Forums Latest Members
  1. Socks Feb 14, 2021

Anybody been watching the America’s Cup? Appreciate it maybe down to network coverage (Sky in the UK). Not a sailor but really got hooked on it in 2013 with the AC72 catamarans. The TV coverage and the restrictive and managed course layouts really make it watchable for any sports oriented person. The 2021 series is in Auckland this year with AC75 hydrafoiling monohulls. Currently halfway through the semifinal between UK & Italy. Winner goes up against the host & holder, New Zealand. UK is 4 - 0 down, first to 7.

American Magic was looking good in the round robin’s until this happened.

Archer, Larry S and murph like this.
  2. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 14, 2021

The AC75 is a marvel. I’m on the fence though as to whether or not it’s become too much about flying and less about pushing the limits of sailing.

Joe_A likes this.
  3. redzer007 Feb 14, 2021

Sailing my whole life and AC is super exciting. However I firmly fall on the side of the fence that considers this not really sailing. It's a different skill set. Nuances of sail trimming and helm is negated by the speed and designs. Short course racing : gimme a fleet of one design mono hulls any day.

Again. AC great to watch. Not a hater

Barking mad, SmithSJ and Larry S like this.
  4. Socks Feb 16, 2021

I see what your saying. The downside is it can be a bit processional once one boat is in front. Like the return to soft sails rather than the ‘wings’ on the catamarans.

5. Socks Mar 18, 2021

Well that was a bit of a procession for New Zealand in the end. Benefits of setting your own rules.

You could look at light wind conditions of Race 8 different ways.
    1. The light, changing conditions put greater emphasis on sailing skills and staying on the foils or.
    2. Soon as you dropped off the foils you were dead in the water and made the race a bit of a no contest.

Larry S likes this.
  6. Flysatchmo Mar 18, 2021

I totally agree.
    I raced small catamarans (Prindle 18 and Hobie 16) way back in the day. Also one design 18 Marshall Cats... lots of fun but we were never super competitive. I used to follow AC during the Dennis Conner days but when all the hype about design change started, I lost interest. Too much emphasis on winning because of technology advancements and hull changes and not enough emphasis on sailing skill. The latest iteration of boats are incredible and super exciting to watch. Just miss the the good old boring days of tactical sailing.

7. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 18, 2021

These races have been a clinic on start strategy. I agree that the sail trim is incomprehensible in these boats. I pop in and out of our club beer can races because my Nacra 5.8NA is so heavily handicapped against the H16 that makes up the bulk of the fleet, and on good wind days, Mrs S and I would rather rip. These races have inspired me to have another go this summer.

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 18, 2021

As an F1 and sailing fan its just awesome to see, kind of hilarious that the AC72s were getting too fast for safety, then the AC50s were getting too fast then now the AC75s are even faster again.

Larry S likes this.
  9. Socks Mar 18, 2021

The AC72's used to look awesome pulling round the mark going downwind. The AC75's look even better. Still think the San Fransisco regatta was the best.