Forums Latest Members

Am I getting a deal on my first PO?

1. Mike4881 Aug 7, 2016

Hi All,

Newbie here. First, I must say this forum has provided me with a ton of great information as someone just beginning to look for my first Omega. I'm pretty set on purchasing a new PO GoodPlanet model. Right out the gate I decided to purchase through a local AD in hopes of getting a nice discount. There are probably 20-25 ADs in my region that I can work with so competition for business is presumably high.

Yesterday, I visited an AD who wrote me an offer on the GoodPlanet with rubber strap. The price was 28% off retail which sounds great. My question is: can I do better? I'm also looking to get the bracelet with my purchase. Should I try to get a deal on that as well?

Thanks for the help! Really looking forward to any guidance. I'm planning to make my purchase in the next few days.

Separately, if anyone has recommendations for other strap options to explore I'm all ears.

2. Willem023 Aug 7, 2016

Hi Mike,

Welcome!
    I bought my AT8500 some years ago at a local jeweller, also certified Omega-dealer.
    There was some stiff competition amongst them, but in the end I decided to support the local owner of this jewellery. He's a nice and knowledgeable guy, in town for the 4th generation, and I wanted him to have my money although I might have had the opportunity to bargain 100-200 EUR off at other places.
    Sometimes, for me, it is not all about the money....

Before you know it, he is giving me a sweet deal on some other stuff I was in his shop for a year later... :cool:

My2Ksh

Edited Aug 7, 2016
    AestheticAmbush likes this.
  3. ulackfocus Aug 7, 2016

I wish I had a dollar for every one of these threads I've seen over the years.

Alpha likes this.
  4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 7, 2016

First it's cheaper to buy on bracelet then to source the bracelet later.

Is the Goodplanet out of production?

5. SamQue Aug 7, 2016

Agree, purchase the GMT GoodPlanet on the bracelet. You can pick up the strap and depoyant as an OEM. That's what I actually did. Was surprised at the discount that one of the local Omega Boutique stores gave me on the rubber strap and depoyant even though I purchased the Omega from a local AD.

Don't think the GoodPlanet is out of production.

image.jpeg

6. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 7, 2016

28% off is a good deal. I have seen 30% , but not often unless you have longer relationship. Most people are happy to get 20%. Dealers have some incentive from Omega at this time to clear out old stock.
    You might also see if you can get some good swag thrown in.

Willem023 likes this.
  7. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Aug 7, 2016

I wish I had a dollar for every time I heard someone say "I wish I had a dollar..." ;)

CTS-V, watchme, Buckeyes#1 and 2 others like this.
  8. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Aug 7, 2016

but thats just your $0.02 - right :D

blufinz52, Willem023 and ulackfocus like this.
  9. soybeanwatch Aug 8, 2016

Imho 28% is a great deal off from an AD. That's just shy of most grey market dealers and good enough not to lose too much if you decide to resell. +1 on getting it with bracelet =)

10. Mike4881 Aug 8, 2016

Thanks, all for the great advice. I'm going to call a few more AD today about getting the bracelet version. Hopefully I'll have it soon and will post a few pics!

11. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 8, 2016

BTW, while visiting Omega headquarters in Bienne I noticed a lot of the executive team wearing this watch.:thumbsup:

12. Mike4881 Aug 12, 2016

A quick update: I pulled the trigger and bought my first Omega today! Here's a quick pic I snapped showing it in the natural light. The blue is stunning! The weight and size feel great and I absolutely love the strap. I also bought the bracelet to change out for more classier work events.

The best part is that I was able to negotiate a nice 33% discount from a local AD who I certainly will be giving all my business to in the future.

All in all, a great buying experience!! So happy to be part of the club. Now, any advice for how I tell my wife I "need" another one?!

0812161547a.jpg
    Schmedsc, Nitzbar, GregH and 2 others like this.
  13. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Aug 12, 2016

Really really nice... I with they'd do something like that in 40mm ::rant:::rant:::rant:

14. ulackfocus Aug 12, 2016

NFW. :thumbsup:

Mike4881 likes this.
  15. ulackfocus Aug 12, 2016

No. Absolutely not. They've already gotten enough of my money.

16. ioaniro Aug 18, 2016

You do have two hands, your wife wouldn't want the right hand to think you like it less than the left no?