Forums Latest Members

Almost pulled the trigger but nah......Glad it sold...

1. Just Livin Jun 22, 2017

Here was a couple in the last two days.......anyone else get itchy fingers recently/

The Hodinkee Skipper:
    https://shop.hodinkee.com/products/...ited-edition-for-hodinkee?variant=46356448655
    Loved the initial look, but price high and did need a 5-10-15 registry. My problems went away when they sold out in an hour.

Liked this Ebay piece where the seller decided to drop 10% during the course of the relished auction.
    A shade more maybe and maybe....glad it sold.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yema-Rall...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Just wondered if anyone else had similar experiences recently?

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 22, 2017

I'm way too impulsive when it comes to purchases which is a two edged sword, I didn't miss the Speedy Tuesday LE, or a new pair of headphones I was after but I'm not joking about how broke I'm going to be afterwards until at least September. This stuff keeps me poor so much that its literally at the minimising travel to avoid paying for petrol and eating old food out of the pantry in tins to stop having to go to the shops level.

3. abrod520 Jun 22, 2017

I make what I consider to be good money and still eat like a college student during the week thanks to this hobby/disease. Priorities.

Dgercp, Kmart, neilfrancis and 6 others like this.
  4. Paedipod Jun 22, 2017

If I ate like I did as a college student I would probably be over 300 lbs........

5. abrod520 Jun 22, 2017

Well, I'm not eating like a college student on a Saturday night, but I could still use to lose some weight :D

Paedipod likes this.
  6. Paedipod Jun 22, 2017

something to be said for two-a-day practices year round for burning calories.

7. Vitezi Jun 22, 2017

I have this reaction quite often, given the froth in vintage watch prices.
    I'm glad when they sell so I don't have to look wistfully at those pictures anymore.:(

Larry S and Just Livin like this.
  8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 22, 2017

The hilarious thing is my sister is a doctor starting down the neurosurgeon path, and she talks about being able to buy as many good watches as she wants once she's established in that career. She doesn't quite get how many very talented doctors, lawyers and entrepreneurs have had to max out credit cards and hit the baked beans and 2 minute noodles for this thing. :unsure:

LouS, Kmart, Paedipod and 3 others like this.
  9. abrod520 Jun 22, 2017

Thank jeebus you can't overdose on watches is all I'll say

10. mac_omega Jun 23, 2017

who cares? My bank has plenty of money and they are veeery friendly to me as long I have deep red numbers in their books...

11. TLIGuy Jun 23, 2017

@dsio it will all be worth it in the end.

Just think, after 25,757 meals your new Speedy Tuesday will be paid for in only 23 and half years. It seems like a small price to pay for such a lovely watch.

IMG_1796.JPG

12. chipsotoole Jun 23, 2017

I contracted the disease after being left a military JLC by a relative. Took me 200 Euros to fix but it's lovely..though a bit small on my wrist. I wear it once a month on a Sunday If I'm not doing any chores. Suddenly I started buying and selling on a small scale 30-70 Euro range...made a few mistakes, made a few small profits, read into the subject and tried to find a market gap.I was scouring all the mainland european eBay sites as often non-English speakers don't title their listings carefully enough. THEN I discovered that I was keeping ALL the best pieces back for myself.....I searched forever for a round style Chronostop and found a peach with box for only 437 Euros. I got lucky a few times in buying "lots"... I picked up a 50's JLC and a Gerrard perregaux 352 in the same lot for 215 Euros.
    I find I'm still trying to sell off a bit of the old "dross" but my collection of more, shall we say, 1st Division watches is growing. NOW I'm interested not only in aestethics, but movements, especially Lemania. I've got three watches out for repairs and revisions and I'm likely to be looking at a bill of 6-900 Euros...This is an expensive hobby. If this continues I get the feeling that I'll probably only ever get most watches revised once and then sell on when the time is due. My philosophy is that I must wear them all relatively regularly. I haven't even decided where the focus of my hobby lies...sigh speedy.jpg eberhard.jpg IMG_1941.jpg IMG_2454.jpg

13. noiseboyuk Jun 23, 2017

Unfortunately, I'm a bit the other way.
    I tend to pull the trigger a bit too often.
    It's got me into some awkward corners
    I think my motto should be 'I can resist anything but temptation'.
    Ah, but what the hell - onwards to the next one......................

Nathan1967 and Just Livin like this.
  14. Wibbles Jun 23, 2017

I've nearly always set myself a limit of 2-300 quid, though if a few ales are on board late of a winter's evening that limit can be flexible, though I never go over the 500 mark. So at that kinda outlay the sting is not too bad if I end up with a dud. Though so far I've been extremely lucky. That said, such a limit was fine a few years ago and I could source some very nice pieces, these days the hunt is much longer and deeper.

I also do what ChipsOToole above does and search non anglosphere local eBay auctions. As he notes, spelling can mask a bargain. I've bought a couple of "Lomgines" in my time. :) A Gerard Perregaux or two with it. Plus I have found English speaking collectors tend not to look outside the English speaking world/listings*. Even knowing the equivalent words for a watch type in another language can bring up a lot more results.

Rarely had any issue with "local" sellers that would only sell to their country. I'd send them an email in my well dodgy French/Spanish/Italian and they'd have no problem selling to me(probably took pity on me :)). Exceptions have been German folks for some reason? And quite a few American folks will only post to the US. But that's about it.

Over the years I've tended to avoid what's "fashionable" at the time and go for the more niche, but still quality stuff. That can save a few quid. So when you couldn't give away 1970's watches even from the big names, I'd be looking at them.

*being from Ireland, where the local market is positively tiny, I've always had to look beyond my shores, going as far back as the 80's. The first time I walked around a London market back then I nearly fainted at the stuff on offer. :)

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  15. Paedipod Jun 23, 2017

most of the neurosurgeons I know don't need a watch......they decide what time it is.

16. Seacow Jun 23, 2017

I almost purchased that skipper... but I don't think it have the same feel as the old ones. The size is too big, logo on the dial is too fat, and the date window....it just feels wrong....and 5900$ can get me a nice old rolex sub ....ummmmm

17. Motman Jun 23, 2017

I had a recent close shave with a pre-owned Breguet automatic. Despite asking for offers, I offered just £150 short of the asking price of £7,150. It's still for sale, I bought a '57 Speedy instead. So glad the refused my offer. What is meant to be, is meant to be.

18. abrod520 Jun 23, 2017

(Sigh.)

IMG_2483.JPG

19. Just Livin Jun 23, 2017

Congrats!
    Can't wait to see one of these in the flesh

20. abrod520 Jun 23, 2017

It's interesting, seeing it for the first time it feels like an old watch in very good condition, more than a new one. The tiniest bit heavy for its size though IMO, like the Carrera Calibre 18 Telemeter it's based on