Forums Latest Members
  1. Littleroger Jun 11, 2012

Time to introduce myself methinks. I'm an Englishman living in Germany. I'm mostly into whisky (drinking and collecting), golf and music - I'm a gigging musician. I've been hanging around here for a while and, as I think I'll be staying, thought it would be right and proper to say hi.

I've had only slightly more than a passing interest in watches for many years but had never really considered getting "into" it. Until recently! I was put in charge of a large -ish collection of watches and asked to do something with it ! So I started reading books and surfing the net to find out the history and value (I'm supposed to sell off a chunk to get money back into the family.) The problem is: I found I really like the watches, the history and the stories behind certain pieces. Ouch! Don't tell the missus, I hear you shout. Too late.

I now find myself in the unenviable position of being surrounded by lots of vintage watches (40 Omegas, dozens of Rolexes, Heuer, Eternas, Certinas etc.) which I can't possibly afford to keep, some of which I'd LOVE to have. I'm already working out how I can financially intercept some of my favourites before they disappear......

I'm particularly taken with the Omegas, needless to say ;-)

Too many photos to post - here are a couple of the usual suspects that I have taken under my wing...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll post more photos when I get round to it. I'm sure I'll be asking for advice about things in the future. If anyone is interested in specific stuff, just lemme know.

Greetings one and all. Love the site.
    Roger

2. Littleroger Jun 11, 2012

Here is a random picture of a couple of my new friends. I don't know much about them all yet, but I'm sure our friendship will flourish. Not the best photos of course, but you get the picture ....

[​IMG]

3. Trev The Architect Staff Member Jun 11, 2012

Great to have you here, Roger. Hope you enjoy ΩF :thumbsup:

We have plenty of knowledgable members who I'm sure will be excited to see your collection and provide any assistance as needed. If you list any pieces for sale here, they'll have a better chance of going to a good home.

4. ulackfocus Jun 11, 2012

Hi Roger, welcome to ΩF. Looks like you're in possession of quite a few 70's models. We look forward to seeing more, and will be happy to help you out with whatever questions you have.

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 11, 2012

Chuck's grail, not many around lol

6. Littleroger Jun 11, 2012

Thanks Mr. Focus. The vast majority were purchased between 79 and 89, some dating back to the seventies, of course. It's interesting that some definitely look dated whilst others have maintained their timelessness. I personally tend to the chronos as I'm not a dress watch type of person, but some do catch the eye.

7. Steve Jun 11, 2012

Be nice to find out what model/year this is ?.

8. Littleroger Jun 12, 2012

Good question Steve, which leads to one of mine. Is the only way to age a watch via the ref-nr? I don't really want to start opening up the backs of all these watches.
    Here are a few more of the Omegas. As I'm still trying to identify them, if anyone out there has the time or the inclination to help me out, fantastic - would be very appreciated. I know the photos are bad but I only took them for cataloging reasons. Ta muchley
    Roger
    Will post more bit by bit....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. ulackfocus Jun 12, 2012

The serial number is the only way to identify the year of production unless it's a watch that was made for only one year. There are other clues too. For instance, watch #16 has a break between the day & date making them 2 separate windows. This is the tip off that it has a caliber 102x (1020 or 1022 - the chronometer was 1021) inside and therefore was made in 1972 or later. Quartz didn't hit the market until 1970, and the f300Hz came out around the same time.

Watch #20 is very cool - it's a 145.0029 caliber 861 introduced in 1973. :thumbsup:

10. Steve Jun 12, 2012

Is there a serial number on the back near one of the lugs ?.

11. Littleroger Jun 13, 2012

Steve, I'll have a look soonish and let you know.
    Here are a few others, some of which I think are great. I love 74, 80 and 89, though I would need a larger wrist for the Flightmaster I fear.
    Roger
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Trev The Architect Staff Member Jun 13, 2012

Awesome. Can we have a peek at the other brands too? :)

13. ulackfocus Jun 13, 2012

There's a member here who has the same watch as 80. It was a German version made about 1984. I think he's trying to sell it too.

14. Littleroger Jun 13, 2012

I happen to be a big Heuer fan - there are some great ones in the collection. I have worn, among others, a Derek Bell for the last 14 years. I'll post if I'm not lynched by the Omega crowd ;-)

15. ulackfocus Jun 13, 2012

We won't lynch anyone - we love all sorts of watches. Take a look at the WRUW thread in the Open Discussion forum. I might be the biggest "offender" of wearing non-Omegas.

ps - I'm a Heuer fan too.

16. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 13, 2012

You don't own Hamiltons do you... Because even tolerance has its boundaries...

17. Littleroger Jun 13, 2012

I'm guessing this is a tricky test question for a noob. Mmmh. Like admitting you like Jim Beam if you're a Whisky drinker perhaps. So...... No...... No Hamiltons ;-)

18. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 13, 2012

I love how you had to develop a numbering system to keep track of them haha

19. Steve Jun 13, 2012

I'd like one portion of number 72, one portion of 89 and a side order of 21. :D

20. rbird7282 Jun 13, 2012

#20 has me drooling. Very cool.:thumbsup: