Forums Latest Members
  1. GuiltyBoomerang Feb 24, 2018

I recently sold some parts to a buyer in Mexico. 100% rating, 3 feedbacks. They paid quickly, and in my item description I stated that:

"Shipping is a flat rate. Tracking/signature will be extra, please contact me."

I sent it out the next day non-tracked as I hadn't received a message back.

After I had shipped it I received a message asking if the item could be sent tracked! I told them that unfortunately I had already sent the item out, provided photos of the package and correct address details, and asked them to let me know if they didn't receive it.

A month has now gone by and the buyer has sent me a message saying they have not received the item and are asking for my assistance.

Any tips on how to proceed would be much appreciated!

2. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Feb 24, 2018

How much money are we talking about?

3. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Feb 24, 2018

First, I would have waited until I heard from the buyer before shipping. One day is a pretty short time if someone has a life. Not having it trackable leaves your ass hanging out in the breeze. The buyer may well have received the parts but you'll never know. When he files a claim through eBay, I would think you're screwed.

4. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Feb 24, 2018

It’s on you. Shipping with tracking is a safeguard to the shipper, not the receiver. You chose not to to save some money.... now you’re screwed.

Sorry.

5. sgrossma Feb 24, 2018

Tracking is a requirement for protection

Foo2rama and WatchVaultNYC like this.
  6. gdupree Feb 24, 2018

Very sorry but agree with above. If they file a claim, they will almost certainly win. You’ll never know what really happened and will likely have to give this money back.

Foo2rama and WatchVaultNYC like this.
  7. larryganz The cable guy Feb 24, 2018

I NEVER SHIP WITHOUT TRACKING AND INSURANCE

8. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Feb 24, 2018

No need to yell.

kkt, Starman71, WatchVaultNYC and 3 others like this.
  9. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 24, 2018

Sorry to hear that mate.
    How was it sent?
    Australia Post Economy Air?

10. FreelanceWriter Feb 24, 2018

Correct. Giving the buyer the option to pay for tracking doesn't change the fact that you're still the one with the burden to prove that it was actually shipped to the correct address and delivered. In addition to the risk of actual loss in transit with no possible claim against the Post Office, shipping without tracking also exposes you to a total loss if a dishonest buyer receives the package and still decides to file a claim to the contrary.

WatchVaultNYC likes this.
  11. larryganz The cable guy Feb 24, 2018

LOL - I was dictating while in the car and didn't even proof read it at the stop light.

12. Florin Feb 25, 2018

I had the same experience recently for a low value item (nato strap) posted 1st class, not tracked .
    I had to refund the buyer, but claimed the cost of the item and postage back from Royal Mail. For higher value items I'd recommend a tracked & insured service.

13. Toishome Feb 25, 2018

32.jpg
  14. COYI Feb 25, 2018

Even though the package isn't tracked as it is an International service it still may require a signature on delivery. If you have a postage receipt, I would ask the Post Office to find out whether it has been delivered and signed for.

WatchVaultNYC likes this.
  15. GuiltyBoomerang Feb 25, 2018

AusPost Economy Air. So no tracking/signature.

It's more the fact that if they paid via PayPal, surely they could have sent a message at the time as well? I digress...and eBay have that annoying "send out within two business days" notification so I do my best to achieve that.

Less than $100AU including shipping.

Well, I thank everyone for their comments and will be in contact with the buyer. Tis disappointing, so now I will be increasing my postage costs so that tracking is included.

16. larryganz The cable guy Feb 25, 2018

Yeah, thats why I don't proof read my dictated texts. I can talk to my wife sitting in the car, since that's also hands free, right?

17. Davidt Feb 25, 2018

I learnt this several years ago. I sold something on eBay and the buyer asked for cheaper, non tracked delivery. I obliged, only for the buyer to file a claim for item not arrived, so I lost the money. Pretty sure it was a ploy on the buyers part.
    Now, even if I sell something for a fiver, it's tracked and insured or it's not getting shipped.

efauser and GuiltyBoomerang like this.
  18. jaguar11 Feb 25, 2018

One you are going to have to put down to experience I think....

19. Lucasssssss Feb 25, 2018

I agree with the above, but it is worth checking as even economy delivery often has some kind of insurance value (In the UK, I believe it is about £20) to redeem at least some of your money.

20. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Feb 25, 2018

How do you prove it wasn't received?