Forums Latest Members

An amazingly unhappy first time Omega owner

1. laszlo May 8, 2014

I got my first Omega watch (Seamaster) for my birthday from my wife 4 years ago from Lenkersdorfer for $1,800 in the suburbs of Washington DC. A few weeks ago it started to skip to every 5th second, so I though it is time to replace the battery. I took it to a nearby watch repair shop, they replaced the battery, it never started again - they said that something is wrong with it - they don't know what - they guessed that they can fix it for about $200. Then I took it back to Lenkersdorfer and they said today that the watch needs an "overhaul" and it will be $370.

I am quite shocked: I have never had a watch - even a $20 one - go bad on me - ever. Especially not at the first battery replacement. I don't understand how Omega could be famous for their quality - this is piece of junk.

So, I tried to contact Omega. I went to their website, filled out their form, tried to submit it - "general error". I tried every browser, short message, long message - nothing works. So, this company manufactures junk and you can't communicate with them. Nice!

Any advice how to proceed? I am certainly not going to spend $370 to repair this watch when I can get a different brand for this amount that will work forever.

Thanks for any advice.

citizenrich likes this.
  2. citizenrich Metal Mixer! May 8, 2014

Welcome to Omegaforums. I hope you enjoy your time spent here.

-citizenrich

ctime3, Nobel Prize and Alex_TA like this.
  3. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter May 8, 2014

what model of seamaster?

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member May 8, 2014

Sounds like someone screwed up the battery change. Try another watch shop for a battery change.

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 8, 2014

If they can't figure out what's wrong with the movement, then it sounds to me that they don't have proper equipment to diagnose quartz watch problems. I'm going to suggest that if the watch worked before they opened it (even with the End Of Life indicator saying it needed a new battery) and it now doesn't work after they opened it, it's very likely nothing to do with Omega.

There are a few things off the top of my head that could possibly be wrong with the watch as a result of improper work during a battery change:

1 - debris entered the watch because they didn't clean around the care back before opening.

2 - the new battery was already dead...it happens.

3 - they slipped with a screwdriver or tweezers and nicked the coil, which will immediately stop the watch. The coil wires are far thinner than a human hair on any quartz watch and very easily damaged.

These are just the typical ham fisted things done by battery swappers...there are other things that could be wrong also due to poor workmanship.

Find a proper watchmaker who can figure out what damage has been done, and get the shop that damaged it to pay for the repairs.

Cheers, Al

6. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member May 8, 2014

I expected this thread title to be a little overstated, but I was mistaken - you are indeed amazingly unhappy.

Spacefruit and Wetworks like this.
  7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 8, 2014

As Al suggested above going to a cheap watch repair shop sounds like the issue here, it was fine until they opened it, now it isn't. An Omega qualified watchmaker or dealer would change the battery, replace the seals and re-pressure test it before returning it.

8. laszlo May 8, 2014

It is a "Seamaster 38mm Aqua Terra".

9. laszlo May 8, 2014

Thanks for the all of your advice - I appreciate it.

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 8, 2014

11. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead May 9, 2014

My wifes aqua terra is 12 years old and has gone through a battery every two years since then. I was mortified when the supplying dealer charged £95 / $160 for a battery swap the other month. The only problems with the battery swaps were the price.
    Sounds like the Marx brothers did your battery change. Its out of Omegas hands now its so old so i suggest you take it to an independant. If there is any damage its down to lenkersdorfer.

Nobel Prize likes this.
  12. msp1518 May 9, 2014

Wait, what? How did they justify $160 for a $10 part?

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 9, 2014

What part are you referring to?

14. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead May 9, 2014

Yup goldsmiths my local ad pulled her pants down good and proper.Not even serviced just the battery. Usually about £25 over the years at the same place. I was gutted at the time but reading the other guys woes it's took the sting out a little. Suffice to say those buccaneers won't be changing the wife's battery again. As I said before it doesn't go more than just over two years between swaps.
    The bottom line is my wife's watch is twelve years old, pristine and worn every day. You pays your money you takes your choice.[​IMG]

15. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado May 9, 2014

Sorry you've got issues, but as suggested by others, it doesn't sound like an Omega issue at all.

16. msp1518 May 9, 2014

Unless I read his statement wrong, he asked for a battery change and only a battery change. Now if it was more than that and the case were cleaned or hands realigned, sure, then you need to pay for their time. If I read it wrong then I would not object to being set straight.

Any time I have had a simple battery change it's been $10 or $20. Even at Torneau in NYC.

17. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 9, 2014

If its a Seamaster and the battery is changed you would expect it also have the seals changed and a WPT done, probably testing the movement as well. Paying $10/20 you're not getting a seal change or a WPT done for certain, so you've then got a watch that could well be leaking.

18. msp1518 May 9, 2014

Yes, that I agree with. But the person above stated battery change. He did not state anything else and was complaining all they did was change the battery.

I would expect to pay anywhere from $150 to $200 to have my own Seamaster Pre-Bond sent in for a battery change and new seals and would be glad to pay it (and if other work was done, the price would go up). When I purchased my Omega Seamaster earlier this year I paid $20 for the bracelet to be changed and a new battery put into place. The watchmaker did not have an Omega parts account so he couldn't do anything else. So for now I don't get it wet. :)

19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 10, 2014

Certainly if all they did was open the watch, remove the old battery, install a new battery, close the watch, and hand it back - yes then the price is outrageous. However seeing this is an AD, I suspect that much more was done.

The battery itself costs me $0.68 each. I only buy in strips of 5 cells per strip, so I don't really don't buy in "bulk" like some battery flippers do - they buy by the hundreds and get even better pricing.

If a proper job is being done, then of course you are not paying much of anything for the parts, but the labour and expertise to do the job correctly. As a minimum I do the following for every working watch that come in for a "battery change":

1 - Clean exterior of watch prior to opening.
    2 - Open watch, remove old cell, observe movement for any damage, corrosion due to leaked cell, and debris.
    3 - Place watch on timing machine and check base consumption, overall consumption, then lower the voltage to check EOL function, further lower voltage to confirm Lower Working Limit, and compare all these readings to the manufacturer's stated tolerances.
    4 - Obtain new cell, and check voltage, and if okay install it.
    5 - Lubricate and install new case back seal.
    6 - Install/tighten case back.
    7 - Pressure test using dry testing machine.
    8 - Test watch for timekeeping, operating, etc.

To me this is the absolute minimum work that should be done on any quartz watch getting a new battery. Of course if the movement is either too gummed up (high overall consumption, to too high LWL) or the circuit is bad (high base consumption, failure of EOL to work at appropriate voltage) then we decide what interventions are needed. This could be servicing the movement, or potentially replacing it depending on the price of a new movement.

If you simply swap a battery without checking the condition of the movement, you could be back there in a month if the movement is drawing too much current - 9it will kill the batteries very quickly.

Of course if the watch fails the pressure testing, then changing of the crown and/or HEV may be needed as well to restore the water resistance.

Cheers, Al

20. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead May 10, 2014

Right to clear things up it was £95 earth pounds for the battery swap only! This was on 08/01/14. It had a battery swap and re seal on 27/10/2010 and it was £50. Same shop its always been to just a nearly 100% price increase in just over three years. Thanks to you guys im going in to see these bloody pirates. Please see the photos attached to verify why im skint.
    There is two things that can be learned from this thread:-
    1 My wife got ripped off
    2 laszlos watch got molested by a chimp

You pay to learn i always say.
    [​IMG][​IMG]