Forums Latest Members
  1. JulianK Apr 29, 2019

Hi everyone,

I’m looking for the advice of the forums on a matter. There was a seller who was privately offering some speedy parts for a good price. Of course, I said yes and the seller seemed ok. I’m starting to worry after reading about a lot of other people have issues with sellers from Peru. A couple important details:

1. I paid through PayPal goods and services
    2. I asked to be shipped to my PayPal address
    3. I asked that I be provided tracking information

He agreed to these terms and said that PayPal is holding funds for 21 days. He’s seems to be cooperating but I am just paranoid. Will I be covered regardless in this situation or should I take action immediately?

2. MTROIS Apr 29, 2019

3. shishy www.hpmor.com Apr 29, 2019

Is he shipping now, or is he waiting for the 21 days? He should be shipping now, and once you mark it as delivered, PP usually releases the funds to him. AFAIK they do that with new accounts (sellers).

How is that relevant to this?

4. JulianK Apr 29, 2019

He is shipping tomorrow apparently. I am expecting 1 of two scenarios:

1. It somehow gets “lost” in transit

2. I get a bunch of rocks instead

5. JulianK Apr 29, 2019

I did search around a bit. I just wanted to make sure there wasn’t something unique about my situation I was missing? Some kind of loop hole how he can still scam me potentially.

6. Screwbacks Apr 29, 2019

seems like you are buying thru ebay, since you are paying thru paypal. speedmaster parts could be pricey. if the seller dint give you the track number, you wont be able to monitor your shipment, and the only way to do it is personally contact the seller since it is a private transaction. i hope im correct.

7. Observer I know nothing! Apr 29, 2019

Did you check him out on seller reviews before doing business?

8. JulianK Apr 29, 2019

Originally I found the seller through EBay but we decided to do the sale privately through G&S.

9. JulianK Apr 29, 2019

I should have been more clear, the private seller was not from the forum.

10. Observer I know nothing! Apr 29, 2019

If it doesn't work out, I hope it's not an expensive lesson.

JulianK likes this.
  11. JulianK Apr 29, 2019

I hope the lesson won’t make me lose the money, just put me through an annoying reclaim process. On my basic understanding, PayPal should protect me.

12. Noles_88 Dog costume designer extraordinaire! Apr 29, 2019

You’ll be fine. Just make sure. When you get the package. Film the whole process. You opening it etc and showing what you received. So they can see that you aren’t lying. Makes things a lot easier. My advice.

sdre, AdInfinitum, Uniqez and 5 others like this.
  13. ericmtl Apr 29, 2019

As a buyer on Ebay you are 100% percent protected since it was shipped to your Paypal address your all good, if the seller cannot produce a tracking number Ebay can even considers it was not shipped, a lot of shady buyer take advantage of newbie seller who do not use tracking numbers on expensive items and claim they did not receive it. As a seller I always use tracking number since it is the only way as a seller to be protected. But as a buyer in your situation your fully covered. cheers!

wsfarrell and Observer like this.
  14. JulianK Apr 29, 2019

So if he doesn’t provide a tracking number, I should immediately contact PayPal? I should make it clear that this deal was outside of EBay.

15. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Apr 29, 2019

You obviously missed the part about the transaction not being through eBay.

JulianK likes this.
  16. ericmtl Apr 29, 2019

Sorry just re-read the posts , even if it was done off ebay since you are still through paypal you are still covered and as mentioned by Noles_88 film the process in the event he put rocks or empty envelope.

JulianK likes this.
  17. JulianK Apr 29, 2019

Yeah that was a really good bit of info by Noles_88 that would have totally slipped my mind. The seller had 98% feedback over 3 years so I felt comfortable operating outside of EBay but still.

ericmtl likes this.
  18. ericmtl Apr 29, 2019

Yes it should go ok, fallow our advice , and worst case scenario you'll get your money back if it does not work out ok, just the claim process is a hassle but at least you don't loose any money. please keep us updated with the situation as it evolves.

19. JulianK Apr 29, 2019

Appreciate the support and instant advice from so many members. If this works out I’ll post the results. I’ll keep it a surprise though, stay tuned for the outcome ;)

20. boraxman Apr 30, 2019

Hope it all works out for you.