Forums Latest Members

Am I Crazy to Want to Keep a '71 over a '69 Speedy?

1. WatchVaultNYC Jun 11, 2016

I'm generally not a believer in the "birth year watch" because the association between the serial and actual date a watch was assembled is to my mind, pretty slim. But I just got myself a 145.-022-71 and its beginning to pull on me. Not from the serial number, which from the usual online sources says it's from 1972, but its the 1971 model, kinda like me.

I'm not a hoarder of watches. I like to buy and appreciate, mostly without even wearing them, then passing them along to the next owner. The few watches that I keep and wear are mostly sentimental by accident, such as the watches I wear when something important happens in my life. I unfortunately wear pretty pedestrian watches when life events happen (90's Speedy, 2500 AT, etc) and there's probably only room for 2-5 watches that are non-sentimental.

The pic below is my current rotation. I think the Mark II, the 1016 Explorer, the Blake/Sword Hands, and dammit even the SM300 will not be kept for long.

[​IMG]

Now to the rub - I already have a sentimental Speedy (3592.50), and my '69 is not getting any wrist time (its not even in the dam pic). Should I then sell it for a more sentimental '71 "birth year watch"?

Will I have this same conundrum when my Ed White arrives next week?

2. jens0125 knows that watches were made to be worn Jun 11, 2016

If the 69 is getting no wrist time and there is no sentimental value... Why keep ...unless you are trying to get every year and reference....I think when Ed comes the decision will be much easier to let it go...

If you truely are getting rid of the sm300 pm me I may have interest....

Drawarms and WatchVaultNYC like this.
  3. ReturnOfUltraman Jun 11, 2016

Like jens0125, once the Ed White gets here, it'll be that much easier to get rid of the '69. Based off all the reasons you listed, I mean why would you keep it anyways, ya know? Either way, excited to see the Eddy when it arrives. Congrats.

WatchVaultNYC likes this.
  4. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Jun 11, 2016

I think if the speedies are mint, then I would hold them and not sell.

Oh, and the Ed White wears so different from the regular speedy so it makes sense to have multiple speedies.

As far as -69 vs -71. I'd keep one on a strap and the other on a bracelet.

I also started changing watches every 12 hours to increase those in the rotation. Working pretty good so far.

5. jens0125 knows that watches were made to be worn Jun 11, 2016

All for multiple speedies... Have 145.012-68 and a 145.022-68... which wear different because one is minty and one is vintagey... Ed wears completely different and my 40mm triple day date wears completely different yet ...

6. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jun 11, 2016

keep the ones that turn your crank and move the ones that don't.

Keep It Simple.

ahartfie, watchknut, Davidt and 3 others like this.
  7. cwindham Jun 11, 2016

Must be nice to be able to rotate out such nice watches. My rotation would consist of Speedy 69 or NO watch, rinse and repeat.

Tritium likes this.
  8. Drawarms Jun 11, 2016

Keep the 71, sell the 69!

9. nlogax Jun 11, 2016

I quite don't know how to tell you this, but only 4 of that group are telling the right time.. probably better sell the rest :)

Slightly more seriously, this is an entirely irrational hobby - we're allowed to make irrational decisions. Go with what you like!

Nobel Prize and WatchVaultNYC like this.
  10. SeanO Jun 12, 2016

Way too many watches with bezels in that rotation. You could probably do with letting at least half of them go and look to slipping in a couple of non bezel watches (rectangular or square) to freshen up the rotation.

11. marturx Jun 12, 2016

I can take the snowflake off your hands if the burden of a to large collection feels to heavy for you :D

12. yousefsl Jun 12, 2016

Great collection OP, if you ever want to let the pepsi go let me know that's a nice watch you got there.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

13. ulackfocus Jun 12, 2016

Hey, another Speedmaster thread!

OP: sell both. Use the money to buy a blue dial watch. Did you know there are other dial colors than black? There are also other watches than steel tool watches! Judging by your collection picture, somebody needed to tell you that.

....unless, of course, you're a regular on WUS. You're just fine then because that's standard there.

ahartfie and WatchVaultNYC like this.
  14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 12, 2016

He's not only a regular there, but a sponsor.

No one can answer this question for you...

15. WatchVaultNYC Jun 12, 2016

Actually both the Tudor Flake and the AT are blue. Also, angling to get myself a Monte Carlo (also blue), which is about the price of the '71 and '69 so your suggestion might just happen!

[​IMG]

edit: deal for a Monte Carlo just fell through :(

Edited Jun 12, 2016