Forums Latest Members

An idiot abroad, this CA surfer heads to SIHH 2019

1. trama Jan 21, 2019

They let me in. Not until serious Jason Bourne-looking security types had me all but stripped down to my nitty gritty, but I didn't care. After putting myself together, dressing hurriedly from the myriad plastic trays containing my clothing and important bits, the ladies finally took my picture for the neck ID. They said I looked tired. I did. I was. But I was headed for something special.

id.jpeg

city flags.JPG

Also, I'm pretty sure if I lost the ID I would be whisked away behind some partition to be jettisoned alpine style. Loaded head-first into a greased conical dark pipe, soon thereafter erupting into the air high above the middle of lake Geneva, blindfolded. That's a heck of a fountain they got there, don't end up being shat through it. Back to the neck ID: Keep it safe, keep it visible, is what I'm saying.
    fountain.JPG

fountain.jpeg

floormap.jpeg

Where to go first? I decided to left-hand it. This is a technique I picked up in graduate school when faced with any new downtown area. We would go up the left side, hitting all the bars we could, cross the street somewhere, and come back down still dipping left through doors in an increasingly...joyous...state.

This worked for a time, until I was drunk with haute couture offerings, and almost high on the overheated fumes of competing perfumes. Listen my dudes, this place is full of people, beautiful people, an industry awash with opinions and confidence. It was a people watchers paradise.

Montblanc.jpeg

Mont Blanc: Waterfall? Check. Herb wall? Check. Big assed mountain with lake in front of it? Check. Classy desirable watches? Check.

spitfire.jpeg

spitfire.JPG
    IWC for the win what with an actual gleaming Spitfire in for engine service. Inside a full-on replica WWII hangar with tool-lined walls and used flight leathers. Full wet bar didn't hurt. Also, I liked the bronze watches. They got a nice warm look on them, and should patina really nicely. Man, I'll take one.

Hey look, the biggest watch ever! Banana for scale:

bigwatch.jpeg

JLC featured actual craftsmen/women carving and etching metal mid-floor. You could even make a few shavings under supervision for yourself! Made me appreciate some of what goes into these things. These are cool people.

In closing I'd like to say this industry is full of knowledgeable and passionate people. It might be frustrating for some of us to see watches we hate emerge, but just know that it'll all be ok. Things work themselves out. Vote with your hard earned money. It's worth caring.

Or it's going to hell. I mean after all, they let me in.

Edited Jan 24, 2019
    khmt2, Rman, kov and 32 others like this.
  2. snarkq Jan 21, 2019

Cool perspective :) Can you share impressions of other booths? Tell your thoughts on Hermes ::popcorn::

3. Dan S Jan 22, 2019

I had to google Greubel Forsey. ::facepalm2::

trama and OMEGuy like this.
  4. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Jan 22, 2019

Thanks for taking the time to write up this report!

trama likes this.
  5. OMEGuy Jan 22, 2019

@trama You've got a lot of talent as a writer. Maybe you are? Anyway, reading your report I felt in the middle of it all! :thumbsup:

trama likes this.
  6. trama Jan 24, 2019

Thanks! Just got my film processed, added some shots

OMEGuy likes this.
  7. trama Jan 24, 2019

Indeed. I felt if I had lingered even a moment too long in that space I would receive the Alpine Exit!

8. hungdangnguyen23 Jan 25, 2019

Is that IWC really as large as a banana?

9. trama Feb 5, 2019

Oh my yes. At this price point, IWC is best in class, keeping you at the cutting edge of bananas. In fact, it comes with the exact amount of bananas from this exact farm as seen here! Incredible modern technology molded by strong heritage:
    https://imgur.com/j61e9UD

10. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 6, 2019

quality reportage, although more pics couldn't hurt. Fear & Loathing in Geneva