Forums Latest Members

An Interesting 18K Gold C-Case Constellation & Bracelet

1. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 1, 2017

I noticed this on eBay, someone's selling both a C-Case Constellation in 18K solid gold, Cal 751 with the mesh bracelet selling in a separate listing no reserve and couldn't help but think... if this were a Golden Seamaster 751, the reference @MSNWatch and others love it'd be going for some significant money but this isn't a Seamaster, its a C-Case Constellation so what is an 18K example of that actually worth these days?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-OME...645570?hash=item238135da82:g:MKIAAOSwmgJY3YeYPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-OME...665132?hash=item23813626ec:g:zGYAAOSwdGFY3ZOnPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

[​IMG]

Since Omega released the Globemaster which some love and some dislike quite a lot, there's been a revived interest in the C-Case shape but I've really not seen that actually translate into people being willing to pay more for them, or to them selling much at all. They're great watches and their movements are all from the best end of Omega's gene pool, their water resistance is better than average for Omegas of that era, yet the oddball styling turns so many people off.

I've always loved how the C-Case looks in pictures, and in wristshots on other people's wrists but when I actually went and bought one in stainless steel with the smooth bezel a couple of years back (pictured below), it looked plain weird on my wrist, and for some reason stuck out and high on my wrist bone both looking awkward and flopping about where many smaller 34.5mm and larger 42mm watches were fine. I ended up having it serviced and selling it to a mate who loves it and wears it as his daily and couldn't believe how lucky he was to pick up a genuine Omega vintage watch after service for $500.

I'm genuinely curious to see where the market actually values this gold reference this time around assuming the seller doesn't shill it up.

OF2_2312.jpeg

Kreindog24 and ahartfie like this.
  2. watchlovr Apr 1, 2017

Around £1,000 GBP would be my guess.

3. cristos71 Apr 1, 2017

I've had quite a few Constellations over the years, but I've only ever had the one C-shape. Much as I tried I too found it very meh on the wrist, nothing like as appealing as the earlier references, lacking both charm and classic design. IIRC it took quite a lot of selling when I did let it go and I probably reduced it a couple of times just to get shut of it.

The bracelet there is basically melt and that's it. Once those mesh bracelets have twisted and buckled out of shape like that there's not much can be done for them.

dsio likes this.
  4. ahartfie The black sheep in the Spee-ee-eee-eedmaster flock Apr 1, 2017

I like C-cases. A 168.017 was my first Omega and nothing about their styling looks odd to me since that's where I started. I also like day-dates so this is right up my alley. I would like a gold watch someday so I'll have to be on the lookout for one of these.

Kreindog24 likes this.
  5. Kreindog24 Apr 1, 2017

Just bought one last week! 1968 gold Constellation 751 cal. Ref 168.029. Absolutely glows in person. I love it. I need to get a bracelet for it now!! I took the Speidel off.

I'd recommend it if you are thinking about picking one up.

IMG_1711.JPG IMG_1715.JPG IMG_1717.JPG

khanmu and ahartfie like this.
  6. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Apr 1, 2017

In all vintage constellation models, C cases don't fetch much money like others. The ones with date only (564) worth more than date/date. Gold bracelet from C cases are the same fate because the lug size is 19mm that cannot fit into the dog leg lugs and others.

JohnSteed and ahartfie like this.
  7. Brendon Apr 2, 2017

No idea what an 18k gold one is worth but I really like the c case. I don't think the styling is odd at all.

Kreindog24 likes this.
  8. Rumar89 Apr 2, 2017

Good looking example! I picked one up in stainless recently and am a fan. Don't think they get nearly enough respect. The original 1040 bracelet on mine does leave something to be desired though. If you put yours on leather I'd love to see a pic.

9. Hijak Apr 4, 2017

The C-case should get more love, have many C-case watches myself and IMO they are becoming more popular. My reference 168.017 cal. 564...
    image.jpeg

Jwit, GregH, TNTwatch and 1 other person like this.
  10. Sgt_Bilko Apr 4, 2017

Just curious how the 751 rates against the 56X series. My Cal 564 daily wearer from 1966.

screenshot_1361.jpg

GregH and ahartfie like this.
  11. kkt Apr 4, 2017

I like the C cases.

This seems like an odd selling strategy. A buyer who wanted both the watch and the bracelet could bid, but might end up with one without the other.

12. khanmu Apr 4, 2017

I like them too - I have a pair - 18k gold and a silver dial stainless steel...

IMG_0633.JPG

IMG_0631.JPG

I'm planning to add a third - white dial with white gold bezel, if I can find a nice one...

13. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 27, 2017

Hi

I have to agree w @Hijak The C-shape case is really a sleeper....

Another Omega C is the early Semaster 120 also very cool and under the radar...

Look at the IWC Yacht Club..... killer....

The 751 is based a 56x with day added.

that is also a shame....

[​IMG]

Take a c;ose look at the case edging... super sharp !!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good Hunting

Bill Sohne

Kreindog24, JohnSteed, Hijak and 4 others like this.
  14. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 27, 2017

Hi again

Also on the topic of case design...

i love this one !!!

[​IMG]

not for the thin wrist ed...

[​IMG]

Pay no attention the ugly steel connie on the table... its GONE.

Good Hunting

Bill Sohne

Kreindog24, TNTwatch, Jwit and 4 others like this.
  15. peatnick Apr 27, 2017

Pay no attention either to the oft maligned yet somehow now beloved Yankee owner, he's gone too, that's one old pic Bill!

16. Willem023 Apr 27, 2017

Have a 168.029 running perfect and top-notch state.
    Agree in a way with the 'difficulty' of wearing (apart from what kind of band).
    Decided for rather thick black croc to counterbalance (or 'add') the case.

Still not very happy with the way it looked under a white shirt. Then found out it really kicks a#s with blue(ish) and not too refined shirts.
    Over the moon again with it!!

Schermafbeelding 2017-04-27 om 20.38.02.png

17. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 27, 2017

Yup it is an old pic.......

Its nice that the watches do not age!

peatnick likes this.
  18. Thomas P. The P is for Palladium and Platinum Apr 27, 2017

I like the C case too. This is not a constellation but it is a C and I love it.

image.jpg
  19. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 27, 2017

Yes sir classic ..

I missed buying one at a NAWCC regional years ago it was mint mint minus and he wanted 3k usd.

Oh well
    Best
    Bill

Thomas P. likes this.
  20. Thomas P. The P is for Palladium and Platinum Apr 27, 2017

Thanks for the kind words Bill. This is an 861. Now I need to get a 321. Patience patience...