Forums Latest Members

Among the cassette tapes...

1. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 19, 2012

While clearing out my grandfather's cassette tapes one was heavier than the others...

Crystal, top cover, and hands are missing, but gave it a quick wind and it sprung to life, ticks very loudly, noticeable from across the room. Blued steel seconds hand and the dial actually appears to be porcelain, it was almost completely brown, but a quick wipe and its back to bright white again with the exception of a chip near 9:30. Apparently it'd been in the family a while though I'd never seen it before...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ulackfocus Jan 19, 2012

Cool. Never seen a Cyma pocketwatch before. Keep an eye out for another container with the missing parts.

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 19, 2012

The hands are actually snapped off, you can see the stumps of them attached to the center of the dial, and the cover part, assuming its a hunter case is also snapped at the hinge, so I'm assuming both are gone, and its had a fairly significant injury at some point in its life. Its actually not the only Cyma I've got oddly enough, there's a manual wind 1949 sub seconds dress watch that my grandmother gave my grandfather as a wedding present.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 19, 2012

Comparing the two, no doubt the pocket watch is older, but that really says something about the choice of porcelain and gold for use on dials (gold in the case of the De Lux Constellations that seem to hold up very well) as opposed to painted dials like the Cyma wrist watch and my gold-cap Seamaster. The porcelain is so white it literally glows under a lamp.