Forums Latest Members
  1. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jun 27, 2017

Now it's not America's for a while, is it?

Congrat's to the Kiwi's and their thorough domination of this years Cup.

They overcame big money with shrewd sailing and total outperformance of their competition!

Any other American's find it hard to root against that big Omega symbol bearing down at them (at 35 knots!)?

We (America) are going to hire all NZ Kiwis next time! Now that will be a race!

untitled.png

noelekal likes this.
  2. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jun 27, 2017

Already have em. It's like Hockey in the original 6 days! Our Kiwi's against their Kiwi's.

Paedipod and UncleBuck like this.
  3. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jun 27, 2017

These cats are just amazing btw.

jimmyd13 likes this.
  4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 27, 2017

Not to nitpick but...

Emirates Team New Zealand was skippered by Glenn Ashby, an Australian
    Oracle Team USA was skippered by Jimmy Spithill, also an Australian

Kiwis make great sheep but they do need a firm shepherd :)

Larry S and UncleBuck like this.
  5. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jun 27, 2017

It was still great fun!
    Those boats remind me of the fighter jets!

The last sheep joke was about a Scotsman, I believe.

What's the difference between Mick Jagger and a Scotsman? Mick Jagger says, "Hey, you, get off my cloud." A Scotsman says, "Hey, McCloud, get off my ewe."

Tributes to M'Bob.

6. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jun 27, 2017

Ok our Aussie vs Their Aussies!

dsio likes this.
  7. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jun 27, 2017

As a Union man, the skipper doesn't mean shit!
    It's the working stiff that makes the difference and these were Kiwi's, I believe!
    Just go watch them pedal their asses off, while the Bourgeoisie (sp) talk on their radios and grip their wheels!

Edited Jun 27, 2017
  8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 27, 2017

The Aussie is there to keep the Kiwi,s pedalling, minute you turn your back on a Kiwi working he's asleep..........

mollydooker and dsio like this.
  9. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 28, 2017

SeanO, STANDY and dsio like this.
  10. mollydooker Jun 28, 2017

The Americas Cup has IMO become a bit of a joke.
    This year there were 7 or 8 Australians on Oracle and two other boats were skippered by Australians.
    Whats as bad is I think the Oracle boat was built in NZ! I know it was last time.
    Bring back the old rules where the crew and boat must be borne and bred in the country it represents.
    I heard today that the NZ skipper worked the Xbox controls to continually adjust the foils. OMG the next challenge will be on a virtual reality field.

JimInOz likes this.
  11. SeanO Jun 28, 2017

they've always been technologically state of the art.

It wouldn't be the Americas Cup if it wasn't.

12. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jun 28, 2017

As a cat sailor, who is way to old for foils of any kind, I say bring it on. These high tech beasts are the pinnacle of tech are good for the sport. It's making sailing cool again. Americas cup is all about that pinnacle. Nacra , my brand, is selling well and we have more young sailors joining our beach and the sailing programs. So how do you fill those crews? This way. My concern is the obsession with foils pushing the cost of new boats through the roof. Why OZ and NZ? Just go out in Sydney harbor in any day of the week and see all the racing fun. It blew me away.

bovecHD likes this.
  13. jimmyd13 Jun 28, 2017

Except that they're not even yachts anymore ... they're the pinnacle of current aeronautical engineering. They're a plane that just happens to be operated on and above the water.

14. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jun 28, 2017

For cat sailors its all about boat speed. We all have our GPS units, pile on in stupid winds to see how fast we can push the boats without breaking anything, (at least I used to do that) ...this is just the logic extend of that mindset. Nothing like flat water and westerly's to push the limits!

15. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 28, 2017

The scary thing is the AC72s of 2013 were dropped in part due to being too extreme and dangerous (causing deaths) and yet the smaller AC50s turned out to have the same top speed but far greater acceleration and maneuverability in all conditions. Makes you wonder how fast they'll be at the next cup as these boats are still in their relative infancy.

16. isaac.owen.nz Jun 28, 2017

Been great watching us dominated the racing the last few weeks, surprised it wasnt mentioned before seeing as omega are a key sponsor and even released (have released also in the past) a special edition to celebrate their sponsorship of tnz.
    Yea the whole skipper thing, well it was helmed by a kiwi and the rest of the boat crew were kiwis. Shore crew we had a few foreigners as well, some very key being the guy who designed our epic foils guillame verdier (?)
    Next time round will be a nationality rule anyway, looking like 60% of team from your country.
    Next couple weeks/month will be interesting to see what rules get laid out as apparently Luna Rossa are very proud monohulls. Though I think that would be a huge step back after the excitement of the cats and for non sailors, they couldn't go back now...

Larry S likes this.
  17. Pakiwi Jun 29, 2017

Grew up in NZ and watched Americas Cup for many years.
    Now life in the States but support Team New Zealand.
    Will be interesting to see what happens with the rules and what boat will be sailed.

ETNZOmeg.jpg
  18. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 29, 2017

I hope they don't go back to monohulls, this type of fast paced tactical racing makes it so much more enjoyable for spectators.

19. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jun 29, 2017

Unless they can foil a mono hell, that aint happening. They have a hot ticket with the cats. Lots of sponsor money.

20. mollydooker Jun 29, 2017

Monos on foils already here. Latest from NZ is the the Italians have a lot of pull and 90 foot monos on steroids not out of the question .

IMG_1414.PNG
    panaitchrono and bovecHD like this.