Forums Latest Members
  1. Lew Archer Jun 18, 2016

...can be great fun.

I dropped by the Omega Boutique in Los Angeles, at the Beverly Center, where I've bought a few pieces before. I brought my old Seamaster Professional, which needed service. I bought the Seamaster new in 1997. It had been serviced once, but was running a bit fast and in need of some attention.

After getting that squared away with the very helpful manager, I noticed the Globemaster, blue dial, with Navy alligator strap. I admired it, but, while it had an appeal, had no trouble handing it back to the manager. A "maybe-sometime-down-the-road-I-might-get-it" watch.

Impressed with my own self restraint (pride goes before the fall), I dared browsing the the display cases. Of course, I was playing the Watch Lover's Roulette...

I took in the various Speedmasters and Seamasters, and reached the end of the case. I was about to wish the patient manager a good evening and walk out, when I saw it.

No, not a new model. Not a limited edition. Nothing exotic. Just a standard production, stainless steel Aqua Terra with a modestly proportioned case--38.5mm, presented, as the ads would say, on a simple but classic bracelet with polished center links.

An elegant watch. A simple watch. One that tells you the time and the day of month, accurately and with legible ease. But the dial...something interesting there: a series of narrow, vertical lines--replicating the teak running boards of a yacht, the manager helpfully explained--which gave texture and dimension to that dark blue dial.

Ok, I thought. No harm in having a look. The manager slipped on her glove and brought out this modest beauty.

I held the watch in my hand and admired its heft, its handsome simplicity. I knew that blue dial would reveal different aspects of its character, depending on the light.

As a watch, an instrument, I knew it would be a reliable, rugged performer. The manager confirmed this, speaking of the watch's master co-axial 8500 movement--a chronometer, naturally--and its Seamaster worthy depth rating, 150 meters.

Ok, I thought, no harm slipping it on my wrist. Just checking it out casually, I placed it on my left wrist. After all, if I was seriously in the market, I'd remove the "First Omega in Space" Speedmaster from my right wrist and give the Aqua Terra a proper going over.

The watch now on my wrist, I thought, "Well, damn. It looks, well, just right. It feels just right, it, it..."

"It is just right," I told the manager, who'd known that all along.

Now, the smart move would be to IMMEDIATELY remove it, hand it over, and get the hell out of there. Instead, I set it down on the conveniently placed felt pad, removed my Speedmaster and slipped the Aqua Terra on my right wrist.

Just to make sure it felt right, you understand.

It felt just right, looked just right. The manager pointed out it was the same reference as worn by Daniel Craig in his portrayal of 007 in "Skyfall". Of course, I knew that, from a chat with her last year. She'd told me that Mr. Craig had selected it himself, and preferred the 38.5mm case to the 41.5. We'd talked about that watch before, but this was my first time seeing that reference in person.

Well, I thought, that chap Craig, apparently a fellow watch aficionado, obviously has good taste. A lifelong fan of the James Bond books and films, I could see that the watch suited the character perfectly...an elegant but tough and dependable character like Bond would appreciate an elegant but tough and dependable watch.

Author Ian Fleming once said, in a magazine article, that Bond wore a "Rolex Oyster Perpetual" (a maddeningly vague description, subject to much debate). Fleming may have simply meant the basic Oyster Perpetual model or, as some have argued, an Explorer. Either way, the Aqua Terra shares the rugged but handsome simplicity of both the Oyster Perpetual and the Explorer. Certainly the producers of the Bond films, who understand the character pretty well after more than fifty years of film making, have thought Omegas would suit 007.

Most of Bond's Omegas have been true dive watches, with rotable bezels for tracking elapsed time...the Aqua Terra being a bit of a departure, as a dressier watch. I like the choice, knowing that Mr. Fleming, who himself wore an Explorer, would have appreciated the Aqua Terra.

I liked the bracelet very much, but my examination of the Globemaster had sparked my interest in the Navy alligator strap. I had a hunch it would really bring out the beauty of that blue dial. The manager explained that the price difference was only $100, and the bracelet offered greater longevity, therefore, better value. Of course, that's the model they had in stock. A great sales lady, let me tell you!

A fair sales lady, too: After some discussion, and a phone call, she was able to offer the Navy alligator strap, with deployment clasp, as an extra, along with a couple of Omega goodies...a bottle of Champagne, (Bollinger--007, at least the film incarnation, would approve) and a smart portfolio. My champagne drinking days are over, but I've got some friends who could enjoy it for me.

No deals at a boutique, but product expertise, excellent selection, first class service, follow through, and few little extras have made me a regular there.

I sipped an espresso while we got through the painful part--payment--then waited while she and a colleague fitted the bracelet with painstaking care, getting it just right.

At last, it went on the wrist and I secured the bracelet (I couldn't quite figure out how to do that at first, until the manager showed me how it operated).

