Forums Latest Members
  1. mjgt Jul 7, 2016

I took a watch to be serviced and left it there for 3 weeks, when it was done I collected it and paid up. When I got home I had a good look at it and checked everything was working as it should and it seemed spot on, time was accurate and the watch wound itself up fully and lasted for almost 2 days so I was well pleased. A week later it stopped dead, I could move the hands, wind it up but the watch was locked up so I took it back to the repairer (at my expense as it was over an hours drive away) and while I waited the back was removed, the auto mechanism removed and a bit of grit was discovered in the wheels, this was removed, the winder replaced and the watch checked on the Chrono and adjusted then the back replaced and I took it home. The next day the watch stopped again but when I gave it a bit of a wind it started to work, over the next couple of days I realised the auto winder did not work and I also found the watch running a bit fast. I contacted the repairer again to be told there would be a charge to replace the auto winder.
    Am I being unreasonable when I expect him to repair/replace it as it was working fine when I took it in (for the second time) and the only person who worked on my watch was him.

What is the opinion of the forum?

2. ConElPueblo Jul 7, 2016

No, unless you live in some weird alternative dimension, you are well within your consumer rights to demand it repaired without cost.

3. ulackfocus Jul 7, 2016

It could be coincidence that the part(s) failed at the time of service.

It could be incompetence that the part(s) were improperly cleaned or replaced at the time of service.

Can't say for sure which.

One thing I can say is that there are 3 sides to every story - yours, his, and the truth.

Fritz, lando, tpatta and 3 others like this.
  4. Canuck Jul 7, 2016

If you are in an area where there are newspapers and radio/television consumer advocates, make a list of them. Also, find the particulars of the local Better Business Bureau. Make a list of all these organizations. If this shop's services were recommended to you, include the name of that person. Return to the shop with all this information, and tell him that you are prepared to spill the beans on his crummy service, contact all the agencies you have listed, and that it would be cheaper for him to solve your watch problems than to start you on your mission! Tell him that the only thing that sets his service apart from any similar service in your area is his good name. And you are prepared to splatter mud all over his fine reputation unless he satisfies you! Let us know how you do.

5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 7, 2016

BBB is worthless (insert 20 page fact checked rant).

Saying you will complain all over gods green earth and the Internet has never ended well for either party. Do you really want a pissed of watchmaker messing with your watch?

There are better ways to get what you want.

6. redpcar Jul 7, 2016

Was this a $30 service or $300?

7. mjgt Jul 8, 2016

£200 ($300 before brexit) if it had only been £20 I probably wouldn't bother.

8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 8, 2016

Take it back and leave it with him until it's fixed, as that's what you paid for. Let him pull it apart and work out what's wrong. If it needs a part agree to pay for the part only this time.
    Things happen, but if you paid a few extra $$ for the part at service or later not much difference.

Fritz likes this.
  9. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jul 8, 2016

I'm with @STANDY labour should be free, but it's not unreasonable for you to pay for the part.

Fritz likes this.
  10. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jul 8, 2016

Unless you took the back off for some reason, after the watch was returned, I would be more concerned as to the watchmaker's working practices, if a "bit of grit" was found in a freshly cleaned and serviced movement.

If you did take the back off (and I'm not suggesting you did) then I would say that the whole cost should be down to you.