Forums Latest Members

AlphaGo (AI) – a terrific documentary!

1. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Nov 12, 2020

Well worth watching, and full screen.

NotAClue, Pun, KingCrouchy and 6 others like this.
  2. shishy www.hpmor.com Nov 12, 2020

Super fun! Got to watch it in theatres (the good old days) when it first came out.

Also anyone here play Go? DM me :)

3. Dash1 Nov 14, 2020

Thanks for flagging this up, watched it last night, superb!
    I’m must start playing Go.

Tony C. likes this.
  4. size11s Can’t bat, can’t bowl Nov 14, 2020

A brilliantly made documentary. Entertaining and enlightening, thank you for flagging this up.

Tony C. likes this.
  5. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Nov 14, 2020

Yes - a moving film.

Watching a totally complete human forced to re assess himself when he realises that his super-brain while crushing other humans is simply a pile of organic mush and that one day we will all serve the machines.

Or was it just me?

Great film, and great reminder.

Tony C., Archer and Emeister like this.
  6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 14, 2020

One day is already here......

Bit like a pilot not having to fly or land a plane unless the computer breaks down, or a astronaut that sits in a armchair until he is docked at the space station. ;)

Spacefruit likes this.
  7. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Nov 14, 2020

SPOILERS
    Sad though it was I felt that the documentary gave some hope that there could be the possibility of a better understanding of the creativity and artistry that Lee Sedol so clearly enjoyed in a game he had studied so thoroughly since childhood.
    I wish I could comprehend the 1 in 10,000 "God move" that he played in game 4.

It was very sad to later discover that Sedol completely retired from the game two years later.
    I'd have to read further but the thought that he completely lost any sense of purpose is disturbing.
    An updated version of Alphago has since beaten the version that played Sedol by 100 games to nil!

Dash1 likes this.
  8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 15, 2020

Interesting film. I wish it had focused a bit more on the implications of AI though. There were a few passing mentions of various benefits that could come from this technology, but little was said of the drawbacks (other than the obvious personal implications for those directly involved in losing to a computer).

This is an interesting web site:

https://thispersondoesnotexist.com/

The site will bring up a photo of a person, that does not exist. Every time you click refresh, it shows a new image of a person that does not exist. These are all AI generated photos.

Video has not yet achieved this level, but it likely won't be long until it does. Then what we see with our own eyes on a screen will always be suspect unless there some sort of digital authenticity watermark system. Just one implication that can be used for good or definitely for bad.

The bigger questions is really when do we give control over to AI? We already do it in small ways, but where does this end? Unfortunately it's something that will be here long before there is enough thought put into it on how it should be handled, and we won't be able to put the genie back in the bottle...

FCA and Dash1 like this.
  9. High Hope Nov 15, 2020

That is just creepy.

10. Fallout Boy Feb 16, 2024