The watch was comfortable and a pleasure to behold. The time and the date were precisely set and I was ready to go.

The manager packed everything up, putting my Speedmaster in the Aqua Terra's magnificent box. I bid the staff a good evening and walked out of the store carrying my Omega loot and wearing my new watch, a wonderful impulse purchase.

In a few weeks' time, I'll pick up my Seamaster Professional. I'll be sure to bring my daughter, whose nine year old impatience should help me get out of the store in time to avoid further temptation!

Anyway...here are some photos of the new watch. After wearing it for a few days now, I recommend it, highly.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Edited Jun 18, 2016
    SamQue, plowjockey, watchme and 27 others like this.
  2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 18, 2016

Well , all I can say is, if there is a sign that says, "DANGER CROCODILES", Then............................................................

Baz9614, OMGRLX and Lew Archer like this.
  3. Linzer Jun 18, 2016

Beautiful watch, congrats on the purchase. A great write up too. I felt like I was in the boutique while I was reading. :thumbsup:

OMGRLX and Lew Archer like this.
  4. Bushido Jun 18, 2016

Excellent line and quite apropos! Congratulations on the new acquisition.

gostang9, dougiedude and Lew Archer like this.
  5. Civilguy007 Jun 18, 2016

Nice story. You had me drooling as I read each detail of you experience. Congrats on the new member to the family!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

6. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jun 18, 2016

That's almost exactly how I landed my bkue aqua terra. It's Simplicity hides the absolute beauty and elegance that appears when worn.

Welcome.to the club. We would T be selling our AT for vintage speedy prices in a few decades, but most likely we will still wear them

7. ulackfocus Jun 18, 2016

Probably took longer to write the original post than it took to buy the watch in the boutique.

Baz9614, plowjockey, OMGRLX and 6 others like this.
  8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 18, 2016

I understand squirrels love these.:unsure:

OMGRLX likes this.
  9. Willem023 Jun 18, 2016

You must be in Sales....:D
    Enjoy!! Mine (sligthly older one) says Hi!

Schermafbeelding 2016-06-18 om 22.31.22.png

OMGRLX, ahartfie and Lew Archer like this.
  10. Lew Archer Jun 18, 2016

Maybe, but writing allows one to relive the experience and share it with fellow aficionados! It probably took as long to read, so thanks for taking the time!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited Jun 18, 2016
    OMGRLX, EatMan and Garv like this.
  11. Malik713 Jun 18, 2016

Great story. I love the subtleties of the blue dial and how it constantly changes depending on the lighting.

The center polished links complete the look for me.

Great choice and enjoy.

12. sky21 Jun 18, 2016

If you don't mind me asking, what is your wrist size? I've been curious to see how a 38-39 mm watch would fit me as I have a 7.25" wrist. The few watches in my rotation are 41-42 mm.

13. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Jun 18, 2016

Indeed there is something amazing with this one. So versatile and can be worn with almost any attire. The blue dial is simply spectacular.

Enjoy and congratulations.

IMG_20160616_101007.jpg

watchme, ahartfie and Lew Archer like this.
  14. Lew Archer Jun 18, 2016

I haven't measured it, but my wrists are average to slightly small, I'd guess. My hands are on the small side, too.

I would bet the 38-39mm would fit you quite well. I've found that once your eye is used to one size, it can take a little time to get used to another size. For example, a couple of years ago, I looked at a 36mm Explorer. At the time, I'd been wearing a 40mm Submariner quite a bit and the Explorer seemed too small. I eventually bought a 36mm Oyster Perpetual, very similar to that Explorer, apart from the OP's silver dial. I discovered after some wear that the 36mm was a very good size for me.

The largest watch I have is a Breitling Navitimer, at 43mm. It's a shade large for me, but still wearable. If I've been wearing that OP for awhile, it may take a bit of time to adjust to the Navitimer...but my eye will soon adapt to the difference.

I think there's an acceptable range of size for each of us. Within that range, get whatever you like!

OMGRLX and sky21 like this.
  15. sky21 Jun 18, 2016

Thank you for the thoughtful response! I've been visually gravitating toward smaller watches recently, as I think many people are now again doing, and I think my next purchase may very likely be a sub 40mm watch.

Lew Archer likes this.
  16. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jun 18, 2016

Great purchase and fun story.

Lew Archer likes this.
  17. Lew Archer Jun 18, 2016

You can't go wrong! Good luck!

18. Lew Archer Jun 18, 2016

The manager just called. She had to order that strap and it's just arrived. I'm looking forward to putting the Aqua Terra on the strap, though the bracelet is quite smashing.

noelekal likes this.
  19. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jun 18, 2016

That's the one think I haven't been able to do. I tried several strap combinations for my AT and have never liked any above the steel bracelet.

20. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jun 18, 2016

Love straps.

Would be interested to see your strap choice for your new acquisition.

Lew Archer likes this.