520, Jones in LA and Mad Dog like this.
  19. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Feb 17, 2016

Yes, I expected some heft from the Milgauss during my test drive, and it delivered. I doubt I'd wear it more than one or two days per week but I'm worried nevertheless.

20. flyingout Feb 18, 2016

Did my part. Thanks Rich, nice job with the video. I could have sworn I had dived one of those two, but my log turns up neither.