Forums Latest Members

Alternative to Omega Service Center??

1. sishac Aug 23, 2013

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum. I currently own three Omega watches; a 1961 Seamaster 30 with a 186 movement and "explorer" redial, a restored 1968 SM300 and a Speedy Pro from 1999 (plastic crystal with display back)....the Speedy needs to be serviced and my local Omega Boutique quoted me about $800. Can anyone recommend a good reasonable watchmaker in the US? I'm in Philly.

Thanks

2. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Aug 23, 2013

Al (Archer) in this forum is highly recommended. PM him directly.

3. ulackfocus Aug 23, 2013

Al would be a good choice although he's recently said he was swamped. So is Steve / N2FHL, a watchmaker who works in Marlton, NJ and lives near there. If you're in Philly try Sam Kalter on the NE corner of Sansom & 7th - Jeweler's Row. He's been doing watches for me for years, and was a serious influence on my early formative years in this hobby. You can call him at (215) 629 - 1022 and tell him you're a collector from the same forum Dennis is on.

And get a hot dog from the guy on 7th on the other side of Sansom in front of the nail salon. :thumbsup:

JohnSteed likes this.
  4. Spy You know my name. Aug 26, 2013

Does that also guarantee a discount on OMEGA watches?

5. ulackfocus Aug 26, 2013

:p No, but he'd probably give a little break on his price.

6. richardew Aug 27, 2013

sishac, you're in luck. There are a number of good options in and around Philadelphia. I've been using Precision Watch Repair @ 10th and Chestnut. The shop used to be an authorized Omega repair center until they did away with independents a few years ago. I've been using their services since ~1992 for any warranty work my new ones needed and recently he has serviced a few c861s and c321s for me. It's a bit cheaper than Omega. I've been paying about ~600 for service on my chronos. They charge $300 for the service plus parts - crystal, crown, pushers and gaskets. I'd stay away from the dirty water hot dogs though and grab a meal in Chinatown instead. Govberg can also service your watch although I have no experience with them. Precision Watches in Warrington (not to be confused with Precision watch repair) is an Omega AD that also has a watchmaker on site. They aren't an authorized repair center but do service Omegas. Again, I have no service experience with them, but I have bought a few new watches from them.