Forums Latest Members
  1. Chris_X Apr 12, 2015

I agreed to purchase a 2009 Rolex Submariner from a member over on WatchUSeek located in Germany (I'm in UK). He seemed like a great seller at the beginning - prompt replies, photos of watch as requested (showing serial numbers and papers), we exchanged ID documents (passports and recent bank statements) and even signed a contract (signatures and addresses matched perfectly).

On the back of that I wired him the cash in the first week of February. Then the stories started...

He wasn't able to ship the watch immediately. Then he said he shipped it a week later, but I didn't get tracking number. Then apparently dhl returned the package to him without explanation.

A second shipping attempt was apparently made, I didn't get tracking number until a few days later, which didn't work. A week later the watch again was returned apparently.

Communication became more scarce, but he kept trying to reassure me that he was sorry for the problems and just too busy to sort it out - he is my dad's age, 55 years old and a financial director at a big company (apparently, though his id documents stacked up)

He said he would arrange to wire the money back to me until he manages to get the watch to me (and i could pay him then). Needless to say, the money never arrived - apparently he is still chasing his bank down and is getting a friend to send me money instead.

A third delivery attempt was made, this time with a support story that he didn't fill in customs papers previously because he didn't know that was needed (as it's a transaction within the EU) but this time he apparently completed it all.

Still no watch...same story for a 4th failed attempt apparently.

I've now started telling him I'll commence legal proceedings in Germany - which I will on the back of the contract we signed. His communication has become even less rare, now weekly only to say he's trying to get money to me while locating the watch, but with no explanation what has gone wrong with recent delivery attempts.

It has taken me a long time to convince myself he is trying to con me - all the due diligence I carried out initially stacked up perfectly and the seller was very communicative and honest...I still don't want to believe I am being tricked, but I think I have to own up to it and get serious about the legal proceedings and visiting Germany to sort this crook out.

Happy to hear your thoughts guys, I'm really in a dilemma about this...

Thanks

Chris

2. calalum Apr 12, 2015

Sounds like a lot of BS. Not that hard to work those types of issues out, so not sure what other conclusion can be drawn. Just a wild guess but a lot of the paperwork may be fake. Get to the authorities immediately and see if they can assist. Good luck.

Nobel Prize likes this.
  3. Chris_X Apr 12, 2015

Flips sake...you're right, wouldn't know where to start now

4. watchme First Owner - Omega Darkside Apr 12, 2015

I had a similar issue a year ago. I received promises, fake tracking numbers, lousy screenshots oh his Mac proofing that he sent the money back, etc. Finally I tracked him down, got his facebook profile, his employer's address, and faced him with that. I mentioned to contact the Police and than ::rimshot:: I got my money back. Btw I took me 7 weeks to close this case.

I press my thumbs that you get your money back

5. Chris_X Apr 12, 2015

Trying to get the same on this guy...well done, wish me luck

C

Northernman likes this.
  6. ulackfocus Apr 12, 2015

Never EVER use a wire transfer with an unknown seller.

tinger, jose75 and MikiJ like this.
  7. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Apr 12, 2015

Communication became more scarce, but he kept trying to reassure me that he was sorry for the problems and just too busy to sort it out - he is my dad's age, 55 years old and a financial director at a big company (apparently, though his id documents stacked up)

Did you call him via his secretary/company phone and talk with him about this issue? I would need to believe if in fact all stacks up, he would certainly not want this type of exposure though his work.

8. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Apr 12, 2015

I foolishly made this mistake. First and only time in over 5 decades enjoying this hobby that I got scammed. I should have know better as this deal violated one of the golden rules: If it's too good to be true, it is". Fortunately it was only for $550.US but still :(

PatrickJ likes this.
  9. lwong Apr 12, 2015

You're missing one important thing IMO - references, and reference checking. I have wired to unknown (to me) sellers before, but the clincher was that these were well-referenced fellow collectors, which gave me the reassurance (or the guts I suppose) to skimp on the 4% paypal fees.

Good luck though, and I hope you get your money back!

10. Chris_X Apr 12, 2015

I felt safe in beginning and have done several purchases and sales this way - selling can be a pain via paypal, I appreciate that.<br />
    <br />
    It all looked legit from the beginning - pictures of the watch set to the time I wanted, a scan of a bank statement on the same day I requested it, copies of ID and matching signatures on the contract I drafted.<br />
    <br />
    Gonna go to German authorities to on Monday...<br />
    <br />
    What I don't understand is why he's been in continues communication since then...surely a con man would take his money and run!?<br/>

11. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Apr 12, 2015

Perhaps you could tell us who this WUS member is so we can be wary of any future dealings with him.
    I know there's a lot of dodgy characters here but WUS is a haven for scammers. ::stirthepot::

12. Chris_X Apr 12, 2015

WUS forum member STALT...I've opened a thread on there too

13. TexOmega Apr 12, 2015

Sounds like you, and probably a few others were his banker of last resort. Hopefully, all he needed was some quick cash and will make you whole, soon.

Good luck.

14. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Apr 12, 2015

Scary... As for why string you along it may be that he is actually still getting money out of the current alias ( if that's what it is) so he doesn't want to be outed too soon. After all a few weeks of back and forth may be yielding him a couple of victims more. [[He is smart enough to know 500 is just about the edge of what many people will let go off under the circumstances, because it may be too much hassle or too expensive to pursue him for that amount so many will write it off. That was the biggest red flag though, a 5000 watch for 500.]]****

**** edited to bracket the $500 figure, I attributed figure to OP wrongly. Sorry**

Anyway, what a shameful bastard.!!

Edited Apr 12, 2015
  15. erpin9 Apr 12, 2015

If you pay thru his Paypal account, will Paypal help you in the event that the seller never shipped the item?

16. calalum Apr 12, 2015

The price was $500??? If so, there is no doubt you have been scammed and this whole thing seems a bit unreal. No one sells a watch on these boards for far less than they are worth, particularly with values easily determinable with basic research. And not to be critical, but if those are the facts it doesn't seem realistic that you could have expected a legitimate deal.

17. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Apr 12, 2015

@ Erwin . Yes. As long as it's an invoiced transaction as opposed to a gift transaction. I believe PayPal actually has an outrageous 90 day bracket to get your money back. To the extent that there is a risk for sellers taking PayPal payments now.

As a buyer the most secure thing is pay through PayPal and attach PayPal to a credit card rather than bank account. 2 layers of safety .

bristnj and Frunkinator like this.
  18. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Apr 12, 2015

The OP has never mentioned how much he paid. That was another post of MikiJ.

19. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Apr 12, 2015

Oh yep, sorry, I got mixed up reading through.

20. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Apr 12, 2015

I would post this exact same thread with the guys username on WUS? See how many other people come forward about being scammed by him in the past... If he makes good, you end the thread with his honorable behavior, if not... then he it outed as a thief!

watchme and Nobel Prize like this.