Forums Latest Members

Alternatives to the Speedy Tuesday LE

1. R3D9 Mar 24, 2017

Hi everyone,

This is my first ever post on the forum, but I've been lurking for a while now after catching the Omega bug last year when I bought a Cal. 750 Seamaster with the Sparkle dial - my first vintage watch.

I completely missed out on the Speedy Tuesday Limited Edition announcement and sit far enough down the waiting list that I have little hope of getting one at this stage.

I'm wondering if some of you might suggest some alternatives to the ST LE - modern or vintage. Preferably a 42mm or under Speedmaster, but other brands would be fine as well.

My budget would be around the $10K range. I have a big birthday coming up in about a year and I'm looking to acquire something around then to mark the occasion.

What draws me to the watch is the reverse panda look. Before the ST, I had been eyeballing the modern Daytona (which admittedly would have stretched my budget and been tough to acquire) but both steel versions leave me a bit cold... the panda because the subdials aren't completely black and the reverse panda because of the subdials are silver rather than white (and as with the panda, not one solid colour).

Cheers!

2. Kmart Mar 24, 2017

Welcome! How about the new Heuer Autavia? Seems to check all of the boxes. Reverse Panda, well under budget, and it's damn sexy to boot...

IMG_4949.JPG

3. R3D9 Mar 24, 2017

Thanks for the response! You know, I'd initially dismissed it because of how bulky it is - 15mm or something thick - and the bezel seems just a bit too wide, but looking at your sample picture, it actually looks pretty sweet. Huh...

Any other suggestions? The Autavia is definitely a contender!

benc1855 likes this.
  4. Kmart Mar 24, 2017

I had the same reservations about it at first but on wrist everything is really nicely in proportion - even that chunky bezel.

I don't know if I'm aware of many other modern reverse panda dials. However with your budget you might want to look around in the vintage market for chronographs with panda dials. Heuer, hamilton, etc. There are plenty of nice examples out there.

5. R3D9 Mar 24, 2017

Thanks Kmart! Do you have a sense if the lug to lug length of the Autavia felt similar to the Speedmaster Pro?

6. arcadelt Mar 24, 2017

Since there are no other reverse panda Speedmaster Professionals that I know of, you might consider switching it around with a panda dial, such as the 3569.31.

IMG_5931.JPG

There has recently been some discussion about this in another thread, and there are a few being/have been sold that indicate they would still be within your budget. https://omegaforums.net/threads/ebay-apollo-11-35th-anniversary-panda-full-set.54729/

If it absolutely has to be a reverse panda, then in addition to the Autavia above, another iconic watch you might consider is a Breitling Navitimer (whether current 01 or older).

Breitling-Navitimer-01-46mm-3.jpeg

If the busyness of the dial does not appeal, then perhaps the Breitling Transocean Chronograph. The one pictured is a limited edition from a few years back that is hard to come by, but Breitling just released a similar reverse panda which is only subtly different (much to the chagrin of LE owners).

IMG_5385.jpg

Finally, while I doubt you'd be able to secure a classic Rolex Daytona with a reverse panda dial within your budget, there are vintage Tudor Big Block Chronographs that might fit the bill.

1-のコピー-3.jpg

* Note, some pictures were found on the Internet, so rights belong to the original owners.

kov, munichblue, Mapearso and 3 others like this.
  7. demchocholips Mar 24, 2017

Speedmaster Gemini IV LE?

Taddyangle likes this.
  8. Kmart Mar 24, 2017

^ Great suggestions @arcadelt! Hadn't thought of Breitling, that Transocean is killer.

To be honest I haven't gotten a chance to try it on yet. However I would imagine that the lug-to-lug distance is similar, maybe a mm or two more.

R3D9 and arcadelt like this.
  9. R3D9 Mar 24, 2017

The Speedmaster panda is absolutely gorgeous!!! I've never seen that one before. Given the prices for it are pretty high, I think I till prefer the ST, so I might wait and see what the resale market is asking once it's shipped and a few of the horrible people (speculators) that reserved with no intention to buy put theirs on eBay.

The second Breitling really comes close to what I'm looking for. Funny that two of the brands I've always kind of disliked (the modern Heuer and Breitling) are emerging as two likely candidates.

The Tudor is pretty sweet as well, except for the cyclops.

arcadelt likes this.
  10. BPD Mar 24, 2017

How about a couple of 'Heuers'? With the budget you have in mind, you can probably get these two:

Heuer Monza Calibre 17
    IMAG0049.jpg

Heuer Carrera Calibre 18 Telemeter
    IMAG0052.jpg

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  11. R3D9 Mar 24, 2017

Just looked up the modern Transocean and it is just about perfect!!!

I have zero experience/knowledge about Breitling. The price is up there - does anyone know if this is a brand where discounts can be had at the AD-level? It's approaching $10K CAD (I'm in Canada).

I've got to go try it on now, I suppose.

12. R3D9 Mar 24, 2017

Thanks BPF! In general, I'm not a fan of modern Tag... those are both pretty sweet, though.

13. BPD Mar 24, 2017

OK, no worries but if you were unaware these TAGs are actually reissues of their two classic watches from the 70s. Just like their new Autavia.

As for a discount on a Breitling, I'm pretty sure you can get someone to budge. Where abouts are you in Canada?

14. R3D9 Mar 24, 2017

Thanks BPD - I'm in the GTA (Toronto) area.

15. BPD Mar 24, 2017

Cool, I'm in the GTA as well! If you can find a way to email me directly (I have absolutely no idea how to do it here), I can maybe refer you to the AD I go to for my watches. They are super nice and helpful and they carry Breitling. And yes, they are always willing to work something out for you.

16. R3D9 Mar 24, 2017

Thank you! Once I'm ready to pull the trigger I'll PM you. Much appreciated!

17. ohmzx Mar 24, 2017

I would recommend Breitling Navitimer 01 (in house movement from Breitling) or IWC Portuguese Chrono. :)

upload_2017-3-24_21-25-35.png

upload_2017-3-24_21-27-25.png

18. BPD Mar 24, 2017

No problem!

19. arcadelt Mar 24, 2017

@ohmzx, I've always loved that version of the Portuguese; however, it is not a chronograph, rather a two-hander with a power reserve and small seconds.

20. munichblue Mar 25, 2017

Actually there is no alternative for a Speedy Tuesday...:cool:

jv91, ChronGo, watchme and 4 others like this.