Forums Latest Members
  1. cristos71 Jul 23, 2013

...to my main collection are a few old clocks that I've picked up over the years. They are mainly Omega, and the majority have 8 day movements.

It all started when I found this one locally, it was sitting in a small antique shop window for weeks and I kept walking past to have a sneaky look at it, but couldn't justify the price. I knew if it sold I'd regret it forever so eventually I caved in and got my wallet out;)
    It's from around 1928 and is a dealers window or shop counter clock, basically for people walking past to set their watches to. The front panel, with the clock itself, slides out and can be inserted from the bottom, the clock then being lain on its "back" to create a much better, shallower angle if being used on a shop counter.

P1160571.JPG

P2030747.JPG

Here a couple of travel clocks, these are from the 1920s

IMG_2430.JPG

P2030735.JPG

A lot of the Omega clocks of the period were powered by the cal.59-8d movement, here's a stripped down movement and a couple more 8 day clocks, both 59-8d

DSCN0808.JPG

The movement belongs to this one and these are 1930s

IMG_4205.JPG

This is very similar to the last one only this one is even larger and rectangular

032.JPG

A smaller more elegant desk clock also from the 1930s and a seldom seen wooden clock from the 1920s

IMG_2390.JPG

IMG_2431.JPG

Two of my favourites, an Angelus "Foursome" with 8 day clock, alarm, triple date, barometer and and thermometer, all in a handy travel case.
    With it a late 40s early 50s Omega 8 day alarm clock.

IMG_2059.JPG

Anybody else here with a clock fetish they want to share?

Rman, ChrisN, Spacefruit and 7 others like this.
  2. Dablitzer Jul 23, 2013

Now that's a waffle dial! Great collection!

image.jpg

3. ulackfocus Jul 23, 2013

Love the hands on some of them. :thumbsup:

4. cristos71 Jul 23, 2013

What I really like is the number font on this one, it's from the late 40s early 50s and the font will be seen later on the Seamaster 300s and today on the POs IMG_2051.JPG IMG_2052.JPG

rolexfantastic and Alpha like this.
  5. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jul 23, 2013

How do you say "Get me some giant lugs" in Ukrainian?

JimInOz likes this.
  6. MKelley Jul 23, 2013

I think I've seen some of those worn on a chain around the neck of rap artist Flava-Flav...:whistling:. But, I digress...seriously, nice clock collection.

7. mac_omega Jul 24, 2013

I share your love for these beauties, but I have "restricted" my collection to the jump second (= dead second) chronometers with eight day movements so far. The second hand performs like the hand of a quartz movement although fully mechanical...
    8_Tage_SCS_deskclocks.jpg

Here are 2 of them

enjoy

erich

8. cristos71 Jul 24, 2013

Very, very nice indeed, I also have one of these, it is the plainer, less decorated mahogany version. Fantastic movement though with the display back.

Chris.

073.JPG

072.JPG

9. mac_omega Jul 24, 2013

Yes, I know this version very well, I also have one in my collection. They were used for exact timing of the repaired watches of the customers by watchmakers or were lying in the front window either for presentation purpose or for the people passing by to provide precise time for setting their watches...

10. seamonster Respectable Member Jul 25, 2013

Respectable Member cristos71

Indeed, it is a lovely Omega clock.

I have one but with a square face (unfortunately, this is the only Omega time-piece that I have, now). Sad to say, for my clock the correct winder at the back of the clock is missing. Is there a chance you are able to show me the winding-crown of your watch, so that I can try to source an original one for my clock or maybe, you as an Omega watch and clock collector, may have one to sell to me?

(Once I was offered a winder by a respectable member of this forum but my watchmaker said, it was the wrong one.)

This are the pictures of my clock.

Thank-you.

Omega clock front.JPG Omega clock rear.JPG
  11. cristos71 Jul 25, 2013

Respectable Member Seamonster,

Wonderful clock that you have there and it looks to be in excellent shape too.

Unfortunately I do not have any spares at all, but here is a picture to help you with your quest. I think a competent watchmaker could possibly construct one for you without too much trouble. Good luck!

WP_000501.jpg

12. seamonster Respectable Member Jul 25, 2013

Respectable Member cristos71

I appreciate your response.

I hope to be able to get an original winder, one of these days. Asking a watchmaker to make one, will not make the clock totally authentic, though it is a very good suggestion. The clock is precious to me, since it is the only Omega timepiece I have. After it has been serviced recently, the timekeeping is just superb, for such an old clock.

Thank-you.

13. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Aug 17, 2014

Nice collection. It is quite unusual to see clocks, they are less sought after than the watches.

Here is a 1925 catalog page that shows a travel clock that looks similar to one in Cristos' collection (second picture of his original post), showing also the original luminous hands :
    [​IMG]

Mine doesn't have a small second sub-dial:
    [​IMG]

In the 1930 catalog, the second one on that page looks similar to one of cristos' collection (same dial and hands):
    [​IMG]

Two other models from the same 1930 catalog :
    [​IMG]

I also have a 1928 catalog dedicated to clocks, which I post here if you have interest in those :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nothing on alarm clocks, clocks from the fifties or, sadly, on dead second ones.

OMTOM, UncleBuck and cristos71 like this.
  14. homebrw Aug 17, 2014

Interesting that this thread would rise to the top today...I went to my first French flea market today and scored this for 40 euros. It it is keeping excellent time with beautiful chimes. Not an Omega I know, but I dig the art deco look and the stamp says it is from '38. Boy I hope I don't see too many Omega clocks. We have a small place here in France!
    Chris 20140817_143716.jpg

John R Smith, Alpha and Hijak like this.
  15. Mods I'm not really an ΩF mod but I play one on TV Aug 17, 2014

Nice collection Christos.
    My only clock is a non omega travel clock.

image.jpg

16. Interstatetime Aug 17, 2014

I just need to say that I love this whole thread. This is what collecting is all about.

JohnCote

17. Hijak Aug 17, 2014

Very nice Chris!:thumbsup:

18. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Aug 17, 2014

Only recently purchased my first travelling clock and warning bells have been ringing ever since ;) How do you stop at one ?

IMG_1627.jpg

UncleBuck, CdnWatchDoc and Hijak like this.
  19. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Aug 17, 2014

Yann, I am constantly amazed !!

How do you keep producing these amazing pieces of history, these pieces of art, this soul of our interest in collecting?

20. cristos71 Aug 18, 2014

Thanks Yann for the great follow up. Interesting to see that in the 1928 catalogue some identical designs were available for sale in differing sizes, I can only presume to match the largesse of one's desk at the time!

Alpha, you will find that as with all things in this hobby, one clock will look and feel very lonely and it won't be long before a companion or two will need to be found:D

toddle321 and Alpha like this.