Forums Latest Members
  1. MK1965 Jan 20, 2015

Here are some photos of an Omega watch recently inherited from my late father.

Purchased in Tel Aviv, then Palestine, when my father was in the Polish Army either 1943/44. The serial number 999.2775, not quite fully visible on the last photo, suggests late 1943 according to Omega's database.

It is rather battle scarred, but of course now a treasured possession. Any thoughts, opinions as to "exactly what it is" and how I should best look after this watch in future would be very much welcomed.

Mike.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

GregH and JimInOz like this.
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 20, 2015

It's actually slightly earlier than that. Case numbers ran on a different series than movement serial numbers. 9.9M would indicate 1942 or very early 1943.

[​IMG]
    The only things I would recommend is a servicing, if it hasn't been looked after in a while and possibly a new crystal. I would match the type that's there already. I don't know if Omega was making square crystals in glass or plastic at that time.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

noelekal likes this.
  3. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Jan 20, 2015

Very nice marine standard mark2. An interesting early waterproof watch with its specific caseback held by two clasps. Have you got a better picture of the dial? Should be a R17.8 inside and a mineral glass crystal.

Mine says hello :
    [​IMG]

noelekal, jw0n and SpikiSpikester like this.
  4. MK1965 Jan 22, 2015

Wow, nice watch and thanks for the reply and info - much appreciated. Now I know exactly what I have and having looked into the history of this model, I can't help but wonder where my father would have had the cash from to buy it.

I'll try and post a better picture of the dial as it does look much better in the flesh than my very amateurish efforts at photography so far portray. Not that I would ever consider it, but what are your thoughts as to value, given its various scars and wounds?

A couple of "watch repairers" I spoke to assured me that they could service it, also offering to restore the dial along with various other refinishing which even with my nil knowledge I wasn't convinced that I should or whether they even had the necessary competency.

Interestingly one other outlet that I did consult (selling very high end modern watches that they also service and who were far more convincing) advised that I shouldn't touch the dial and that given its vintage I may need to consider Omega in Bienne - they also cautioned that this would prove costly.

I would much prefer any recommendations in the UK and even better in the Birmingham or West Midlands area. Any suggestions anyone please?

Mike.

5. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jan 22, 2015

6. flyingout Jan 22, 2015

7. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Jan 22, 2015

If the dial is original, do not have it restored, it would decrease the watch's collection interest. Difiicult to say about the dial without better pictures.

To give you more information, the reference of this watch is CK3683. Regarding its price, it costed 130 Swiss Francs in 1940, as it is indicated in this catalog :
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And in 1943, 1715 French Francs or 1740 FRF with luminous dial :
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Watertightness 20 meters.....

noelekal and UncleBuck like this.