Forums Latest Members

Almost Ready To Join The Speedmaster Club

1. alexgalt Feb 13, 2013

Hello again,
    Thanks for all of your help with my earlier questions. I found ebay to have too much risk for someone with as little Omega experience as I have so I've decided to go with a new watch. I've narrowed it down to the following three and I wonder what advice you might have between them. The price differences are not significant and I seem to like all of them equally (definitely not an option to buy all three) so anyone with experience with any of them or knowledge about the different movements or any other advice would be greatly appreciated.
    http://www.omegawatches.com/gents/speedmaster/professional-moonwatch/31130423013001
    http://www.omegawatches.com/gents/speedmaster/day-date/32205000
    http://www.omegawatches.com/gents/speedmaster/professional-moonwatch/35705000

Here are some of the factors I consider but none of them is paramount:
    1.It won't be an every day watch because I have several that I rotate but it would be worn often and I'm not known for babying my watches.
    2. I do like a day and date but it isn't a requirement.
    3. I love the "moon" prestige of the speedy.
    4. I sort of like the brown model because it is a bit unusual or uncommon.
    5. I enjoy a saphire back but also like the tradition of the stainless moon back.
    6. This will likely be the only Omega I buy.

If that isn't a schizophrenic set of conflicting choices then I don't know what is. I yield to the experts for any advice you can offer and thanks for taking the time to read the post.

2. Noisy Nova Feb 13, 2013

I'll sell ye this one from the early eighties. Serviced. PM me. :)
    [​IMG]

3. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Feb 13, 2013

Alex,
    Factor no6, I doubt it you will be hooked just like the rest of us :thumbsup:

4. pascs Feb 13, 2013

The 3570.50 is the watch which many will say retains the tradition of the original Speedmaster design. It has the 1861 movement and hesalite crystal - I'm sure these will retain their value in the future.

I have the 31130423013001 which is basically the same as the 3570.50 but has the brown dial and sapphire crystal front and back. It has the 1863 movement and for me has a real character with the brown dial.

The 32205000 is the smaller case with the 3606 movement. Since it doesnt have the traditional 861 based movement it might be seen as not as traditional.

I would also make sure that you buy the watch with a steel bracelet. This is a very nice bracelet and something I'm sure you will want. You can later buy a nice leather strap from the likes of Hirsch to give your watch a different look at a cheap cost.

5. alam Feb 13, 2013

I'd say the 3570.50 satisfies factors 1-5.

[​IMG]

6. alexgalt Feb 13, 2013

Thank you for the help. I've eliminated the 32205000 so I'm down to the other two.
    Pascs, the brown dial is also appealing to me. It seems to have the internal tradition but something a little different about it as well.
    Alam, thanks for the advice and the picture, it looks awesome. About factor 6, I have no doubt I'll buy other watches but I have a feeling that they will be other brands as my daily taste tends to be less sporty than many of the watches in the Omega line but I already feel a lurking attraction to the Constellation. It never ends.

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 13, 2013

+1 for 3570.50, its much like Porsches, you can buy the Targa or the Cabriolet but the vanilla Carrera is happens to be the true original.

8. pascs Feb 14, 2013

I plan to eventually buy a '60's Speedmaster (or possibly a MkII ) and then have my newer brown dial Speedmaster as a variation on the traditional, best of both worlds imo :)